Pency Prep

I never told you what I do for a living

Frank stood stacking random jazz sheet music when he heard the small tinkling of the bell, signaling a customer entering. Frank looked up to see a teen with raven red hair. The guy looked nervous, wringing his hands and licking his lips. Frank was curious why he looked so nervous as he walked near him.

“Um, hey. I saw the sign outside, for employment...”

Frank smiled at him, ‘’ You’re here to apply, right?’’

The guy nodded. “Yup.”

Frank looked the guy over. ‘’Well since its not busy here , I can interview you.’’

“Really?” He smiled, and extended a hand. “I’m Gerard Way, sir.”

“I’m Frank Iero,and no need to call me sir” Frank shook Gerard’s hand.

“Alright.” Gerard nodded.

“Hey Ray, I’m interviewing someone. I’ll be in my office.” Frank yelled.

A guy with afro-like hair stood a few aisles down and nodded. “Alright, I’ve got it out here.”

“Thanks Ray.” Frank smiled and motioned Gerard over to his office.

He followed Frank, but almost hesitantly.Frank smiled at the guy hoping to make him less nervous. A small smile was given in reply, but Gerard still remained a bit tense. Frank walked into his office and pulled up a chair for Gerard, whom hurriedly sat down, glancing at his hands, not making eye contact. “Hello’’ Frank started simply.

“Hello.” Gerard glanced up at the man.

“What kind of job are you looking to do here at Pencey Prep?’’ Frank smiled at Gerard.

He cleared his throat. “Um, I just need a job, and I’ve always felt kind of tied to music. My younger brother said that a position was open here, and so I figured I’d see if I could fill it.”

“That’s awesome; I always felt a connection to music myself.’’ Frank looked up at Gerard.

“Well, I would assume, seeing as you own a music store.” A natural smile appeared on Gerard’s features.

Frank laughed as he saw Gerard opening up a little. “Alright. Well, what are your music tastes?”

“I prefer rock or metal mostly.’’

“Really? Well, that’s good, because otherwise I don’t see how we would get along.”

“My favorite band is the Misfits.’’ Gerard looked around Frank’s office. There were several band posters, local and famous, and the wallpaper was a bit torn in places. All in all, it kind of reminded him of his own bedroom. “Nice office’’ Gerard smirked and looked at Frank.

“Thanks. And if you like the Misfits, then I think you’ve just about guaranteed your job here.” He chuckled.

“Really?’’ Gerard asked curiously, but with a smile on his face.

“Definitely. When can you start?”

“As soon as I can.’’ He took a breath, relief filling his blood stream.

“That’s great.’’ Frank smirked at his new employee. “Will tomorrow or the next day be okay?’’ he asked Gerard.

Gerard nodded. “Ya. Kool... Oh ya, what’s the pay?”

Frank bit his lip and nodded thinking. “I think we’ll start you off at minimum wage, and work up higher as I see how you pull off the work. Is that fine?”

“That’s great.’’ Gerard nodded his head and smiled.

“Alright. So, see you tomorrow, or the day after, Gerard?”

“Definitely, Mr. Iero’’ Gerard stood up and smiled , looking around the room again.

“Call me Frank.” He winked, then led Gerard out of his office.

“Thanks, Frank.’’ Gerard nodded and looked at Frank.

“No problem.”

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow Frank.’’ Gerard smiled and nodded as he walked out of the music shop.

Frank went back to what he was doing, but his thoughts were still on the new guy... There was just something about him.