‹ Prequel: You're Still the One
Status: Updating Regularly

Parenthood

E-M-M-A

Mommy, why do you have to go?” Emma asked while I finished packing. I sighed as I folded my last shirt.

“Emma, I told you. Mommy has to go with Nana to visit my grandma. She's really sick and Mommy wants to go see her.” I explained. Emma played with the zipper of my suitcase.

“Why, why can't I go with you?” She asked. I smoothed her hair.

“You have school, lovebug. You don't want to miss that, do you?” Emma shook her head.

“Who-who's going to take me to school?” She questioned, knowing that I'm usually the one that does.

“Daddy will.” I answered.Emma crawled up on the bed. “Daddy will do everything that Mommy usually does, okay?” Emma nodded.

“How long will you be gone, Mommy?” Emma asked. I zipped up my suitcase and sat it on the floor.

“Today is Saturday, and Mommy will be back on Thursday. That's six days.” I answered. My grandmother lived in Seattle, so my mother and I would be flying out there to visit her. Her health had been declining for weeks, so Mom feared this could be our last chance to see her.

“Six whole days, Mommy!” Emma gasped. I nodded.

“You'll have fun with Daddy.” I cooed. Emma nodded sadly.

“I'll miss you, Mommy.” She said softly. Emma was used to Billie being gone from time to time, but this was the first time she'd have to be away from me. I gently picked her up and hugged her.

“I'll miss you, too baby.” I whispered. “But, Daddy will be here all week and you'll be having so much fun you won't even have time to miss Mommy.” I promised. Emma laid her head on my shoulder.

“Okay, Mommy.” She whispered. I walked out of our room and into the living room where Billie was busy talking to my mother.

“Hi, Nana.” Emma whispered. Mom turned from Billie and her eyes lit up.

“Hi, my little love.” She cooed while kissing Emma on the forehead. Billie went to grab my bag. As we walked out the front door to my mother's car, I continued to hold Emma. I kissed her face a few times and handed her to Billie.

“You be good for Daddy, alright?” Emma nodded and laid her head in the crook of his neck. I grabbed his face and kissed him. “I'll see you soon, my love. Take care of our little girl for me.” I whispered. Billie smiled and kissed me again.

“We'll be fine, Jules.” He whispered. I nodded and kissed both of them one last time before getting in the car. I could tell that Emma was ready to cry, but I desperately tried to ignore it.

“Tell Mommy bye.” Billie said while waving at me. Emma waved, but just barely. By the time we pulled out, she was in full blown tears.

“Mommy!” She wailed. I hated seeing her this upset, and I eventually had to just put my head in hands to try and ignore it as we drove away. Billie turned to walk back in the house.

“Emma, baby, it's okay. Mommy will be back.” He said softly. Emma continued crying.

“I- I want M-Mommy.” She hiccuped. Billie wiped her tears away with his thumb, but they just kept coming.

“Emma, you need to stop crying, you'll make yourself sick, honey.” He said while swaying her from side to side. “Shh, it's okay.” He soothed while walking over to the couch and sitting down. Emma rubbed her eye.

“Daddy?” Billie moved her hair out of her face.

“Yes, baby?”

“I want Mommy.” She told him. Billie kissed her head.

“I know you do, Emma but Mommy needs to go see her Nana. She's sick and Mommy loves her, like you love your Nana.” He explained. Emma laid back against his arm.

“But, I need Mommy's help.” She whimpered. Billie raised his eyebrows.

“You do? With what?” He questioned. Emma sighed.

“Mrs. Amy says that I have to write my name, but I don't know how.” She told him. Billie nodded.

“Daddy can help you.” He offered. Emma's eyes lit up.

“Really, Daddy?” She exclaimed. Billie nodded.

“It's easy, munchkin.” He said while picking up his spiral notebook and flipping to a blank page. Emma sat up and watched as he printed her name. “Okay, your name is Emma so it starts with an 'E'.” He said.

“An 'E'?” Emma repeated. Billie nodded.

“Then, you have two 'M's' in your name. Can you think of anything else that makes the 'M' sound?” He questioned. Emma thought for a second.

“Munchkin?” She questioned.Billie nodded.

“That's right, and the last letter is an 'A'.” He stated. “Wanna try?” He questioned. Emma nodded and took the pencil from him. Emma tried to copy the 'E' but needed a little help.

“Here.” Billie said while helping her print an 'E'. She had no trouble copying the M's and when she got to the 'A' she smiled.

“Like this, Daddy?” She asked while printing a scribbley 'A'. Billie smiled.

