Trophy Fathers, Trophy Son

Trophy Fathers, Trophy Son - Kellic (Chapter Three!)

*Mikes POV*

Mom and I were just leaving the Quinn house, and I have to say Kellin seems pretty cool. I mean in a shy sort of feminine way. We walked back up the porch. As soon as mom opened the door I rushed upstairs like a bull in the Bronx.

“Don’t forget to tell Vic about picking Kellin up Michael!” I heard my mom shout from the edge of the stairs. I gave her a quick ‘K’ not slowing my speed. I stormed into Vic’s room only to find him sitting there with his guitar looking at me with amusement.

He furrowed his brows looking back down at his guitar. “Well, you sure know how to knock don’t you?” He spoke softly.

Vic is really quiet, always going unnoticed. I’m not sure why nor how we became so different. Polar opposites I guess! Nobody knows about him being gay, well except me of course. I found out a few months ago after “coming across” a note he had wrote in his journal and he swore me to secrecy. Honestly, I don’t care if he is gay or not, he is my big brother and I love him.

“Dude, why didn’t you come with me and mom?” I asked.

“Because I didn’t feel like it. Dude” He said mockingly with a chuckle. “Besides you know I’m not the ‘Oh my god welcome to the neighborhood!!’ type.” He said with a strum of his guitar.

“Well it’s a dad and his son.” I said with the widest grin. “The son is in your grade, or well I think so anyways.”

Vic hesitated for a moment which made my grin widen and said “Oh?” with another strum.

I smirked “Oh?! Fucking ‘oh’ is all you’re going to give me?!” I snapped.

He looked up at me, his eyes full of amusement, “What do you want me to say Mike. It’s just a guy?” He said with a bit of a chuckle.

He sat there for a moment and suddenly jumped up, “Wait, Mike! What the hell are you thinking? No, no, no. I know what you’re thinking. And it’s a no. Period no. Michael. NO. Don’t fucking medal” he wined, throwing his guitar on his bed while attempting to pace.

I moseyed my way past him, sitting on his bed gesturing from him to sit. “Bro, you need to see some new people. This Kellin boy seems cool. And plus mom volunteered us to drive him and me to show him around school, but now I volunteer you to show him around.” I gave him a pat on the back and a wink before I got up and left his room, giving him no time to protest.

“Mike! What the hell?! I haven’t even met him!!” I heard him snap as I walked to my room and closed the door. I felt totally proud of my choice. Damn being a little brother is fucking hard but it’s worth it.

*Kellins POV*

I woke up to my dad slamming into my room shouting at me to ‘wake the fuck up’. I got quickly to my feet and he snatched me by my shirt collar, giving me no time to understand.

“Now you’re going to go to school and you’re going to have a good fucking day. Do you understand boy? There will be no around there, will be no wasting time.” He said, his nose so close to mine I could practically smell the alcohol residing in his mouth.

“Y-yes sir. School. No wasting time” I shuttered.

He let my shirt go and slamming my shoulders up right.

“Them Mexicans are generous enough to give your faggot ass a ride. I swear to God boy if you embarrass me, you’ll have hell to pay.” He spoke with a smirk as he turned and left my room, slamming my door in the process.

I sighed a breath of relief and when I heard his footsteps dissipate, I made a B-line to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind me. I quickly jumped into the shower letting the hot water wash over my body. Showers seem to fix everything, only for a moment though, a moment of serenity. I got out and made my way to the sink, examining myself in the mirror.

“Fucking worthless.” I muttered to myself.

I quickly crossed the hall into my room and got dressed. A hoodie and black skinny jeans seemed good enough to fade into the background at this new school. As I grabbed my backpack I heard a loud knock downstairs, at the front door. Glancing at the clock, it was only 7:05. Who could that be?

“Kellin, Mike’s here!” My dad said in that fake cheery voice.

I sighed. “Their early.”

I hustled down stairs to find Mike standing there with his goofy grin.

“He man, I totally know were early and stuff but we were gonna grab some food before school. You ready?” He said with a point out the door.

“For sure man” I said as I walked by my dad not even glancing at him.

I shut the door quickly to find a small red car in my drive way with a boy at the driver’s seat. Mike must have noticed me examining the car and the driver.

