‹ Prequel: You're Still the One
Status: Updating Regularly

Parenthood

Trouble

“She what?” Billie exclaimed into the phone. The past two days with Emma had been pleasant and she had caused little trouble for Billie. That all came to a screeching halt when he got an unexpected phone call from her kindergarten teacher.

“Well, Mr. Armstrong I'm afraid Emma is in a little bit of trouble. She and another student, Robby got into an argument and she hit him.” She informed.Billie scratched the back of his neck.

“Uh, hit him where?” Billie asked hesitantly. Mrs. Amy sighed.

“She busted his nose.” She answered quietly Billie groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“She didn't.” He mumbled.

“I'm afraid she did and Robby is in quite a bit of pain.” She explained. Billie sighed tiredly.

“I need to come get her, right?” He asked while pulling on his jacket and cradling the phone with his shoulder.

“Yes, the principal is speaking with her now. I'm very sorry Mr. Armstrong.” She told him. Billie rolled his eyes.

“Trust me, you have nothing to be sorry about, Emma will be very sorry. I can promise you that.” He said while picking up his keys and ending the call. Billie was pissed. Where the hell had she even learn to do that? No daughter of his was going to pull that shit and get away with it.

~***~

Billie walked through the elementary school quickly. He wasn't sure how he'd handle the situation, but knew it would be dealt with. He racked his brain the whole drive over trying to figure out how Emma could have learned to punch people. He didn't teach her that, and Julie sure as hell didn't do it. The closer he got to the front office, the angrier he got. Emma knew better than to do something like this. The angriest he's ever been with her was the time she smacked Julie for taking her taking her barbie doll away. It was the only time Billie has ever been angry enough to fully scream at his daughter. Emma fucking knew better. He opened the office door to see his five year old sitting in a chair beside the principal's office. She moved her gaze from the floor to Billie. He knew by the look on her face, she knew she was in trouble. He was met by Mrs. Amy.

“Mr. Armstrong, it's nice to see you again.” She said while handing him Emma's backpack.He smiled as politely as he could and nodded. Billie let out a deep sigh.

“Is the boy she hit alright?” He questioned.Mrs. Amy nodded.

“His parents are on their way.” Billie looked over at Emma and then back at Mrs. Amy.

“Do you know why she hit him?” He whispered to her.She nodded.

“Apparently, Robby wanted to play with the same toy she did, and when he wouldn't let her have it, she well, punched him in the nose.” He scratched the back of his neck nervously.

“So, is she like suspended or something?” He asked. Mrs. Amy shook her head.

“No, but we have a very low tolerance for violence, therefore if it happens again that may be the case.” She informed him. Billie nodded.

“Did she apologize?” He questioned. Mrs. Amy shook her head.

“That's where we have some issues. She refused to apologize to him.” She informed him. Billie fought the urge to growl and bit his tongue.

“I'll make sure he gets an apology.” He finally spit out.

Emma glanced up at him and quickly looked away when he noticed. When he finally signed her out, he turned and grabbed her hand as they walked towards the school parking lot. Billie was desperately trying to keep his cool. Emma remained silent the whole way home, which actually surprised Billie. It was when she got out the car that she decided to speak.

“Daddy am I in trouble?” She asked as they walked in the house.

“Big trouble.” He said while pointing at the couch.

“Sit.” He said sternly. Emma obeyed and quickly sat down on the couch. Billie was silent as he paced the living room floor, trying to figure out where to begin.

“Are you mad at me, Daddy?” Emma finally asked. Billie stopped pacing and shook his head.

“No, Emma I'm not mad at you.” He told her. Emma's head shot up.

“Really?!” She exclaimed.Billie nodded and sat down on the coffee table in front of her.

“I'm disappointed in you.” He whispered. Emma frowned.

“What does that mean?” She said while swinging her feet back and forth. Billie put his hand on her knee to cease her kicking.

“It means that what you did makes Daddy sad, because you didn't listen to me the last time this happened. Remember when you hit Mommy?” He asked. Emma nodded sheepishly.

“You yelled at me, Daddy.” She answered. Billie nodded.

“Didn't I tell you, it's not okay to hurt people when they make you mad?” Emma nodded and looked down at her flowery dress.

“Yes.” She whispered. Billie sighed.

“What you did was wrong, Emma Rose. You shouldn't have hit Robby and you knew better than that.” He scolded. Emma crossed her arms.

“He took my toy!” She exclaimed. Billie glared at her.

“That doesn't matter. You shouldn't have hit him.” He snapped. Emma sniffled. Billie sighed and shook his head.

“Tears won't work this time, Emma.” He said softly. Emma continued sniffling and rubbed her eyes.

“You will apologize to Robby, and mean it.” He added. Emma gasped.

“He started it!” She yelled. Billie closed his eyes and tried to remain calm, but that was becoming harder and harder. He leaned in close and forced Emma to look into his eyes.

“I don’t care who started it, you will apologize.” He whispered harshly. Emma gulped and nodded. Billie stood up and walked into the kitchen, and grabbed the phone. As he sat back down in front of Emma, she froze.

“A-are you calling Mommy?” She questioned.Billie nodded while looking for the hotel room number.

“Are you going to tell her I got in trouble?” She asked. Billie shook his head and pointed at her.

“You are.” He said while dialing the number. Emma just looked at the floor.