“Yes, baby just like that.” He said while kissing her head.

“It doesn't look like yours, Daddy.” She told him. Billie chuckled softly.

“You just need a little practice.” He told her. Emma hugged him.

“Thank you, Daddy.” She mumbled against his shirt. Billie smiled and patted her head.

“No problem my munchkin.” He whispered. Emma got up and stood on his thighs while holding onto his hands.“What are you doing, baby?” He asked while keeping her steady. Emma giggled.

“Jumping!” She exclaimed while jumping up and down. Billie's eyes widened and he lifted her up.

“Let's not jump on Daddy's legs, okay?” Emma frowned.

“Why? It's fun.” She stated while jumping again. Billie shook his head and stopped her.

“No, it hurts.” He said. Emma frowned again.

“Mommy lets me.” She said matter-of-factly. Billie raised his eyebrows.

“Well, I'm not Mommy and I said no.” He answered. Emma huffed in frustration. Billie stood up with her on his hip.

“Oh, whatever will Emma do?” He teased while walking into the kitchen. Emma crossed her arms as Billie sat her on the counter and placed his hands on either side of her. “What do you want for dinner, Emma? He asked. Emma stayed silent. He smirked. “Don't ignore, Daddy.” He whispered. Emma looked at him and then back down. He sighed. “Emma if you don't tell me what you want, Daddy will choose for you.” He threatened. Emma looked up at him.

“Ice cream.” She answered. Billie raised his eyebrows.

“Ice cream? Emma you can't eat ice cream for dinner.” He said gently. Emma frowned.

“But, Daddy! Mommy never lets me do that.” She whined. Billie laughed.

“Why should, Daddy?” He asked. Emma grinned and hugged his arm.

“Because you're the best Daddy in the world.” She gushed. Billie smiled.

“Are you just saying that so I'll give you ice cream?” He asked. Emma shook her head and giggled. Billie sighed and walked over to the freezer.He sat the pint in front of her and grabbed a spoon. He pointed directly at her. “Don't come crying to me if you give yourself a stomach ache.” He stated while handing her the spoon.Emma took it eagerly and began filling her mouth full of ice cream. Billie grinned and wiped her mouth.

“I won't!” She vowed. Billie moved her and the ice cream to the table.

“Daddy's going to go make a phone call, okay?” Emma nodded while continuing to shovel in the ice cream. Billie walked into the bedroom and quickly made his phone call. He hadn't been gone ten or twenty minutes, but by the time he came back to the kitchen, Emma had eaten over half the pint of ice cream. “Emma! Did you eat all of that ice cream?” Billie exclaimed. Emma nodded slowly and held her stomach.

“Daddy, I don't feel so good.” She whimpered. Billie squatted down in front of her.

“Do you feel like throwing up?” He asked softly. Emma nodded. Billie sighed and carried her over to the couch. He laid her down on the couch and sat down on the coffee table. “If you think you're going to throw up run to the bathroom, okay?” Emma nodded slowly and held her stomach. Billie felt guilty for leaving her alone with the ice cream for as long as he did. He stood up and walked into the kitchen to clean up the mess she had made on the table. He was just finishing wiping off the table when Emma whimpered and leaped off the couch.

“Emma?” Billie called as she ran towards the bathroom. Billie followed and found her leaning over the toilet.

“Daddy?” She whimpered as she started to cry. Billie crouched down behind her and rubbed her back.

“It's okay, it's okay.” He whispered as she continued vomiting. When she was finished, she turned and laid against Billie. “I feel icky.” She whined. Billie sighed and picked her up as he stood.

“I know, baby.” Billie said while walking into her bedroom and sitting her down on the bed and crouching down. “You wanna go lay in the big bed?” He asked. Emma nodded. Billie changed her clothes and put her into pajamas. “Daddy's sorry you feel bad, babydoll.” He said while walking into the bedroom and laying her down on the bed. Emma curled up next to him and sighed.Billie smiled and ran his hand through her hair. “Remember this the next time you want ice cream for dinner.” He said.

“No more ice cream for dinner.” She mumbled. Billie kissed her head.

“Daddy?” Emma whispered.

“Yes?” Emma looked up at him.

“Can we not tell Mommy I threw up?” She questioned. Billie smirked and nodded.

“I think that's for the best.” He whispered while turning out the light. He pulled the comforter over her and continued running his fingers through her hair. He sighed as she finally fell asleep. It's going to be a long week.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies! What did you think of this one?

Comment&Subscribe!

xoxo