Big Changes

006:

Chapter Six
When I got back to Uncle P’s house, I was attacked by little munchkins excited to see their favorite cousin. Once the kids were pulled off of me, I was pulled into a giant bear hug from my favorite Uncle.

“You’re home!” I yelled and he laughed and nodded his head.

“It’s good to see you kid,” he chuckled and then kissed my forehead.

“It’s good to see you too, I miss you,” I said and he laughed and nodded his head, “You’re gunna give me the tour of Pittsburgh, right?”

“I wish, but don’t you worry, I found someone that you’ll have even more fun with,” he said and I looked at him confused, “I need some extra practice on the ice.”

I sighed and nodded my head, understanding where he was coming from, “Can I go to the rink with you?”

“Sure,” he chuckled and I smiled brightly, “Actually some of us were going to head there in about two hours.

“But you just got home,” my mom said and Uncle P looked towards her.

“It’s the Finals, everyone needs as much practice as we can get,” he said and then placed his hand on my shoulder, “You wanna get changed? We’ll head over there a little earlier.”

“All right!” I said happily and then ran up the stairs towards the guest bedroom that I was staying in. I changed out of the skirt and blouse that I was were, trying to look presentable for meeting my advisor, and changed into some skinny jeans, a red and black plaid button up and some Vans. After I finished, I ran downstairs and headed towards the voices in the kitchen, I stopped just outside the doorway because I heard the adults whispering.

“Pascal, don’t get my daughter involved with any of those players,” my dad whispered and I listened, confused as to why he was saying this.

“She’s a big girl, Darin,” I heard my Uncle say, “She’s smart and she’s able to take care of herself, do you think I’m going to stop her if she wants to get involved with a hockey player?”

“She’s my daughter!”

“Yeah, your daughter that doesn’t even know her hometown-“

“We left because I didn’t want her being around hockey-“

“But yet what does she want to do with her life? She wants to manage a hockey team,” Uncle P said and I gave a little smile, “You can’t control your kid once she’s made up her mind, Darin.”

“Are you giving me parenting advice? I don’t see you raising a teenager-“

“But she’s not a teenager,” Aunt Carol said, “She’s twenty, she’s an adult. She’s able to make her own decisions.”

“I don’t want her getting into trouble,” my dad said and I rolled my eyes and shook my head, “I know what you athletes think, especially at that age!”

‘…Shut up, Dad…’ I thought and shook my head.

“I hear her up late talking to your teammates, her head is practically in her phone!”

“What’s so wrong with that? She made friends, dear,” I heard my mom say and I smiled.

“They’re not friends, Marie! They’re trying to get in her pants!”

“Darin!” mom yelled and I sighed and turned the corner, they didn’t notice me.

“What? It’s true! They’re trying to seduce her and they’re going to ruin her chance at a decent life-“

“Not all hockey players are like that, Darin!” Aunt Carol stated, “The boys on this team are good-“

“Max Talbot? Jordan Staal! Kris Letang? And that freaking Crosby, all girls want to do is get in his pants! Do I need to go on?”

“Shut up, Dad!” I growled and everyone looked towards me, ‘…Uh oh, should have stayed back…’

“Kay, how long have you been there?” Uncle P asked.

“Long enough,” I muttered while glaring at my dad, “I’m not stupid, Dad. I know that’s what some of them feel, but not all of them are like that and all I want is to be their friend. I’m an adult-“

“You’re going to get yourself into trouble and I’m not going to bail you out!” Dad said and I sighed.

“Then don’t, why would I want help from someone who doesn’t trust me. I’ve done nothing wrong for you to mistrust me,” I said and then looked towards my Uncle P, “Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah,” he said and then grabbed the keys on the table, “We’ll be back later.”

“Have fun, honey,” Mom said and I gave her a little smile.

Uncle P and I walked out of the house and headed over towards his SUV, for half of the car ride was an awkward silence. I didn’t know what to say, didn’t know what to do. I wanted to cry, but I was tougher than that, so I just choked them back.

