Freak: When the World Went Crazy

Chapter 1

"Can we go now?" asks Kit. "I'm tired of looking. Nothing is in here."
"We have to finish our run. We-shh! Did you hear that?" I put a finger to my lips, signaling silence. "Weapons out."
I pull one of my swords out of the sheath that is attached to my back. Noticing me, Kit goes to grab her bow. I shake my head, and she picks up her bat off the floor instead. She always insists on using her bow, no matter the loss of arrows.
We left Base about an hour ago. We grabbed the last of the food from Food-Mart and now we're at the pharmacy getting antibiotics. We hadn't encountered any Crazies yet. But you can never be too careful in this world. Or what's left of it.
I hear it again, a scraping noise, in the back room… The only place we have not checked yet. I put two fingers up and point to the back room. Kit nods and slinks over to me. As quietly as I can, I make my way over to the back room door, while Kit watches. I slightly open the door and peek through. I whip my head out of the doorway and I slowly walk back over to Kit, as silently as possible.
“Two Crazies, one next to the door and one by the far wall. Want to know the best part? The antibiotics are on the far wall. Three bottles.” I say, smiling maniacally. Kit nods and smiles, indirectly letting me know that she is ready to go. I walk back to the door, not being quiet, but also not being loud. When I get there, I turn to Kit, grab the door handle, and turn towards her, holding up three fingers. Kit holds up and I start counting down with my fingers. 3… 2… 1…
I yank open the door, while standing behind the door and Kit starts loudly tapping her bat on the ground. The two Crazies come flying through the door, trying to find the source of the noise. As the second one comes running through the door, I bring my sword up and around, slicing through skin, flesh, and bone, completely severing the head. I look over and see that Kit has taken the bat to the other one. Kit looks up and walks over to me, wiping the blood from her bat on a shirt that she had found. I clean the blood off my blade with the shirt of the dead Crazy, then put it away. I walk over to the shelf in the room and grab the antibiotics. As I walk back to Kit, I start laughing.
“Not bad for a twelve year old.” I say. We hear running in the hallway and all hilarity is gone. I whip my swords out of the sheaths and hold them up, crossing over each other. I hear Kit drop her bat, and see her grab her bow, and string an arrow onto it out of the corner of her eye. A figure comes bursting through the door, full speed, and drops to the floor.
“Oh. It’s just you.” Kit says.