There's Oceans In-Between Us, but That's Not Very Far

Chapter 009

Image

I've been sitting in my room for like an hour when my cell phone rings. It's like the first time it's rang since I've been here.

"Hey," I answered.

"I so told you that guy was Corey Bohan," Kelly said sounding kind of exciting on the other line.

"What?" I said not understanding why.

"You're hooking up with Corey Bohan. He's like one of the best BMXers ever."

Ok. I love BMX don't get me wrong. But I don't really pay attention to names.

"Ok. How would you know this?"

How does she know his last name before I do?

"There's pictures of you guys over Australian magazines and on the internet. I have them right in front of me."

Um... I never thought that BMXers were paparazzi worthy. That's for Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton. But then again it is an Australian mag. If he's the 'best BMXer ever' maybe he's is worthy. But he never told me he was pro or anything. I asked if he did it and he just went for a jump and hurt his ankle. Then it hit me. If Kelly's reading these magazines, who else is? And how is she getting them?

"You're kidding me," was all I was able to get out.

"What's your mom going to say?"

Fuck. I never thought of that. As long as none of those mags come across my moms gaze, everything's just fine.

"Let's just hope she doesn't find out. But hey, thanks for telling me. I'll call you later if anything happens," I said wanting to get the store and see the magazine for myself.

"You have to tell me all about Corey later though."

Can you tell she's a fan of his? I never would have.

"Fine. Late," I said and hung up the phone. I opened my door and almost ran into Matt. What does he want? "What?" I asked looking up at him.

"Have you seen this?" He asked shoving this mag in my face.

I look and see the magazine was like the Australian version of Star or something like that. And Corey's face is on the cover. The headline is Bohan's Beauty. I take the mag from him. I flip through it until I find the story. Of course there's a picture of us when we kissed that one night outside of the bar/club place. Isn't that a good way to make a good first impression to anyone.

"So it looks like he's keeping something from you," Matt said after he thought I read through it.

Yeah this kind of made me mad. Why didn't he just tell me he was this 'superstar' BMXer? And that this kind of stuff happens to him.

"How'd you get this?" I asked. I didn't think he left but he might of.

"Mom gets them," Shit shit shit... I have to hide this somewhere. Unless she's seen it, but I hope not.

"Has she seen it yet?" I asked hoping to god the answers no.

"I don't know... I saw it on the table and grabbed it."

Well that was nice, but I was still pissed. I pushed past him and stormed out the front door, mag in hand and walked next door to Corey's house. I pounded on the door taking a little frustration out on it. He answered the door with this smile on his face. The minute he saw my pissed off expression that smile faded so fast.

"Hey, you ok?" he asked.

"Explain this," I said shoving the article at him. His eyes read over it and obviously fell on the picture.

"Amber I was going to tell you, but I just wanted to wait for the right time," he said.

"When? At you're contest when there's a million more cameras around so they can get my reaction when I found out that you're this big shot BMXer," I said getting pretty close to yelling.

"It's just I didn't want you to get all freaked out when I told you or start liking me for the wrong reasons. I've met a lot of girls and all of them did one of those two things. I just didn't want that with you. Amber, you're different and I didn't want that to happen." He was being really sweet, but I still wanted to hate him right now.

"Look, I know I should have told you like the first time I ever talked to you, but I was just afraid that something like that would happen," he said while looking at me and throwing the magazine on the ground at the same time.

"Corey this doesn't help me in trusting you. With you not telling me this, it is kind of a big thing that you kept from me," I said looking up into his eyes. They did have this sorry look in them.

"I know and I am sorry," He said walking closer and hugging me. I don't know how it wasn't possible for me to hate him right now. He pulled away and kissed me on my forehead. "So, about dinner tonight; I have no clue on what to wear. But I'm thinking I need to impress your mom more than your dad," he said smiling and pulling on my hand so he could lead me into his house.