“Oh that’s Vic, my brother, the one I was telling you about” Mike said with a cheeky grin and a wink. “Oh and he’s really quiet, so don’t let that offend you or anything.”

What was with the wink? What the hell. He led me over to the passenger side opening the door gesturing me in, I quickly shook my head, “No dude, your car you’re up front” I said quickly.

“Ugh, you’re the guest here” He said with a chuckle and roll of his eyes, shoving me in.

I sighed and got into the car noticing Vic’s eyes were scanning my entire body. I still didn’t make eye contact with this stranger. My stomach did an entire flip and butterflies invaded my insides. This was awkward. Why was this awkward?!

Mike hopped into the back seat. “Alright, Kellin this is Vic, my older brother” Mike said motioning towards Vic. “And Vic this is Kellin” He said pocking his head up from the back seat.

“Um – uh. H-hi” I shuddered, looking up at the Mexican boy sitting next to me. His eyes wear beautiful. Amazing shades of brown, I swear I could just melted in his eyes. His shoulder length brown hair was absolutely a perfect mess. And, don’t even get me started on his arms! They were perfectly muscular. Fuck, Kellin! Stop! NOW. What is wrong with me?! This didn’t happen when I first met Mike. Breath Kellin, Breath.

When I looked up, Vic was just looking at me, and with a hint of red in his cheeks he said “Nice too meet you, Kellin” with a soft smile as he put the car in drive and pulled out of my drive way.

“Nice, now that the awkward meet and greet is over – let’s find some food!” Mike said from the back seat. I noticed Vic give him a death glare in the rear view mirror. I wonder why that was? And I wonder why meeting this Vic boy was so awkward. He is Mike’s brother so what the hell is wrong here? Thankfully Mike didn’t make let it stay awkward. He kept conversation, while Vic seemed extremely quiet.

“So Kellin, what the hell brings you to San Diego?” Mike questioned.

Glancing up from my lap to look at the road ahead I spoke “My uh dad, he um wanted to move after my mom left – uh divorced him, he uh couldn’t stay there anymore.”

“Oh man, I’m sorry bro.” Mike said in a soft tone. Vic nodded in agreement.

“No I mean, I miss her but it’s okay. She got away from something bad and I’m just, it’s okay I uh I… I” I trailed off shifting awkwardly in my seat.

Noticing my instant discomfort, Vic was quick to say “Uh so food? What are you in for Kellin?” with a boyish smile.

Okay, so I said his eyes I melted in but that smile will be the death of me!

“I-I honestly don’t care. Whatever is good for you guys is good with me.” I said shyly.

“STARBUCKS!” Mike shouted from the back seat. Vic and I let out a small chuckle and with that we pulled up to a Starbucks. My door seemed to not want to fucking work, even though I jiggled the handle about a million times. Vic quickly got out and shifted around to my side opening the car door for me.

“Sorry, thanks” I muttered.

“It’s no problem, this door has a mind of its own sometimes” Vic said with a soft smile.

That SMILE! It gave me instant butterflies. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mike standing there with the biggest goof ball grin. Was I missing something here? We all walked into Starbucks, getting food, going back to the car and heading towards where I presume school was to be. All the while Mike not letting one moment be silent. He rambled on about different bands and different cars, asking me a few questions here and there Vic and I just chuckling every now and then. Once we pulled into the school parking lot, the awkwardness had returned.

“So um, where do I register and everything?” I spoke softly towards Mike.

“Oh, actually – Vic is gonna show you around. I gotta get to class early for uh something important. See you man!” Mike said and with that I was left standing with Vic. Alone. With Vic. Alone. Shit.

“Let’s go, it shouldn’t take too long to get your registered.You’re a senior right?” Vic said with a hint of hope in his voice while we started walking.

“Yeah. Senior I am.” I said with a shy smile. I felt my face burn red. ‘Senior I am’ I thought, did I really just say that. Vic let out a small laugh.

He once again opened a door for me, the front entrance. This school was so huge! At least 2 times bigger than my old school. My eyes immediately widened. My god, I know I’m going too totally 100% be lost. Vic noticed my ‘lost puppy eyes’ as soon as we stepped foot in the front door.

“Hey, don’t worry. I’m here to help. It’s not as big as it looks” Vic said with a reassuring smile. God that smile! I gave a small smile back as we walked to a door that read ‘FRONT OFFICE’.

