Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Guilt

Flint then continued, as if there was no break. Which I guess was good, it drew less attention to myself. I didn’t need more unwanted attention. Not now anyways... I hated being the centre of attention. I hated getting attention... well, except with Dane. He made me like it, something I had never felt before. But he was an exception.

“We will all have to watch each others backs. We shouldn’t give them the satisfaction of being able to kill one of us.” He then paused and glanced in my direction, I frowned. Was he saying I would be the one getting killed? But then what he said next made me realize why he glanced at me, well I was pretty sure why. “And all emotions towards them will have to be kept low, for it will mess with your ability to think clearly.” His eyes then stayed on mine. I held the gaze until he glanced at Jake. I then turned my attention to him. He stared at him.

“I had my doubts about bringing you on here, Drake.” I scowled, anger back. Fire growing. “Not because you’re not good enough.” He quickly said, realizing what he had just said. “But because we all know you have... anger problems at times. Usually you can control it, but a few times you have lost it in a assignment, and we can’t afford you losing it in this one. But I really want you on it.” He paused. “But if I find you’re endangering yourself, or the others, then you will pulled.”

“Who is it?” I finally asked, me anger and curiosity getting the best of me. What was the big deal? Who did they think I would freak out at? I don’t think I had a grudge against anyone, not that I know of anyways.

“Dalton and Lincoln are the leaders.” I frowned. Who? When he saw my confusion he spoke again. “They’re the men who murdered your parents and set your house on fire, leaving you to die.” Oh.

I didn’t know what I felt first? Anger? Rage? Hatred? Sadness? Or plain confusion. First off though, I thought they were dead. Jake hadn’t told me they were still alive... and breathing.

Why hadn’t he killed them? Why hadn’t I? They had killed my family! They had left me for death... how could I not be angry? How could I not want to torture them in the most painful ways ever?

I wanted to chain them up and bleed them dry, cutting them in various parts and listening to them scream. Listening to them beg and plea, oh but I wouldn’t show mercy. They didn’t show mercy on me when I was three, only three! So I wouldn’t show them a drop of compassion.

“Is this going to be a problem?” Came Jake’s voice, causing me snap out of torturing trance.

“No, not at all.” I said in a sweet voice. “I’ll be fine, just peachy.” I said putting on a very fake smile. Jake let out a deep sigh.

“I knew this wouldn’t work, I-“

”Don’t pull me off this, Jake! If it was you, you’d want the same outcome.” I took a deep breath. “I’ll be fine... just as long as, if there’s time, both their deaths are saved for me to do. I’ll control myself, I swear. I won’t screw up avenging my parents.” Jake sighed. Before glancing at Flint.

“I think that’s enough information for now. Let it all sink in. We’ll call you when we want to continue this.” I was the first one to my feet.

I needed air and space. I was pissed off at almost all of them, well, okay not all. Just Jake, Boris, Flint and Hunter.

My body had just made it out of the room when a hand pushed my shoulder, turning me so I was facing the person. My eyes narrowed at the red ones that they met. Now was not the time. I was ready to kill someone, and I’m sure I would be pulled if I killed Hunter.

“We got off on the wrong start.” He finally mumbled. “I’m just not use to non-butch girls being able to do this job.” I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t be a sexist freak, it’s the twenty first century.” I began to walk away and he followed me, his hands shoved in his pockets. I clenched my teeth now was not the time. I needed to relax, I needed to unwind... I needed Dane. But damn it, I didn’t want to seem clingy, or get caught. But he would be able to calm me down...

Just the thought of him made me knees feel weak. Damn it, I wasn’t suppose to let this happen. I was suppose to hold up strong. But would I be able last till tomorrow? Just as Hunter was about to say something, my cell went off. I pulled it out and looked at the number.

It was Dane’s. Ah the coincidence. I mumbled give me a minute to Hunter and quickly stepped into the nearest room, closing the door tightly behind me. One good thing about this place was all rooms were sound proof. I glanced around and when sure no one was there, I flipped open my phone. Perfect timing Dane.

“Hey.” I said, slight happiness etching into my voice. Damn it, I sounded too cheerful, now he would think of me as a freak... why am I over thinking this?

“Hey.” He replied. Hah! He sounded happier than I did. Or maybe he meant to, so I wouldn’t be so upset... stupid mind. “I can’t make tomorrow.” My smile immediately fell and I leant against the door, my heart racing fast. My breath had caught.

I slid down against the door so that I was now sitting on the ground. He probably was just saying that, one night with me was enough. I then scowled, it was his loss... right?

“Alright,” I finally said. “I better go, by-“ but he cut me off with a laugh. He was laughing at a time like this? I was hurting for a guy for the first time ever because he was ditching me... and he had the nerve to laugh?!

“Chill, girl.” He finally said. “Good to know you care, but I didn’t just call to ditch you, and just for the record, I have a legit reason for not being able to come.”

“And what’s that?” I asked in a monotone voice. Part of me didn’t believe him, but the other part was begging for it to be true. What’s become of me? I’m now begging.

