Everlong

I just want to fade away.

This whole routine is really starting to take a toll on me. Ever since I quit college and began working these awful part time retail jobs around the city, my life has become sort of meaningless. I've worked in 3 different retail jobs in the last year, and I think I may have finally found a little bit of stability working at Target. The pay isn't too bad, but the hours really suck. Really, the only good thing about working here is working with my best friend. Oh, and Starbucks is always a plus, especially when we have our 3 am shifts.

"Kat, can you take your 15 now?" Sammie calls out to me as she heads towards Starbucks.

I finished up what I was doing and did the same. I checked for some cash in my pocket and pulled out a five. Surely Sammie will cover the change for me. I ordered myself a Venti Vanilla Latte and grinned sheepishly at my best friend when I didn't have enough. She rolled her eyes at me and fished out a couple of quarters from her pocket.

"I love you." I said to her.

She waved me off and sat back down with her coffee. We sat in a quiet corner and watched the people outside struggle with their daily activities. We couldn't help but laugh at the people who struggled with bags and carts. Soon our fifteen minute break was over and we headed back to work.

"What time do you work tomorrow, Sam?" I asked her as we cleaned up the fitting rooms.

"I'm off tomorrow. I'm gonna be with my family all day for Thanksgiving. We're celebrating early, remember?"

"Oh yeah!"

I sighed to myself and dreaded coming into work tomorrow. It was no fun without Sammie working with me.

"So will you be home tonight or are you heading to your mom's after work?" I asked her a few minutes later.

"I have to stop by and grab clothes at least, but yeah, I'm going to mom's tonight. I'll be back Wednesday morning though." She said.

I nodded in her direction and finished my work load before heading out. I got off two hours earlier than her today, so I get the apartment to myself for a bit before she gets home.

I clocked out and grabbed my things. I noticed, on my way out, my manager leading a group of what looked like our new seasonal employees. The group looked especially confused when they passed through the little hallway. I smiled at those who glanced at me, hoping to ease their minds about working here. The job wasn't so bad, but some of the employees here were two faced and unreliable. There was a boy in the back of the group that caught my eye for a second. He was a little shorter than the rest, but something about him was intriguing. He wore a pair of black skinny jeans with a hole in the knee and a striped sweater. It was a really flattering shade of light blue and dark blue that made his black hair pop. I didn't catch a good look at his face at first, but he looked up quickly when he felt me staring at him. My face blushed what I'm sure was a deep shade of red.

"Shit." I whispered and quickly walked the other way.

I think I might have heard a giggle from the boy, but I wasn't risking it by looking back. I rushed outside to my beaten up trailblazer and sped out of the parking lot all the way home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My apartment was quiet and dark when I opened the door. I took a few steps inside and suddenly the whole place was filled with meows and little pitter patter of my kitten's feet.

"Hi Snow!" I cooed as I bent down to pet her.

She meowed excitedly and followed me into the kitchen so I could feed her. After I fed her, I went to my bedroom and stripped off my uniform of khakis and red shirt and changed into my favorite pair of ripped skinny jeans and my oujia board tank top. There was a local show tonight that I wanted to go to, but wasn't sure if I had anyone to go with. I quickly texted my friend Jesse and asked him if he was going. Since Sammie would be gone tonight, I figured I shouldn't stay home alone. It always gets bad when I'm alone. I touched up my make up in the bathroom and unpinned my long black and blue hair. I brushed it slowly and waited for my straightener to heat up. Jesse replied and told me he would pick me up in an hour. Once my hair was straight, I grabbed a bite to eat in my kitchen and waited on my couch for Jesse to show up. As I waited for him, my mind drifted to so many different thoughts, I truly believed my head was going to explode, but one thought in particular kept me sane.

That boy and his face might just be my downfall. His snake bites fit perfectly around his bottom lip and his angel bites were placed perfectly on the top, and even his septum ring was just right. Although my favorite part of him might have just been the way his freckles were just noticeable over his pale skin...or it could have been those bright blue eyes that stared back at me. I could have stared at him forever. A knock pulled me out of my trance so I looked up to see Jesse walking in the door.

"You ready, love?" he greeted.

I nodded and stood. I grabbed my keys and my phone, stuffed some cash in my pocket and followed him back out the door.

"You alright? You look a little pale today." Jesse asked as we got in his car.

"Oh, I'm fine. I just really need a distraction tonight."

"You got it, babe." he said to me.

I felt his hand on my upper thigh, and I sighed to myself.

This can't be all there is.
♠ ♠ ♠
First original story I've written in a loooooong time so feedback would be really appreciated. :)