Vic helped me get registered and got my classes. The bell had already rung twice; I’m assuming Vic and I were going to be late. But I didn’t care; I didn’t want him to leave me alone.

“Ah perfect. Mr. Lockwood it is” Vic said in a low tone, studying my classes. “You have Mr. Lockwood as your homeroom teacher, his class is right next to mine” Vic said with a big smile. My tension was dissipated when he smiled at me.

“Cool, now at least it won’t be totally and completely awkward” I said with a chuckle.Vic smiled and proceeded to lead the way.

We walked a bit further down the hall way and came to some stairs. God, I hate stairs. Most of the hall way was completely empty, except for the few stragglers. We pounced up the stairs and came to a door.

“Here we are” Vic said with a smile. “I’ll see you after class okay?”

I gave a quick ‘thanks’ and a smile before entering the room. Instantly everyone’s eyes were on me. I didn’t even look at them; I simply walked to a man who I assumed was the teacher by the outfit and horrible gray hair. He gave me a smile and said “You must be the new student”

“Kellin uh Kellin Quinn” I said shyly.

“Welcome Mr. Quinn. Find a seat and take out some paper, we’re just about to get started.”

I made my way down the aisle of starring teenagers. When I went to pass this one ginger headed guy with a ‘jock’ pose to him, he coughed “Faggot” into this hand, instantly make the class snicker. I stopped right in front of him, as he glared at me. I have no idea what pushed me into saying what I did. But I did…

“I don’t remember asking for your opinion” I snapped back at the guy. A classroom full of ‘oohs and ahhs’ invaded the air. I turned around and made my way to the only available seat, right behind the guy whom just called me a faggot. My blood was boiling. How could someone just judge me without even knowing me! I swear to god. Can I not catch a break? It’s my first day and already this is happening. I sat there in silence the rest of the class, noticing a few dirty looks from guys sitting in front of me. I rolled my eyes and let my mind wonder to Vic.

Vic was so kind. He seemed like a true gentelman. How he opened the door for me, both times. How he seemed to be really interested in my story, when we were in getting breakfast at Starbucks. I know I literally just met him this morning, but I couldn’t get him off my mind. What was with this guy? I certainly knew he must be straight though. Right?

The bell rang snapping me out of my thoughts. I gathered my things, not that I took any notes, and headed towards the door. I wanted to find Vic and run into his arms. I looked over the crowd but seen no sign of him. Where could he be? I frowned at the thought of him leaving me. All of a sudden I felt someone’s hand around my waist. I jumped in immediate terror.

“Hey whoa sorry!” I heard a familiar voice say. I turned to find Vic standing there with flushed cheeks.

“No! I’m sorry, I uh I thought you might have been that guy from my homeroom, fucking with me again” I said with a sigh of relief.

“What? What guy?” Vic said in a demanding voice, looking around.

“No. No its fine. I’m fine. Next class?” I asked handing him my schedule, wanting to change the topic fast.

He gave a concerned look, but it was washed over by a smile. I loved the way he furrowed his brows, with his concentration on my schedule.

“Damn” he spoke silently. “Your next two classes are on the opposite side of the building from me.” He said with a frown. “Come’on”

Before he walked away I grabbed his arm making him stop in his tracks.

“I-I don’t want to make you late Vic. I’m sure I could find it.” I spoke softly hoping he wouldn’t take my offer seriously.

He smiled and said “No. I’m showing you around. Nobody else. It just sucks your class’s are that far away from mine. But it’s okay because their right next to each other. So you won’t have to walk far” With that he gave me a reassuring smile. ‘I’m showing you around. Nobody else.’ That statement stayed in my head the entire walk to my next class.

My next two classes were the same. People snickering at me. I honestly guess I looked stupid or something. When the second class was over I knew it was time for lunch. I quickly walked out of the classroom, Vic nowhere to be seen. Two guys pointing at me made me stop my looking around. They were headed straight for me.

“Oh shit” I said softly, clinching my books to my chest, dreading what was to come next. Were they part of that jock from homeroom, Mattys ‘group’ ? Where they here to kill me now?

“Hey your Kellin right? Vic sent us to get you. Lunch time and all. I’m Jaime” The boy with spiky hair said.

“I’m Tony, nice to meet you man.” The other boy said with a cheeky smile.