~***~

“Hello?” I answered hesitantly.

“Hey, baby.” Billie greeted. I smiled and sat down on the chair in front of the desk the hotel provided.

“Hey, I was just thinking about you.” I said while crossing my legs.

“How's your grandmother?” Billie asked while looking over at Emma. I sighed.

“It's bad, Billie. She's dying.” I said softly. Billie sighed into the phone.

“I'm sorry, Jules.” He whispered. I ran my hand through my hair.

“I'm fine, okay? Mom's taking it pretty hard though.” I said while looking around the room.

“How's my lovebug?” I asked. Billie got quiet.

“Why don't I let her tell you about that.” He answered. I frowned.

“Uh, okay?” Billie handed the phone to Emma.

“H-Hi Mommy.” She greeted. I smiled.

“Hi lovebug. Whatcha been up to?” I asked. Emma looked at Billie and he urged her to continue.

“I- um- I got in trouble, Mommy.” She confessed. I raised my eyebrows.

“You got in trouble? What did you do?” I questioned. There was a long pause.

“I- I hit R-Robby in the n-nose.” She stuttered out. I gasped.

“Emma! You know better than that!” I exclaimed. Emma sniffled.

“I- I'm sorry, Mommy.” She cried.

“You better tell Robby you're sorry.” I scolded.

“I- I will.” She whimpered.

“You do everything your Daddy tells you, understand?”

“Yes, Mommy.” She answered. I sighed.

“I love you.” I whispered. Emma sniffled.

“I hiccup love you hiccup too.” She replied.

“Give the phone back to Daddy.” I whispered. Emma rubbed her eye and handed Billie the phone.

How bad is it?” I asked. Billie sighed.

“They didn't suspend her, but they very well could have.” He answered. I shook my head.

“Are you going to take Leroy away?” I asked quietly. Billie was silent.

“Yes.” He answered. I knew that would make everything a lot harder on Billie without me there, but Emma needed to be punished.

“I miss you.” He told me. I smiled weakly.

“I miss you, too, my love.”

“Hug your Mom for me.” He whispered.

“I will.” We were silent again.

“I love you, baby.” He finally said. I grinned.

“I love you, more.” I answered.

“I'll call you later, okay?”

“Okay, I'll talk to you later.”

“Bye, Jules.”

“Bye, babe.” I said while ending the phone call.

~***~
Billie ended the call and looked at Emma, who was still crying. He sighed and set the phone down on the coffee table. He forced her to meet his gaze again.

“You're going to have to give me Leroy, okay?” He whispered. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks as she nodded and went to her room to get Leroy. It broke Billie's heart to see her so upset, but she had to be punished. She walked back with Leroy under her arm and stood in front of Billie. He held out his hand and waited for her to hand it to him. She sniffled and hugged Leroy close before gently placing him in Billie's hand. Her bottom lip trembled and Billie was on the brink of caving.

“You'll get him back when your punishment's over, okay? Go to your room.” He said gently. Emma wiped her nose with her sleeve and walked slowly to her bedroom. Billie sat there on the coffee table, ready to cave at any given moment. He hated to have to punish Emma like this, but knew he had to for her to learn.

~***~

Emma stayed in her room for the majority of the day, she was allowed to come out to go to the bathroom and eat dinner. Billie had given her a bath and was getting her ready for bed when she asked him a question.

“Daddy?”

“Hmm?” He said while combing through her hair.

“D-Do you still love me?” She asked quietly. Billie looked down at the little girl sitting in front of him and sighed.

“Daddy never stopped loving you, Emma. Even when you disappoint me, I'll still love you.” He whispered while putting the comb down pulling her onto his lap. She curled up against him.

“Daddy doesn't like to punish you like this, but Emma you have to learn that it's not okay to hit people.” He explained. Emma nodded.

“I'm sorry I disappointed you, Daddy.” She said softly. I'll tell Robby sorry tomorrow, too.” She added. Billie smiled and patted her head.

“I was beginning to wonder where my sweet little girl had gone. Is she back?” He asked. Emma grinned and nodded. Billie smiled and got up and laid her down on the bed.

“It's bedtime, munchkin.” He said while pulling up her covers and comforter. Emma rubbed her eye sleepily.

“Daddy, I miss Leroy.” She mumbled. Billie stared down at her for a minute and sighed.

“If I give Leroy back you have to promise me something, alright?” Emma nodded.

“I don't want to get another phone call like I did today again, promise me you won't hit anybody else, okay?”

“You won't! I promise, Daddy.” Emma vowed. Billie stood up and walked into the bedroom and grabbed Leroy off the bed. Truthfully, he probably would have ended up giving him back tonight since it hurt him so much to see her give him away so easily. He wouldn't dare tell Julie that. He squatted down beside Emma's bed and handed him to her. She instantly wrapped her arms around him and squeezed.

“Thank you, Daddy.” She beamed. Billie smiled and leaned forward to kiss her cheek.

“You're welcome, munchkin. Go to sleep, okay?” Emma nodded.

“I love you, Daddy.” She whispered. As he was walking towards her door. Billie paused and smiled.

“I love you, more.” He whispered back as he turned off her light and closed the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, guys. Stupid school got in my way... So, what did you think of this one? Let me know!!!

Comment&Subscribe!

xoxo