Status: New inspirations!

Everything Has Changed

Lily

At the age of 20, I was completely unsure of what I wanted for my future. My brother, Brandon Prust, was already lining up his future, now playing for the Montreal Canadiens. I went to university for a year but I quit, it wasn't for me. Now I was living with my brother and his girlfriend in Montreal, working at Starbucks and completely ready for a fresh start. Starbucks was certainly not the fresh start I was hoping for.

The season was just starting to get into swing as the lockout finally ended. I could see the relief for my brother, ready to get back in the locker room with the guys. There was also some new young faces on the team, getting fans excited for the future Canadiens team.

The team was having a charity dinner tonight and Maripier was out of town for work, so Brandon decided to bring me as a date. I was excited, it was something to do that didn't involve my pj's and a bottle of wine.

Actually, there could be a couple glasses in my future tonight.

I put on a simple, black, sleeveless dress and black heels. It was January still, so I grabbed my coat and scarf and we were out the door.

"You don't leave my side" he said, in a fatherly tone.

I hated when he brought out the fatherly tone.

"Yes Dad" I replied sarcastically, scanning through my phone quickly before shoving it in my coat pocket, "I'm a big girl you know. Plus, half your team is married or almost twice my age, so I think I'm safe"

He clenched his jaw, "There will be a few prospects there. Ones who are still trying to make the team"

I sighed, "Again, I'm a big girl"

"It's not you I don't trust it's--"

I cut him off, "Them, I get it Brando, but you can't treat me like I'm 16. Dad does that enough"

He sighed, "Sorry. I hate turning into dad"

"You will whether you want to or not" I laughed, "Is that a gray hair?" I reached up putting my hand in his hair and he dodged away, running a hand through it, "Very funny" he said as I laughed it off walking ahead of him. The hotel the dinner was at wasn't far from the apartment, so it was a few minutes walk in the cold before we stepped through the lobby doors. They pointed us in the right direction and the room we stepped into was big, round tables, a platform at the front with a mic and waiters standing around the room. Tables had about eight people at each. I sat down next to Brandon, taking my coat off as he began chatting with Josh Gorges next to him. Also at the table was Gorges wife, PK and his girlfriend and two of the younger guys, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk was the talk of Montreal, being drafted third overall in last summers draft.

My brother finished chatting with Gorges and looked across the table, "Hey boys" he caught Galchenyuk and Gallagher's attention and nodded towards me, "My sister, Lily" they both nodded in my direction and I finally caught a good look at both of them. Brendan had a great smile and seemed happy all the time. He was physically attractive, there was no doubt, and my age. Alex was good looking, but he seemed quiet, serious and a little on edge. I think it was the Russian in him. But I noticed him laugh, and it's like all of it disappeared. They both seemed nice, but as I looked over at my brother, he noticed I had been looking and I saw his eyes widen a bit, with a slight jaw clench.

"Lighten up" I whispered, "I'm not going to try anything" he seemed more relaxed but he began to keep his eyes on them now.

As the night wore on, money was raised and food was eaten. People had gotten up and were around at different tables, chatting with each other, laughing and drinking, including myself. I had a couple glasses of wine into me, but I remained at my table, not bothering to follow my brother around. I had already met a few of the guys, that's all I needed.

I was honestly glad to get out of the house and get some free food.

I kept my eyes forward, in a daydream when I felt someone sit next to me, his eyes forward too. I broke out of my daze and looked over to see Alex, to my surprise. He noticed me looking at him and caught my eye, "Hi" he said putting out his hand, "Didn't get to really say hi earlier" you could notice the Russian accent, but I liked it.

"My brother made sure of that" I said shaking his hand. My eyes were still locked with his and my felt a pang in my stomach and I pulled my hand away and looked down at my glass.

What was that?

He was better looking up close, he had nice eyes, they were soft. His grip was strong on my hand and his short smile was enough to erase the bit of harshness that seemed to grace his face, from hockey.

"Protective?" It was a second before I responded and looked up at him again, "Uh...yah, very" I couldn't seem to lock eyes with him again, so I turned to my wine and took a sip.

It was quiet between us for a while. I found myself tapping my fingers rhythmically on the table while he was looking through his phone.

"Why aren't you with the guys?" I asked, "I thought you'd be mingling"

He chuckled at my comment, "I'm kind of bored"

"Really? But this party is totally rad" I said with a smirk. He laughed at my sarcasm and I looked back at my wine again.

"Your brother is really protective" he nodded forward and I turned to see Brandon watching, trying to be subtle, but I could see he was concerned.

"He was afraid of one of you younger boys sweeping me off my feet" I explained.

He laughed again, and it was somehow like music to my ears. I could listen to him laugh all night, "You have a nice laugh" I told him, hoping I could blame the wine.

"That wine getting to you?" He asked, as I finished off my third glass in front of him.

I shrugged, "Maybe" I looked behind me and noticed Brandon still watching me and then I got an idea.

Or the wine got an idea.

"Don't hate me for doing this" I said.

"Doing wha--" before he could finish I leaned in and kissed him. He was surprised for a split second before he leaned into it and then I pulled away. I caught his eye for a second, and I felt that pang in my stomach again.

It was the wine, it had to be.

"Uh..."

"Sorry" I told him. I stood up and saw my brother coming in my direction, not impressed.

"Did I draw a crowd?" I asked Brandon as he stepped in front of me.

"What was that?"

I pointed to the wine, "Three glasses" I shrugged, "It just came out"

He looked back at Alex, who was still stunned and my brother leaned across and smacked his arm, "What was that?"

Alex stood up quickly, looking around the room for an escape "Uh--I--"

"It was all me" I told him. My brother looked at me, knowing it was all to just piss him off.

"We're going in a few minutes, grab your coat" he said, moving towards another crowd.

I turned around to Alex and laughed, "Sorry, I just--"

"It's fine" he said, "I'm not complaining"

I smiled and looked down, grabbing my coat, "I'll see you around then?"

He nodded, "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded, "Can I call you?" He asked.

I slipped my coat on and chuckled, "No." He looked surprised and I laughed, "My brother, remember?" I leaned in Brandon's direction, "I'll see you again, don't worry" I looked around, making sure there was no one watching, and kissed him again, and it seemed to last a little longer this time. I shouldn't have, because the pang in my stomach returned and it lasted, "Bye Alex" I left and met my brother at the door.

"That wasn't necessary"

"It was harmless" I replied, "It's no big deal"

He didn't reply, but I could see he was disappointed. It didn't bother me, partly because of the wine, and partly because I just didn't care anymore. He'd be over it by tomorrow morning anyways, when his hangover kicked in and he forgets most of the nights events.

As he walked ahead I touched my lips for a moment, still tingling.

The nights events came out of nowhere and even surprised me. I did tend to cross the line now and again, but I knew my entire family was used to it. I wasn't the black sheep of the family, persay, because we all got along, but my behaviour did tend to get a little erratic sometimes and surprising, even to me.

The air wasn't as cold now, I guessed because of the alcohol. As I continued the short trek home, I thought about Alex and how intrigued I was by him. How I wanted to know more despite everything in me telling me I shouldn't, that my brother wouldn't allow it. It's unbelievable that after knowing someone for two hours, give or take, you could feel so incredibly connected. I didn't even know how we were connected, but when I shook his hand, kissed him...

My thoughts trailed off and I thought about kissing him again and I felt my cheeks burn up.

I liked it.