“The police want me to fill out some paper work. All of my dads,” when he said dad he sounded slightly upset, something I never heard of him before. It then hit me hard that he was feeling that way because of me. Because of me he was upset... my stomach now felt horrible, as did my heart. My stomach felt slightly hollow and was flipping in an unpleasant way non-stop, and my heart was clenching. “Bars were left to me. Tomorrow night is the only time they can see me.” I remained quiet, so he took it as his que to continue. “So since our plans are screwed now, how about tonight?”

No. I couldn’t... I killed his father. I’m defying Jake... I’m hurting myself, Jake and him. I couldn’t, but I wanted to so bad. I wanted to see him smile. I wanted to feel his lips again, and his warm hands in mine. I wanted to experience it again, and I hated myself for it.

“What time?” I could almost feel him smile which brought one to my lips. That was worth it. It was weird though, he could make me feel so much warmth in my body that I had never felt. It was good, yet bad.

“How about seven?”

“Where?”

“You choose.” I frowned. Where could we go? Someplace I wouldn’t run into anyone here. Oh damn, what if Flint noticed me gone again. Well, I didn’t plan on staying out all night. And maybe I could get someone to cover for me. I felt slightly bad about all the lies, but I wanted to see him so bad. Ugh! Too much stuff was happening at once. First my screw up, then Dane, then Hunter then the men who killed my parents. I need chill pills, literally.

“How about swimming?” I finally blurted out. The idea of chill pills gave me the idea. Swimming always calmed my nerves, the water rushing around me always eased my anger. Plus the thought of seeing him shirtless was an added bonus, but that was besides the point. And he didn’t have to know that.

“No objections here, you in a skimpy bikini, why didn’t I think of it?” I scowled but he laughed then continued. “There’s a good one on 37th Ave.”

“Alright. But I can’t stay out all night again.” I said. There would be too many questions again, and I’m sure Flint would go to Jake.

“Aww, what a shame.” He said making his voice sound hurt. “Ah well. So I’ll meet you in the pool area at seven.” There was a click and I knew he had hung up. I took a deep breath before closing my phone. I erased his number from my phone, in case someone got a hold of it. I then stood up and walked out. Hunter was leaning against a wall looking bored. Oops, forgot about him.

When he heard the door he looked at me and gave me a weak smile, one I didn’t return.

“Can we call a truce?” I frowned. I wasn’t the type to call a truce... but Jake and Flint seemed pretty upset with our attitude towards each other, maybe we should? Ugh, stupid pressure.

“I guess,” was all I said.

Currently, I was now sitting in my room, glaring at the clock. It read 5:30. I Had an hour and half to get ready and get there. But I couldn’t bring myself to move. My guilt was too great. It was a combination of the fact that I was deceiving Jake, and that I killed Dane’s father.

A knock on the door grabbed my attention. Turning my head, but making no move to answer it, I started. My whole body seemed to have shut off with all the emotions flooding it.

“Drake, can I come in?” Came Jake’s voice. Okay, anger! I need to be angry at him, so I wouldn’t feel even guiltier, but it was hard. I closed my eyes tightly, breathing very sparse, before answering.

“It’s unlocked.” The door opened at that and Jake walked in... with a box of chocolates, correction, my favourite chocolates. I didn’t move, what was Jake getting at? He had been pissed off at me just a while ago, and now he was brining my chocolates? This wasn’t fair! I was suppose to be mad.

“Peace offering?” He sais, a sheepish smile on his face. That’s what broke me.

“Jake, I need to t-“ he cut me off by tossing the chocolates on the bed, he soon joined them by sitting next to me.

“Drake, “ he said smiling at me. Almost a guilt smile, oh how I know those. “I was unfair, or a jackass as Zane put it.” I didn’t smile or moved. My heart was beating so fast it wasn’t funny. I just wanted to shoot myself... then I wouldn’t have to worry anymore. What was happening to me? I used to be so good under pressure, so good at everything, nothing got to me. But then Dane came... and I have never lied to Jake before... never. “Basically, to sum up the boring stuff, I’m sorry.”

Shit. I froze as he said that. Damn! Here comes the overflowing guilt, I hope I drown in it. Then I wouldn’t have to worry anymore. Hmm, or I could lite myself on fire... die as a pyro. That sounded slightly neat.

“Now, what did you want to tell me?” Once again, my heart froze. He would kill me if he found out... not literally speaking of course, Jake would never be able to do that unless he thought me as a major threat to the company. Which I wasn’t. Compared to Jake, I was weak... Flint was weak compared to him also. Jake was... well Jake well suited for this job.

The guilt was beginning to get to me. Maybe he would understand... just maybe, or maybe I would never be able to see Dane again. I would never be able to see his smile or hear his laugh... gosh! What have I become? A stupid love struck female!

“That I will try to get along with Boris, for you.” I said, speaking the first thing that came to mind. Jake smiled at this, only making me squirm on the inside. I ignored the feeling with much difficulty as Jake stood up. He shot me one last smile before exiting my room. I stared at the door, and when sure he was gone, I screamed in frustration before plopping down backwards on my bed. Damn it!
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the lack of detail, and for how boring this currently is. It should get better, but thanks to those who read it anyways.