‹ Prequel: You're Still the One
Status: Updating Regularly

Parenthood

Tampoms

“Emma, c'mon.” I called as Billie and I walked through the grocery store. She has been stopping in every aisle we passed making this trip take a lot longer than it should. I sighed and looked at Billie. “Get her, please.” I begged. Billie nodded and went to retrieve our wondering child.

“C'mon munchkin.” He said while picking her up. “Let's ride for a while.” He said while sitting her down in the cart. I was thankful she didn't put up a fight and just sat there. As we made our way down the soap and shampoo aisle, I saw out of the corner of my eye Emma reaching for a familiar looking box.

“Mommy, what are these?” She asked while holding up a box of Playtex. I gasped and put them in the cart.

“Nothing, Emma.” I answered, not wanting to go near that subject. Pretty soon Billie came up to us with a pack of razors in his hand.

“Daddy, what are these?” Emma asked him, obviously not satisfied with my answer. Billie glanced up from the razors.

“Tampons.” He answered nonchalantly. His eyes then widened at the realization of what he had just said. “Shit, I didn't mean to say that.” He told me. I glared at him.

“Nice going, dipshit!” I chided. Emma grinned.

“What are tampoms?” She asked, pronouncing the word wrong.I sighed.

“They're for big girls.” I told her, hoping she's accept that. Emma frowned.

“I'm a big girl. Are they for me?” She asked.

“God, I hope not.” Billie muttered. I elbowed him in the side. “That hurt.” He whispered. I glared at him.

“No, Emma they're for big girls like Mommy.” I told her.Emma nodded. Finally, she was satisfied with an answer. “I can't believe you told her.” I scolded. Billie held his hands up in surrender.

“I didn't mean to! It just slipped out.” He replied.

“Now, she'll be asking me a hundred questions about it.” I groaned. Billie sighed.

“I'm sorry, maybe she'll lose interest.” He said hopefully. I rolled my eyes. That would be too easy for Emma.

We get to check out and Billie lifted Emma out of the cart and held her while I got everything else out. Emma watched carefully as the checkout clerk scanned everything and put them into bags. When he got to the tampons, Emma grinned.

“Those are tampoms, they're for Mommy cause' she's a big girl.” She informed him.

“Emma!” I scolded. I looked at Billie, who was trying to control his laughter behind Emma. I glared at him. He quickly stopped laughing.

“Emma, you don't tell people that.” He whispered, trying his best to be stern. Emma frowned.

“Why not?” She pouted, wanting to share her new knowledge with everyone.Billie looked at me and then back at Emma.

“That's something only Mommy needs to know, okay?” He answered. He leaned forward and whispered something in her ear. Emma nodded and looked straight at me.

“Sorry I 'barrassed you, Mommy.” She mumbled, looking agitated that I scolded her.

“It's okay, Emma.” I answered. I was happy with the way that Billie handled it. Emma doesn't know any more than she did, which is the way I wanted to it stay for a little while. I was paying the clerk when Emma started squirming in Billie's arms. He frowned.

“What's wrong, baby?” He asked.Emma grabbed his face and whispered something in his ear. Billie nodded.

“Oh, Mommy we have a situation.” He sang. I raised an eyebrow.

“I have to go potty.” Emma announced. I sighed.

“I'll take her.” I said while reaching up to grab her.Emma shook her head.

“No, I want Daddy.” She argued. Billie shook his head.

“Daddy can't go into the Girls room, honey.” He said gently as he tried to hand her to me.

“No!!” Emma whined as she held on to Billie. Hurt spread across my face. Why didn't she want me? People were lining up behind us and the clerk was still waiting, I let out a deep sigh.

“Just take her.” I whispered. Billie looked at me questioningly.

“Jules, the Men's room?” He questioned. I nodded.

“Just cover her eyes if someone's in there.” I said while filling out a check, trying to not seem phased by her actions.Billie touched my arm.

“Julie...” He started, as Emma began squirming again.

“Daddy!” She said urgently. He sighed and let go.

“I'll be back.” He told me as he turned and walked toward the restrooms.

~***~

When we got home, Emma still didn't want anything to do with me. I tried to not let it get to me, but anytime I talked to her, she tried to ignore me. I bit my lip as I finished making her dinner.

“Billie, why is she acting like that?” I asked. Billie leaned over and kissed my cheek.

“I don't know, but she'll get over it. That's the beauty of a five year old.” He joked. I smiled and called for her.

“Emma, come eat!” I shouted.Emma came out of her room and sat in her seat. I smiled and sat her bowl of macaroni down. Emma made a face of disgust.

“Ew.” She whined. I frowned.

“Emma, you love macaroni.” I said while smoothing her hair. Emma shook her head. “Emma, please eat it for Mommy.” I pleaded. She just sat there. Usually when I say that, she does it. Not this time. I looked at Billie and sighed. “See if you can get her to eat.” I said. “I'm going to take a shower.” I added while putting down the dish towel. Billie grabbed my hand as I turned to leave.

“Jules, don't take it personally.” He whispered. I held back tears and walked away. How could I not take it personally? My baby doesn't want me. I quickly wiped away a tear and shut the bathroom door.

~***~

When I walked out of the bathroom, I went into the living room to find an empty bowl of macaroni on the couch. I smiled and took it to the kitchen and set it in the sink. I heard voices coming from Emma's room and I went to stand outside her door. Billie was sitting on Emma's bed with her in his lap. They were looking at our photo album.

“Is that Mommy?” She whispered. I assumed she was looking at our wedding pictures. Billie nodded.

“Mmhm.” Emma turned the page.

“Who's that baby?” She asked. Billie chuckled.

“That's you, silly.” Emma frowned.

“Why do I look so little?” She asked. I covered my mouth to muffle my laughing. Billie laughed.

“You had just been born.” He explained. Emma turned the page.

“Mommy was mean to me.” Emma mumbled. Billie smoothed her hair.

“When was Mommy mean to you?” He questioned. Emma looked up at him.

“At the store. Mommy yelled at me.” Billie sighed.

“Emma, you embarrassed Mommy. She wasn't trying to be mean to you. Your Mommy loves you.” He whispered. I smiled.You love Mommy, don't you?” Emma nodded. Billie kissed her head. “I think you need to say sorry to Mommy.” He whispered. Emma sighed.

“But I already did.” She whined. Billie shook his head.

“You need to again.” He said a little more forcefully. Emma sighed.

“Okay, Daddy.” She answered. I smiled and crept into her room.

“What are you two doing?” I asked while sitting down on the bed.

“Just talking.” Billie answered. I nodded. Billie nudged Emma and motioned towards me.Emma crawled off Billie's lap and into mine.

“I'm sorry I was mean, Mommy.” She said while laying her head against my chest. I smiled and looked up at Billie. “Thank you.” I mouthed. Billie nodded.

“It's okay.” I cooed while leaning down to kiss her head. “You wanna sleep in the big bed, lovebug?” I asked. Emma's eyes lit up.

“Yes!” She squealed. I laughed.

“Go brush your teeth and Daddy can read to you.” Emma grabbed my hand.

“Will you read to me tonight, Mommy?” She asked sweetly. I smiled and looked up at Billie.

“That okay, Daddy?” I asked. Billie nodded.

“Fine with me, I need a break from “Alice in Wonderland.” He said while standing up. I grinned as Emma got up and sped to our bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, Emma...haha! I laugh every time I write a new chapter. So is there anything in particular you guys would like Emma to do, ask, or say? Anything is welcomed. :) Thank YOU to princessace for your wonderful comment. :)

Comment&Subscribe!

xoxo