Big Changes

005:

Chapter Five
“Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!”

“Breathe Mary,” I laughed as she saw Sidney’s face pop up on the screen of my phone. I had just tried to call him but it went to voicemail, and was happy to see that he was calling me right back. I saw that they had just lost for the second time against the Red Wings, both times not even getting a goal, “He’s probably not going to be in a very good mood.”

“Right, sorry,” she said and I nodded my head and answered the phone.

“Hey Sid, how are you?” I asked as I sat on the bed and opened my laptop to check my Twitter.

“Ok, how’s orientation going?” he asked and I smiled, he sounded a little down, but it was nice that he wasn’t one of those one that are depressed after a losing game.

“It’s going really well, I have a roommate and her name is Mary,” I said and Mary smiled towards me and I saw her on her laptop.

“Is she nice?”

“Yeah, she’s pretty cool, we actually requested to be roommates in the fall because we’re getting along so well.”

“That’s awesome, where’s she from?”

“New York,” I said and then saw that I was getting a Skype call, “Uh Sid?”

“Yeah.”

“Are y’all at the hotel?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Because Gronk is Skyping me,” I said and then looked towards Mary and waved her over towards me.

“Gronk?” she asked and I nodded my head.

“Jordan Staal,” I told her and her eyes widened.

“What?” Sidney asked.

“Talking to my roommate, she’s a big hockey fan.”

“Oh wow,” Sidney laughed, “What team? Gotta say Penguins!”

“Rangers baby!” Mary yelled into the phone after I put it on speaker and accepted Jordan’s call.

“Ouch, that hurt,” Sidney laughed.

“Sid, go to Gronk’s room, it’ll be easier,” I said and saw Jordan’s face appear on the screen.

“KAY!!!” he yelled happily and I laughed and then looked towards Mary to see her squealing.

“All right, see you Kay,” Sidney said.

“All right, tootles,” I said and then hung up my phone and threw it next to me on the bed.

“Who were you talking to?” Jordan asked.

“Your Captain,” I said and Jordan snorted, “Shut up-“

“Who’s the pretty blonde?” he asked and I laughed and looked at Mary to see her practically fainting.

“Sorry Jordan, she’s going for your bro, not chew!”

“Which bro?” he asked, “You realize I have more than one,” he laughed.

“Your older one,” I said and he snorted and shook his head.

“I have two!”

“Marc!” I said and Jordan rolled his eyes.

“Please, I kick his ass in my sleep!” he laughed and Mary stuck her tongue out at him and I laughed, “So she’s a Ranger fan?”

“Yes sir, born and raised,” Mary said as she hoped onto the bed with me.

“Hold on ladies,” Jordan said and then turned his head, “You got that?”

“Who are you rooming with?” I asked and Jordan looked back at me.

“TK,” he said and I laughed.

“Aww, Tyler,” I laughed and Jordan rolled his eyes and then turned away from the camera.

“What the hell is this?!” he yelled, I knew he wasn’t talking to us, “Invading my space!”

“Shut up,” I heard and then saw Kris’ face appear on the screen, “Kay!”

“Tanger! What’s up hot stuff?!” I laughed and he smirked, “I haven’t talked to you in a while, how are you?!”

“I’ve been all right, taking the loss hard. I almost made that goal,” he said and I sighed.

“Don’t beat yourself up, it just wasn’t your day,” I said and he shrugged his shoulders and then sighed.

“Hey, hey, hey, I don’t speak freaking French!” Jordan yelled and I laughed and looked towards Mary.

“Seriously! Coolest roommate ever!” she said and I laughed.

“Who’s this?” I heard and saw Tyler’s face appear in the screen.

“Eek! Tyler Kennedy!” Mary squealed and I laughed.

“Hey TK, Tanger, this is my roommate Mary, Mary, meet Tyler and Kris,” I said and they waved at each other.

“Are you her roommate for orientation or for the fall?” Kris asked.

“So far just for orientation, but we’re trying for the fall,” she said and they nodded their heads.

