Status: Active. (Nanowrimo 2013)

Mermaid's Lullaby

Encounter

He gazed over starboard, watching the sun set, and softly fade into a burst of orange, red, pink, and purple, and reflecting off the surface of the once blue water. Today had been yet another day busy day for him. Cast out. Let soak. Pull fish in. The same comfortable routine daily, ending with a clear view of the horizon to clear his mind. The same salty kiss of mist, like a wife to her husband as they embrace in their marital bed, and bid each other pleasant dreams.

He had no one to say good morning, or goodnight to. No one to remember days of their youth that have long since past. Not even a kind soul to share a meal with, and discuss the events of the day with. Since he was a young man, he had plenty of opportunity to find someone to spend his life by the sea with. A strong build, broad in the shoulders, balanced out with a head of wavy blonde hair, and hazel eyes. For years, he was asked by nearly every gentleman in the town to be the bridegroom for their precious, lovely daughter.

"I'm sure she is as sweet and kind, gentle and loving, as she is beautiful," he would always begin, "but I simply refuse to wed. Not only her, but to any woman, no matter how endlessly enchanting and sincere."

Naturally, this lead to many rumors, accusing him of being queer, after turning down everyone from the father of the charismatic and bosomy Ann Marie, to the grandfather of the intelligent and doe-eyed Elizabeth. Despite all this, he still set out every day, to sail the ocean, and reap her creatures from beneath her surface.

Suddenly, he heard a voice, only yards away from his vessel.

"Sail to me! Sail to me!"

After spinning around to see whom had been calling out to him, he froze in awe and horror.

He spied a maiden, completely nude, and resting on top of a large rock, glittering like onyx. Her long hair hinted at a sense of modest, flowing down in waves where her pale breasts would have been. However, the feature that drew most attention from him was her fish-like tail, dominating the lower half of her body, wrapped in strings of thousands of pearls.

"Please, sail to me," she sang once more, "I want to hold you!"

He stared at her, silently gripping the wheel of his humble fishing boat, and preparing the words carefully inside his head, finding himself increasingly interested in deciding whether she had friendly intentions, or she wanted nothing more than to feast on his flesh, and leave his bones to rot on the sea floor.

"You, miss, seem quite capable of making the short swim over to my vessel. I, however, am afraid of sail your way, and striking her up again those rocks you find yourself seated on. If you would be so kind, please sail to me!" She turned away slowly, resting her colorless face in the palm of her hand.

"I can not bring myself to shy away from this point, good sir. If other men were to spot me, I would fear more for their intentions. More than you fear me, and the destruction of your vessel."

"How do you know I'm not like other men?" She smiles meekly.

"Because you asked me to prove yourself to me. A man driven by greed or lust would not have been as hesitant to sail towards me."

"How do you know what we men are like?"

"You underestimate me, good sir. Now, I grow impatient, so I must bid you farewell."

"Farewell." He waved swiftly.

"May our paths cross again very soon, good sir." With a final nod, and a polite smile, she dove into the sea, leaving only sea foam in her wake. He shuttered, haunted by the certainty of the fair maiden's parting words.

His calm mood shoved aside to make room for uneasiness, he steered his boat towards the dock.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first Mibba story, and my novel for Nanowrimo. Please give me your honest opinion in the comments (what you liked, what I need to change, etc.) and please subscribe if you like it so far.