Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 7

The next two weeks went by swiftly and before Elizabeth knew it she was standing in Kevin’s school. “It’s so big,” Elizabeth said in awe as she looked around the giant foyer. “It’s not that big,” Kevin said as he took her hand to lead her to her locker. “I won’t be able to be with you at all today, except for lunch. Andrea will show you around since she has almost all her classes with you, except choir but Emily will be with you in there, so you’ll never have to be by yourself.” Elizabeth nodded. Kevin showed her how to get into her locker and waited with her until Andrea showed up with Kyle. Once Kyle saw them he grimaced and walked towards the senior hallway while Andrea practically ran and jumped on Elizabeth. “Oh my gosh! I have you in almost all my classes!” Andrea exclaimed in excitement. “We’re destined to be best friends!” Elizabeth laughed and hugged Andrea back. Kevin waved and went off to his locker. Elizabeth watched him leave with a smile on her face.

“Come on I’ll show you were our first class is. Then you can meet my friends,” Andrea said as she drug Elizabeth off to her first class. Once they had set their stuff down Andrea led her back to the foyer where two girls were waiting. “Guys, this is Elizabeth,” Andrea said to her friends. “Oh my gosh! She is totally gorgeous!” the girl with short blonde hair and dark blue eyes said as she walked up to Elizabeth. “I’m Anna Smith and you are going to be the talk of the school by second period.” “Oh she will be,” the girl with long curly black hair and green eyes said. “All the guys will be drooling while the girls are staring in jealousy. I’m Mariah Cole.” Elizabeth blushed at their comments and shook their hands. “She’s even modest,” Mariah said with a smile. “The boys will definitely like her.”

“Oh, leave her alone,” Andrea said with a smile. “She’s already got a man.” “Who?” Anna and Mariah asked together. “Kevin,” Andrea said, her smile growing larger. “He’s not my man,” Elizabeth said with a blush. “We’re just friends.” “That’s how it always starts,” Mariah said with a smirk. Elizabeth ignored her and changed the subject. They told her how great school was going to be there, what teachers and students to look out for, and the latest gossip. “Did you hear about Dana?” Anna said. “No, what happened?” Andrea asked. “She hooked up with Mike over the summer and now she’s pregnant,” Anna said. “No way,” Andrea and Mariah gasped together. “I always knew she was going to get pregnant. She’s such a slut,” Mariah said. Elizabeth listened in disgust, pregnancy out of wedlock was a scandalous thing in her time and yet these three were joking about it. “Is this common thing?” Elizabeth asked, curious.

All three girls looked at her in shock. “Are you kidding?” Andrea asked, she didn’t know anything about Elizabeth’s past because Kevin had kept it between the family, Emily, Jason, and Kyle. “It happens all the time. Are you from some hermit town?” “No,” Elizabeth said. “I was just wondering if it was common here, back where I used to live it happened only once or twice.” The girls nodded. “Yeah, it’s not very cool, but a lot of girls here do it,” Anna said. “Then their lives are ruined by the baby and rumors,” Mariah said. Elizabeth nodded; the same happened in her time, you were basically a social outcast if you had a baby before you were married.

The day went by quickly and Elizabeth was fitting in perfectly. Everyone fell in love with her innocence and her beauty. She was even getting looks from the popular jocks, one in particular. Paul Lucas, the most popular boy in school, watched her intently. Her every move was like a graceful deer and her voice was like an angel. “Who’s the new girl?” Paul asked Emily as Elizabeth walked by. “Oh, that’s Elizabeth,” Emily said as she watched her walk by. “She’s an exchange student from England and she’s living with Kevin Fitzgerald.” “Really,” Paul said as he watched her laughing with Andrea. “I guess I’ll have to have Kevin introduce me to her.” Paul went off to find Kevin while Emily went to talk to Elizabeth.

“What’s up?” Emily asked as she walked up to Elizabeth and Andrea. “How’s your first day been?” “It’s been ok,” Elizabeth said as she leaned against a locker. “It’s really tiring though.” “Yeah, just wait until it’s finals,” Emily said with a smile. Elizabeth was like a little sister to her. Just then Kevin and Paul walked up. “Paul, this is Elizabeth,” Kevin said as he looked from Paul to Elizabeth. Elizabeth was mesmerized by the tall boy’s looks. His dark blonde hair was cut close to his head and his light blue eyes surrounded a ring of amber near his pupil. He also had a face that could stop any girl in her tracks. “Hello Elizabeth,” he said as he extended his hand. “I’m Paul.”

She smiled at his politeness and shook his extended hand, not noticing Kevin’s discomfort. “I couldn’t help but notice you today,” Paul said, his eyes scanning over her body. “You are definitely different from all the other girls here.” Elizabeth didn’t notice his comment or his eyeing; she was gazing at his dazzling smile. Kevin frowned as they walked away together. “What’s wrong Kevin?” Emily asked as she watched Elizabeth walk off with Paul. “Nothing,” Kevin said as he walked back towards his locker. Emily watched him but shrugged. He would get over whatever it was sooner or later.

The rest of the day Elizabeth was escorted by Paul from class to class. “Well, it was nice meeting you, Elizabeth,” Paul said as he dropped Elizabeth off for her last class of the day, choir. “It was nice meeting you to,” Elizabeth replied with a smile as she walked into the music room. She was greeted by shocked stares of the people in the room. “Did she just come up to the door with Paul Lucas?” one girl asked snobbishly. “Yeah, she did,” Emily said as she got up from her seat to show Elizabeth hers. “Do you have a problem with it?” The girl shook her head and looked in the other direction embarrassed.

Emily placed Elizabeth in a chair next to her and the teacher came in and began passing out music. “So, how was your day with Paul?” Emily asked Elizabeth as she passed her the music. “It was fine,” Elizabeth said. “He’s a nice boy.” “Is there anything other than a nice boy in your mind?” Emily inquired with a sly smile. “No,” Elizabeth said with a blush. He was a nice boy, but she didn’t like him that way. He was going to be a good friend if he was anything. “I was just kidding,” Emily chuckled. Elizabeth smiled and turned towards the teacher as she began plunking notes on the piano.

While Elizabeth was having a fabulous day with Paul Kevin was sulking. When people would as what was wrong he would either glare or ignore them completely. He wouldn’t even talk to Elizabeth on the way home. “What’s wrong Kevin?” Elizabeth questioned as she looked into Kevin’s brooding face. “Nothing,” Kevin said as he walked into the house. “I just had a bad day.” Seeing Kevin’s anger Elizabeth didn’t push the subject any further. She went up to her room and started on some worksheets she had to fill out.

Kevin stormed into his room and threw his book bag on his bed. “Why am I being so childish?” Kevin asked himself furiously. “It’s not like she’s automatically mine because I found her, she has feelings to.” Kevin jumped on his bed and placed his face in his hands. “Why is it that I feel this way? I can’t love her. Sure, I love her like a sister, but I can’t truly love her. I’ll apologize to her at dinner and let Paul have her. She knows what’s best for her.” Kevin walked downstairs to the living room and watched T.V. until dinner was ready.

The next day Paul was waiting for Elizabeth at school. As soon as he saw her he stole her away from Kevin, but Kevin just watched as Paul walked away with Elizabeth. Elizabeth turned and waved and Kevin returned the wave. He knew he had to be happy for her, even if it broke a part of his heart that he didn’t know he had.