Jordan turned his head when I heard a door closing, “Oh great, Captain Canada.”

Mary squealed and I laughed and patted her back, “Just breathe.”

“Kay!” Sidney smiled and I smiled brightly and waved like an over excited little kid.

“SID!!!” I laughed.

“Whoa! Why didn’t I get that kind of hello?!” Jordan asked and Sidney and I laughed.

“Because you don’t call me as much as Sid does,” I stuck my tongue out at Jordan and heard Mary laugh next to me, “Sid! It took you long enough, I was gunna send out a search party if you didn’t get here right meow!”

“Moew!” Jordan mocked and I laughed.

“Right moew!” I repeated and Jordan and I laughed.

“You guys are weird!” Sidney said and Jordan and I snorted.

“Bitches, we’re awesome!” I said and Mary laughed while the other guys rolled their eyes and shook their head.

“Yeah! Air five!” Jordan yelled and I laughed and held up my hand.

“So this is Mary?” Sidney asked ending the messing around. I nodded my head and looked over towards the excited girl, “Nice to meet you Ranger girl.”

“Rangers? What? Ew!” Tyler said and I laughed at the faces that the guys were making.

“Oh whatever,” Mary laughed and I smiled towards her.

‘…At least she’s a good sport about it…’ I thought and then the two of us talked with the guys until early in the morning. I wanted to get a chance to talk to Uncle P, but I guess he had fallen asleep.

It was almost three by the time Mary and I had gone to bed, and then four hours later we were being woken up by the school song being played over the intercoms in the rooms. We groaned and then slowly got up and looked at each other.

“Rock, paper, scissors for bathroom?” she asked and I laughed and nodded my head.

She ended up winning and then grabbed her stuff and went into the bathroom. I got a text from my Uncle saying that he was on a plane ride back to Pittsburgh and that he was excited to see me later tonight. Once Mary was out of the bathroom, I went in and did my stuff. By the time I got out, Mary had already packed her things up and was sitting on her bed playing on her laptop.

“We get to schedule our classes at two this afternoon,” she said and I sighed, “Did you make a preschedule?”

“Yeah, I worked on it last week, I just hope that I get what I want,” I said and she nodded her head.

After I finished getting dressed and ready for the day, I packed up all my things and then Mary and I met up with the rest of our group to head to breakfast.

The rest of the day was spent listening to lectures about campus safety, finical aid, clubs, getting my school ID and then scheduling my classes. I was really disappointed when I found out that I needed to take a math class, I hated math. Along with math, I needed to take Geography, Anthropology, Advertising and Communications. I also found out that some of my classes that I took at my Community College didn’t transfer, explaining why I needed to take some of the classes that I was taking.

After I finished with my Advisor, I met up with Mary again, because we were going to get dinner before heading back to the dorm to grab our things and go our separate ways until fall.

“So how do your classes look?” Mary asked as we sat at the little café that was by the school.

“I have a pretty good schedule, Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have classes from nine to two, Tuesday is eleven to two and then Thursday is eight to two,” I said and she laughed.

“That eight one is gunna suck,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“It’s my Geography lab,” I said and she sighed, “What about you? You never told me what you were majoring too.”

“Oh, I’m majoring in Interpreting of Deaf and hard of hearing,” she said and I looked at her confused, “Sign language,” she explained and then started to sign some things.

“Whoa! That’s so cool!” I laughed and she smiled and nodded her head, “How’d you get into that?”

“My little brother is deaf, so I’ve been learning for a long time now, I just figured, why not just major in it,” she said and I looked at her impressed.

“That’s really cool,” I said and she nodded her head and then told me her schedule.

“Monday, Wednesday and Friday I only have one class from one to two, well plus an online class, but that’s whatever, and then on Tuesday and Thursday I have class from ten to five, but there’s some breaks in there,” she said and I nodded my head.

“It’s gunna be a long day for those days,” I said and she laughed and nodded her head.

After we finished eating and talking at the café, Mary’s parents and my parents came to pick us up and we went our separate ways, ourselves even more excited for the fall than before.