“Kay,” Uncle P started and I looked towards him, “Don’t let what your dad say get to you, he’s always been a stubborn bastard.”

“I don’t understand why he’s being like this!” I said and looked back out the window, “I’ve done nothing wrong.”

“He’s afraid of losing his little girl. You’re moving to a new place, a thousand miles away from him. You’re growing up too fast,” he said and I sighed.

“The more he acts like this, the more he’s pushing me away,” I stated and Uncle P sighed.

“Look, I know what you’re going through, Darin and I were the same way with our mother way way back,” he said and I snorted, “Plus, your dad use to be a horny bastard while he was on his old team.”

“What?!” I asked shocked.

“But if you tell anyone that I said that, I’ll kill you!” Uncle P said quickly and I scoffed and looked back out the window.

“Not like anyone would believe me,” I stated, “Not perfect worry wart dad.”

“Hey, he’s not so bad, you’re Dad’s just looking out for you,” Uncle P said and I sighed and nodded his head, “Cheer up, you’re going to see your favorite people.”

“All right,” I smiled and then saw that we were pulling into the Igloo parking lot. I gawked at the big building and then saw that there were only three other cars in the players parking lot.

“Coach, Doc and Sid are here,” Uncle P said and I looked at him and then looked down, trying to hide my excitement at the fact that Sidney was here.

Uncle P parked his SUV and we walked into the arena and headed towards the locker room. Just as we got to the door, I heard blades on the ice and decided to head that way. Uncle P got the idea and headed into the locker room and I knew he was going to change into his gear.

I walked up to the ice and saw that Sidney was skating around, shooting the puck into the empty net and practicing his speed. I leaned against the boards and watched as he soar on the ice, ‘…God, he’s so gorgeous…’ I thought and smiled when he finally noticed me.

“What are you doing here?” he asked and I smiled and stood up straight.

“Came with Uncle P to check you guys out and see if you really are the shit,” I said and he chuckled and leaned against the boards.

“Well for the record, we are the shit,” he said and I laughed.

“Are you the only one here?” I asked and he shook his head, “I meant other than my Uncle.”

Sidney chuckled and then shook his head, “Max is in the gym.”

“I didn’t see his car in the parking lot.”

“He came with me, his car’s in the shop,” Sidney said and I nodded my head, “He was already at Mario’s place, so we decided to come together.”

“Mario’s? Mario Lemieux?” I asked and he nodded his head.

“Yeah, I live with him, he’s kind of like my second set of parents,” Sidney said and I giggled, “What?”

“That’s so cool that you live with him,” I said and Sidney smiled, “Are you every going to move out?”

“Maybe, I like it there too much,” he said, but I knew that he was kidding, “Naw, I plan on building my own house in a year or two.”

“Really, have you been designing your own place?” I asked and he shrugged his shoulders.

“Not really, I know I want to buy some land and just build the house from scratch, but I don’t know where or what to build yet.”

“Oooo! Can I help? If I didn’t like PR, Architectural Design was going to be my next choice of a major,” I said and Sidney laughed.

“Really?” Sidney asked and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Sometimes I still try to design my dream house,” I said and Sidney chuckled.

“Do you have your work with you?” he asked and I shook my head.

“It’s in my sketch book at home,” I said and he shrugged his shoulders.

“So then freestyle it on a piece of paper,” he said and I laughed, “What?”

“I can’t just freestyle it,” I said and he tilted his head.

“Why not? Isn’t that what they all do?” he asked and I smirked and shook my head, “Then what?”

“They get to know their client before they drew their home. That’s how they make home,” I explained and Sidney smirked.

“Sounds like you would be a good real estate agent too, you’re selling me a home,” he said and I blushed and stood up straight.

“I’m good at persuading people,” I said as I placed my hands on my hips and smirked.

“Oh, I’m sure you are.”