Pency Prep

Give 'em hell kid.

Deep breaths. You won’t get fired on your first day. This is what Gerard thought as he heard the tinkling of the bell when he entered Pencey Prep.

“Hey Frank, Gerard is here,’’ Ray yelled from the desk at the front of the store.

“Great! Tell him to come to the J aisle!”

‘’ J aisle’’ Ray said, simply smirking at him.

Gerard nodded,”Thanks.” He looked up at the signs, then followed the paper directions.

Frank laughed a little as he finished up what he was doing. “Welcome to Pencey Prep.’’

“Thank you... So what do I start with?” Gerard raised his eyebrows a bit, attempting to look eager.

Frank looked around the store and thought for a second. “There is nothing really to do right now.’’

“Umm... alright.” He bit his lip.

Frank looked over to where the guitars were and walked over grabbing one of the rack. “Do you play anything?” He asked Gerard.

“No, but I like to sing,’’ Gerard looked down. “I’ve never really done it in front of anybody besides my brother though.”

“Really? Huh.” Frank strummed a few chords.
Gerard nodded his head, “That sounds cool.’’ He mumbled.

“Do you want to give it a try?” Frank raised his eyebrows.

“Umm.. sure’’ Gerard looked up and smiled nervously.

Frank gestured to the guitar as he handed it to Gerard. “First you need to make sure you are holding it correctly.”

Gerard held the guitar anxiously, “Like this?’’ Gerard raised his eyebrow.

He adjusted Gerard’s arms a bit. “There. Perfect.”

Gerard smiled a little when Frank adjusted his arms ‘’ Thanks’’ Perfect. He called me perfect. He shook his head. What am I thinking?...

Frank smiled at Gerard ,watching him and his newbie awkwardness. “I’m assuming you don’t know any chords?”

Gerard nodded his head feeling a bit awkward.

“Alright. Put your index finger here.” He pointed to a fret. “Then your middle finger goes here.” He showed Gerard a different fret and string.

Gerard smiled and copied what Frank instructed. Franks smiled at Gerard and nodded “Good, now do this.’’ He air-strummed dramatically, with a goofy smile plastered onto his features. Gerard smiled at Frank and strummed the guitar, but not as dramatically. The educator did a small clap, grinning. Gerard looked down and blushed.

“Bravo. You are definitely rockstar material.” A trademark sideways smirk appeared on Frank.

“Thanks; I would love to hear you play some more.’’ Gerard smirked back.

He acted like he was thinking. “Hmm... Only if you sing a bit.”

“Hmmmm , I don’t know.’’ Gerard smirked at Frank.

“Please?” He pretended to pout.

Gerard simpered. “Okay,’’ he blushed a little looking down.

Frank chuckled then began strumming, humming a vague tune.

Gerard smiled as he recognized the tune his boss was humming and started to sing along. He nodded, closing his eyes and just listening to the guitar’s rhythm. He couldn’t quite remember the words, but some others just came to him.
“Gravity don't mean too much to me/ I'm who I've got to be/ These pigs are after me, after you
Run away like it was yesterday/ And we could run away/ If we could run away, run away from here.
I’ve got a Bulletproof Heart. You got a Hollow Point Smile.We had our run away scarves, Got a photograph dream on the getaway mile.”

Frank gave the song a few different chords, changing it up a bit, making it unique.

The bell on the entry door gave its soft ring and Gerard stopped singing, looking for whoever had come in. Frank looked at Gerard confused as to why he stopped singing,then he looked over to notice somebody walking in.

A boy with rectangular glances and a dirty blonde mop of hair had stumbled into the store donning a wild grin. “Hey Gerard!” He looked between the two men. “Getting close to the boss are we?” His voice had a sort of natural slur to it, yet sounded pleasant all the same.

A bit sheepishly and with a bit of pink in his cheeks, Gerard responded. “ Hey, Mikey. What are you doing here?”

Mikey shrugged. “On my break. Thought I’d just stop by, ya know?”

“Oh.”

Frank looked at Mikey then back to Gerard. “Mikey, I’m Frank. Pleasure to meet you.”

“ ‘Sup Frank. Same.”

Mikey walked behind Gerard and wrapped his arms around Gerard’s neck loosely.Frank looked confused as he glanced between Gerard and Mikey as sudden realization hit his mouth formed an instant “oh”.

Gerard shrugged off Mikey’s arms. “Stawp.” He was grinning.

“Nope.” Mikey grinned back and continued to hang on Gerard.

Frank looked between them. “So, uh, how long have you two been in a relationship?”
Gerard looked at Mikey, face turning from it’s normal pale to obscenely red. “He is my brother,” Gerard mumbled and blushed while looking at Frank.

Frank’s eyes widened. Mikey’s shoulders began shaking with laughter.

Gerard looked at Mikey then back to Frank and could not help but to laugh a little. From the back off the shop came the ‘Fro Man. “Yo, Frank. Do you know where you put the--” Ray’s eyes landed on Mikey and he couldn’t find the words to continue.

Mikey looked over to where he heard the voice and he started to blush slightly when he looked over at the man. Mikey looked down trying to hide his blush as he looked back up at Gerard then to Frank then back to the guy with the afro.

Frank’s eyebrows furrowed as he looked between the two guys then shook his head. “Where I put what?”

“Um, sorry, uh... Shit, now I can’t remember.”

Mikey looked up and smiled at the guy with the afro then bit his lip and looked down because he was too nervous to say anything. Gerard elbowed his brother. “ What was that for?” Mikey whispered to him. Gerard just shook his head, smirking. Mikey looked up to notice the guy with the afro was still standing there as Mikey’s blush darkened.

Ray bit his lip, then stepped forward, hand extended to Mikey. “Hi, I’m Ray.”

“I’m Mikey” Mikey shook Ray’s hand and bit his own lip, looking up at Ray.

“Cool.” Ray smiled a bit then looked back at Frank. “Um, I think I was going to ask you where the old Smashing Pumpkins vinyl was put.”

Mikey looked back up at Ray and smiled widely “ You like the Smashing Pumpkins?”

“ ‘Course. You have to be an idiot to not like them. Well, them and the Walking Dead.”

“They’re one of my favorite bands,” Mikey grinned and looked down suddenly realising he was still holding Ray’s hand.

“Oh, um, sorry.” He quickly retreated his hand.

“It’s, ummm, okay’’ Mikey stuttered nervously.

Seeing the terrible awkwardness of the situation, Frank interrupted. “I think I put the vinyl next to the pick jars.” Ray backed up a few steps, then, nodding, he went in search of the object.

Mikey nodded at Ray and smiled before walking back up to Gerard, whom wore a smug expression. Mikey raised an eyebrow at Gerard questioningly, then looked to Frank and smirked as he walked away. “ ‘Kay, I have to get back to work. See you guys later.” Before Mikey left he spotted Ray at the front desk, “Bye, Ray.” Mikey waved as he exited the music shop.

Frank sets his guitar down, looking at Gerard. “I better go into the office and do actual work, so... uh... ya. Find something to do, I guess?”

Gerard nodded, looked through the music shop, and started to head for aisle M where he figured he could find something to do with the Misfits.