“I um, where’s Vic?” I asked the first thing to pop into my head.

“Oh uh he had to um leave for a while. He wasn’t feeling well” The Jaime boy said glancing at the Tony boy.

“Is he okay?” I asked with a hint of fright to my tone.

“No no, he is totally fine, he just felt like leaving. He uh he said he was going to for sure pick you and Mike up though. And he was really sorry. Like really sorry. He made us promise to show you around” Tony said with an instant smile.

“Oh uh okay” I spoke. I wish Vic would have been here though.

Lunch went by pretty fast, answering questions for the guys. Thankfully Mike was there. Nobody seemed to have a straight answer to where Vic was. I tried to shrug it off, but it wasn’t happening. Tony and Jaime took turns helping me to my last two classes. They all seemed really cool actually. But I was still wondering about Vic. Tony said he was still picking me and Mike up, so. Mike was waiting outside my last class for me.

“Hey Kellin!” Mike said in a cheery voice. “Com’on bro. Vic’s waiting”

I followed Mike out the back of the school where my heart did a little jump when I saw Vic standing there, up against his red car.

Vic arms uncrossed and he rushed to me “Kellin, I’m so sorry. Jaime and Tony helped you to your class’s right? That guy didn’t mess with you again right? I’m sorry, I just uh had to go home for a bit” Vic said in a bit of a panicked voice. It was actually there cutest thing I’ve ever seen before in my life.

“Vic it’s okay. They helped me” I said with a reassuring smile. “And don’t worry about that guy, he was just some jerk picking on the new kid” I gave a soft smile.

Vic gave me a smile and grabbed my bag for me, tossing it over his back heading towards the driver’s seat. Mike peeking out of the back of the car “What jerk?!” he snapped.

“Oh uh just some guy. He was in my homeroom. I think his name was Matty” I said as I hopped into the car. Mike instantly looked at Vic with wide eyes. Vic was staring out the windshield gripping the steering wheel. I noticed the tension instantly. Shit, I hope I didn’t just insult anyone.

“Matty. As in Matty Mullins? As in 5’11 red headed Matty Mullins” Mike questioned, not taking his eyes off the now steaming Vic.

“I uh – well I mean yeah. Did I just cross some invisible line I didn’t know about? I’m sorry, I didn’t know he was your friend or something. Shit, I’m sorry.” I spoke softly, looking down at my lap.

Vic turned his head towards me, using his hand to pull my chin up and cupped his hands around my cheeks. (Oh god, my heart stopped)

“Kellin, if he messes with you again, tell me. You promise you will tell me. I don’t give a shit what he says, if he breaths in your air space, tell me. Okay?” Vic said in a demanding, yet calm tone still not releasing my cheeks.

“Really it’s okay. He just stated what I didn’t exactly want people to know my first day. I um, he just uh… I” trailed off getting completely lost in Vic’s eyes. They were so brown. Perfect pieces of chocolate.

Vic shook his head. “He’s trouble Kells, just please promise me you’ll tell me” He asked.

‘Kells’ Oh god. That nickname. Kells?! He just called me Kells.

“I – I promise.” I spoke softly looking down, his warm hands still cupped my cheeks. He looked at me for a few more seconds, biting his bottom lip. “Okay” he said with a soft smile, releasing my cheeks. Although he could have held them forever, and I wouldn’t have cared. He put the car in drive and proceeded to drive down the street.

Mike blowing a sigh of relief, “Thank god its fucking Friday” Mike said with a chuckle. I almost had forgotten he was back there. When Vic pulled into my drive way, I hopped out. Vic did as well.

“Kellin wait up.” He said as he jogged over too me. “Hey were having pizza tomorrow night. My parents are going out and the guys are coming over. Tony and Jaime. If you want you should come.” He said with a grin.

“Uh yeah sure. I’d love too.” I said with a blush on my cheeks.

"Perfect, just uh give me your number and Ill text you the time and stuff." He spoke softly.

I gave him my number and with that he smiled and walked back to his car. It’s cute how he pulled up into my drive way when he lived next door. God, I wasn’t actually falling for a guy I barely knew was I?! I walked into the house, instantly smell alcohol, my dad stepped out from around the corner holding a bottle of Jack.

I knew exactly what was about to happen. Before I knew it I was screaming “Dad no! Stop! Please – sto.” But it was too late…