Not the One

Chapter 8

Today was it. My first day on the job. Daniel gave me a janitor uniform. It was bright orange. I asked him why it was this color. His reply was “so that the other employees can spot you easily.” I wasn’t really sure what that meant at the time.
It wasn’t until I actually started cleaning the offices that I realized what Daniel meant. The workers kept telling me where to clean because they were afraid that I would mess up their desks and other stuff in the room.
Daniel’s company was called “Fresh Sunglasses”. There were around 30 floors. I had to sweep and mop every floor every day. I knew it was a tiring job, but he was paying me, and I needed the money to help support my parents.
My day consisted of me being bossed around by the employees from 9 AM to 6 PM. I only had a lunch break and two bathroom breaks. It was tiring and quite boring. None of the other janitors even acknowledged me. They probably thought I was their competition because they looked a bit more relieved after I told them I was only going to be there for two months.
My shift was finally over and I could leave. Daniel didn’t mention anyone picking me up, so I decided to walk back. I believed the house wasn’t too far from here.
To my surprise, Tina was outside of the building, apparently waiting for me.
“Leo! Over here!”
I walked over to her, me still in my orange uniform. I blushed because I knew I looked silly.
“What are you doing here?” I asked.
“I’m here to pick you up.” She took my wrist. “Come on! My car’s over there.”
We were at the parking lot. This was the first time I saw her car. It was a shiny white convertible.
“Get in. I wanna go out to dinner with you,” she said.
“Why are we not eating at home?”
“My dad’s out with a friend, and I don’t want Lynne to cook for us… so I’m taking you out!”
“Wow, okay, thanks.” I smiled and got in the car.
Tina drove really smoothly. We were quiet most of the way. She had the radio on quietly in the background.
“So um… where exactly are we going?” I asked, wondering.
“Red Lobster. My favorite. Are you allergic to seafood or anything like that?” She glanced at me and turned back to facing the road.
“No. Um, I don’t know,” I muttered.
“Oh?” I saw her look confused.
“Yeah… I’ve never had seafood,” I mumbled.
“Oh… Well, it’ll be your first time!” She sounded excited. “And if something goes wrong, at least then you’ll know you’re allergic.”
“Ha, okay.” I smiled. Yes! I’m going to be trying something new again. Ever since I arrived here, everything has been new to me. I gave silent thanks for this amazing opportunity to be here. I also silently thank Tina for being so nice to me. I always thought rich girls would be snobby, but not here. She was different. She was like Jane… but with a whole lot more money. But then again, Jane could be making a lot of money right now in Paris and I didn’t even know it.
“Okay, Leo, we’re here.” I didn’t even notice we were already parked outside of the restaurant. I was thinking too much about Jane. Why was I thinking so much about her when I have someone just as great right next to me?
We got out. I looked up. The restaurant was decorated with strings of lights all around the roof. They looked like huge stars.
The lady at the door took us to our table and handed us menus.
After briefly looking at the menu, Tina put it back down.
“I think I’ll order lobster and shrimp,” Tina told the waitress who just strode by.
“I’ll… have the same.”
“Thank you,” the waitress said. She took our menus and went away.
“Isn’t this great?” Tina asked me. “You, me, together in a nice restaurant? Waiting to eat delicious seafood.” She sighed dreamily.
“Yes. Yes, it is,” I replied.
We were quiet, sitting there, listening to other people’s conversations. We were making weird faces at each other based on what we were hearing.
“I’ve only met you for two days and I think you’re amazing,” Tina said, suddenly.
“I feel the same way about you. You’re really nice. Thank you for being nice and taking me around the city.”
“No problem. I want to make you feel welcomed.” Her happiness fell all of a sudden.
“Why do you look sad?” I asked, concerned.
She looked at the table. “It’s just that… you’re going to leave soon. I wish you could stay here with me for a longer time.”
“Aw. Well, I still have two more months here. Let’s just have fun while we can.” I gave her a big smile.
“But you’ll be working for most of the day.”
“We can do things after I get off of work. I get out early on the weekends,” I said.
Just then our food came. Everything smelled delicious.
“Yay! Try it, Leo!” She scooted the plates closer to me. I gave the lobster a bite. Whoa, all those flavors swirling in my mouth. It was the best thing I have ever eaten.
“Oh my God… this is sooo good!” I grabbed some more.
“Awesome. You like it,” Tina said all excited.
We spent the next two hours devouring our food and ordering more. When we were finished, it was 9:30.
“We should head back home,” Tina said.
“Okay.” We went to the car and she drove. She had the radio on loud. It was some pop song that I didn’t know the name of, but Tina looked like she knew all the lyrics because she was mouthing the words.
We arrived at the house and went inside. It was completely dark. Lynne was nowhere in sight. She must be in her room sleeping.
“I’m going to take a shower and go to sleep,” Tina said. “You can use the shower on the second floor.”
I went back inside my room and grabbed my sleep clothes and went into the bathroom. I undressed and turned on the warm water. The whole bathroom was filled with men’s products. This must be Daniel’s personal bathroom.
I let the water fall on my head and body. My thoughts were on Tina, imagining her right now, naked in her bathroom. She had an amazing body with clothes on. Imagine her without them. Oh God.
I hurried out of the shower and bathroom before Tina would come out because I wanted to see her fresh out of the shower. I ran upstairs and casually walked by the bathroom. Just then, she came out. With just a towel wrapped around her body.
“Oh! Leo. You… scared me.”
“Sorry. I was just heading to my room.” I couldn’t stop staring at her nipples poking out of her thin towel. I think she noticed my eyes travelling there.
“Haha, okay. Um, I’ll be in my room if you need me. Good night.” She walked inside her room and closed the door.
“Good night.” I stared at her butt while she walked.
I went inside the bathroom she was in. It smelled like vanilla. I decided to stay there for a little while longer to take in all the smell.
I decided I had enough and went back in my room. I lied down, and wondered if Tina liked me.