‹ Prequel: Do I?

Drink a Beer

One

Sid's POV
"I'm so excited" I said with a smile while looking at Rachael's swollen stomach.

"Me too" she smiled. "Do you think it's going to be a girl or a boy?" She asked.

"Girl" I smiled

"Boy" she said

"Girl"

"Boy"

"G-I-R-L" I spelled out

"B-O-Y"

"This obviously isn't going to get anywhere." I laughed. We were waiting for the baby to be born to find out if it was a boy or a girl which was about three weeks away. I was really excited to be a dad but I was also really nervous. Rachael gave up her music career just to be a mom and I tried to tell her we could get help but she said she wanted to do this herself and I respected that.

"I'm gonna go see Vero" she said and got up and grabbed the keys to the Range Rover. She usually drove her car but I didn't want her driving the car because if she got in a little fender bender the Range Rover would be safer.

"Okay love you" I said an kissed her lips and then her stomach.

"Your gonna be an awesome dad." She grinned and left. I walked upstairs to take a nap and I woke up to my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Sid?!" Vero asked panicked

"Vero what's wrong?!" I asked concerned.

"Ra-Rachael got in a wreck" Vero said through tears.

"WHAT?????? IS SHE OKAY?!???" I asked

"I don't know Sid but they have her in surgery at UPMC" Vero said quietly. I hung up and drove over there as fast as I could. I parked the car and sprinted to the main desk and saw Vero and Flower standing there with their daughter Estelle.

"Where is she?" I asked and the led me up to the waiting room for the family's of people in surgery.

"Mr. Crosby?" The surgeon looked at me and I walked with him into a chair outside of her room. We sat down in the chairs in the hallway.

"We were able to save the baby but we couldn't save Rachael. I'm sorry Mr. Crosby" the surgeon said with a sympathetic look. "You can go in and see her." He said and put a hand on my shoulder. I sat there for a few minutes emotionless until it sunk in that she was really gone.

"Wait doctor." I said as he was walking away.

"Is it a boy or girl?" I asked

"Girl" he said with a smile.

I walked into her room and I immediately burst into tears just seeing her lifeless body laying there. All the color in her face was gone and she was as white as a ghost. I pulled a chair up beside her bed and sat down in it and took her cold hand in mine.

"Why did you have to go? We had our whole lives ahead of us and then this happens. Why does everything have to happen to us? I don't understand why your life was taken away. Why do the good ones always go? Oh yeah and you were wrong it was a girl," I said with a small smile. "I hope she looks just like you. Remember what I said before, you'll always be here" I said and touched my heart. "I love you so much Rachael. I'm gonna name the baby Brooklyn like you said that you were gonna name our daughter if we had one. Brooklyn Alexis Crosby. I'll never forget you Rach." I said and kissed her forehead and walked out to tell Marc and Vero the news.

"How is she?" Vero asked.

"She's gone." I said quietly

"Sid," Marc said and gave me a hug and so did Vero.

"The baby made it though" I said.

"Boy or girl?" Vero asked quietly

"Girl" I said with a small smile

"Did you decide a name?" Marc asked

"Rachael really liked the name Brooklyn so I named her that." I said with my head down. I started to walk down to where the newborn babies were taken and I looked into the glass and saw a little girl wrapped in a pink blanket with "Crosby" written on the clip board attached to the crib. I stared at the little girl. Then the nurse came out and asked me to fill out Brooklyn's birth certificate.

"Do you want to come in and hold her?" The nurse asked an I nodded my head. She lead me into the room and she picked Brooklyn up and handed her to me. She was an exact copy of Rachael like I had hoped right down to those gorgeous eyes I fell in live with as a kid.

"I love you so much Brooklyn" I said and a tear rolled down my cheek.