Freak: When the World Went Crazy

Chapter 5

I snap back to the real world. Everyone is staring at me with worried expressions on their faces.
"You okay?" Kit asks. I stare blankly at Dan, astonished, trying to comprehend what had just happened.
"Murderer..." I whisper, finally understanding what I had just seen.
"What?" Dan says, as my head snaps up.
"Murderer!" I scream, jumping across the table, knocking Dan backwards onto the floor. I punch and punch unable to stop, no wanting to, only wanting justice. Arms go around me, pulling me back, and I let them. The arms pull me to my feet as Dan gets to his. He spits blood onto the floor, glaring at me.
“You good?” Len asks me from behind. I nod and he lets me go.
“There is something that I need to tell you. All of you. I-” Dan cuts me off.
“What the fuck was that for, asshole?” Dan says bitterly.
“Shut up and let me explain! You want the truth? Well, here it is. I see things from different points in time. The past, the future, whatever. It started as second long glimpses, just long enough to know what’s going on. They’ve been going on for longer periods of time lately, which brings me back to now. Guess what I just saw? You. This morning. That man? What right did you have to end his life? I should’ve known that you were that kind of person. But now I do. So go ahead and stay, but I'm leaving." I turn to leave but not before seeing confusion, understanding, and recognition cross his face.
I walk over to the ladder that is built into the wall and climb it to get to the rafters.
When we first got here, I noticed the rafters that started halfway down the warehouse and immediately claimed them to myself. Not being that high, I added more baseboards to stabilize them. I also have a mattress in one corner, books in the other, and weapons in the third (an axe, a box of ammo, the usual).