Status: This is the Mutt Rewrite. Chapters are up as I get them up.

Invictus

Chapter 1

Black.

Flashes of light breaking the night.

An excruciating amount of heat on an arm.

Pain traveling up.

Gasps of air.

Whimpers breaking the silence.

Sweat traveling over every part of the body.

Another gasp of air.

Rapid heartbeat. Almost beating out of a chest cavity.

Beat.

Gasp.

Whimper.

Beat.

Gasp.

Whimper.

A mantra

Pain, excruciating pain, this time not from the heat.

Something cold and wet.

Blood, it
has to be blood…

Adhita bolted upright. A cold layer of sweat covered every inch of her body. Her chest rose and fell with the rapidness that a marathon runner would have after crossing the finish line. Her heart beat, almost like it was coming out of my chest, Adhita thought to herself, continued to race. She could feel it, the prickling sensation in her eyes.

There was a soft wine. Adhita looked up to see Piper place her paw on that place. Adhita bent forward, finally submitting to the tears. Silent sobs racked her body, just as she had trained herself to do.

~*~

“Dad, do you think I should go up and check on her?”

Johannes looked over the edge of his paper. The clock on the oven read 9.20. Whenever he had gotten home the night before, he went to check on her. At eight o’clock she was sound asleep curled up against Piper. “She’s traveled many time zones, Yan, let her sleep,” said Johannes in a thick Indian accent.

Yana nervously bit her lip. He hadn’t seen her for almost six months. He hadn’t seen how she’d been acting. He hadn’t watched her on the plane, staring silently out the window. She always had her sari draped over her upper body. She would fidget nervously, and at first, Yana had attributed to being nervous about the plane. After they landed she still wouldn’t speak.

“Dad, you didn’t see her on the plane.”

Johannes didn’t look up. “And you haven’t seen her in almost six years.”

Before Yana could respond, there was a sound of tags jingling. Piper bounded down the steps and into the kitchen. She whimpered at the backdoor. Johannes and Yana watched as Adhita silently came into the room. She moved the door back so Piper could go out.

Adhita turned to see Yana staring nervously at her. Johannes stood to give Adhita a big hug. As his arms wrapped around her, Adhita took a deep breathe. She sighed enjoying his scent of curry and spearmint. It wasn’t home, but it was as close as she would ever get for a while. “Good morning, granddaughter,” said Johannes in Hindi.

“Dadaji,” Adhita whispered into his chest.

Johannes pulled away. His fingers nimbly fixed her sari she had draped over her head. “Beautiful, absolutely stunning.”

Adhita swallowed. She could feel her cheeks getting warm.

“Are my girls getting hungry?” Johannes asked just as Adhita’s stomach grumbled. “I’ll take it you are, Adhita. What about you, Yan?”

Yana smiled. Something told her that Adhita would benefit from spending time alone with her grandfather. “No, I’m not.”

Johannes turned to Adhita. “Do you want to go get something to eat, dear? I know a really nice diner that we can go to.”

Yana smiled. “That old one where you and your buddies go to?”

“Oh, Yan, I know Adhita will enjoy it.”

“Whatever you say, Dad.”

Johannes turned to his granddaughter, a large smile playing on his lips. “Why don’t you and Piper get ready? We’ll head on out.”

Adhita nodded. She turned to see Piper sitting patiently by the door. When the door was opened Piper snaked in and followed her master up the stairs.

When Adhita came back downstairs, Yana had to do a double take. She bit her bottom lip to keep from laughing. Adhita stood in a scarlet, gold, and orange sari draped over her head. Piper stood at her side in an orange vest and matching orange leash. Piper sat silently while Adhita stared around the room.

“Adhi,” Yana said getting the young girl’s attention.

Adhita wrinkled her nose.

“Do you like walking around with a vest on Piper?”

Adhita shrugged. I’d never thought of it before, Adhita thought to herself. Adhita’s gaze wondered down to Piper. Piper stared up, her mouth opened like she was smiling. Adhita smiled at the dog.

“Well, you realise if you don’t want the vest on, it’s not illegal.”

Adhita smiled. People stared, she fancied the idea of not needing the vest. She realised there would be more questions, but…

Yana watched as Adhita bent down to unclip the vest. Piper sat still as the thing came undone. She shook before lying down. Yana watched Adhita tried to fold the flimsy material with her right hand. She flushed furiously whenever she saw that Yana was staring. Yana extended her hand for the thing. “You tell me how to do it, okay?”

Adhita swallowed. Her heart beat quickly, her hands clammy. She wanted to throw the thing out the window. She mentally cursed her hand. She tried again, but failed. She sighed before handing the material over.

Yana spread the vest over her papers. “Alright how do I do this, Adhi?”

Adhita wrinkled her nose. “In half.”

“This way?” Yana asked brining the right side over to the left.

Adhita smiled. “Yes, now thirds.”

“There ya go, kiddo. I’ll sit it here for when you get back, alright?”

“Thank you.”

“Anytime, Adhi.”

“Adhita, are you ready?” Johannes asked.

“I think you’re really going to like this. Most restaurants like this are grease pits, but not this one.
This one even has an organic and slash or vegetarian section.”

Johannes smiled. His arm was draped tightly around his granddaughter’s shoulders as they entered.

A woman behind the counter stared at the trio. “You’re not supposed to have a dog in here, it’s a health code violation!” she yelled, silencing the chatter of the restaurant.

Adhita felt herself blush. Johannes shook his head. He herded Adhita to a booth. Adhita slid into a seat across from Johannes. She saw him flush brightly.

The angry woman was stomping back towards them. Her face was a bright red. Adhita tried to ignore the staring patrons. “We can go, Dadaji,” she whispered so softly Johannes had trouble hearing her.

“ARE YOU DEAF?” the woman shouted attracting even more attention.

A man in his mid-twenties poked his head out of the kitchen. He was quick to make his way to their table. He put a hand on the shouting woman’s shoulder. She paled immediately.

“What seems to be the problem here, Joyce?” the man asked in a very icy voice.

“They brought a dog in here!” she shouted pointing with her thumb to Piper whom was sitting under a table.

“I see that they brought a dog.”

“Correction,” Johannes said.

Before he could speak, the woman interrupted him. “What’d you do, bring in a cat? That’s the funniest looking cat I’ve done seen,” the woman said bending down to Piper’s level.

“Piper is a service dog,” Johannes said.

The man’s eyes widened.

“Well, she doesn’t have a vest on!” Joyce yelled.

“Joyce, go into the kitchen,” the man muttered angrily.

“Bu-“

“Now!”

The man shook his head, as the woman left, throwing a dirty look over her shoulder.

“I apologise on my staff’s behalf,” the man sighed. “Joyce, is…” he paused trying to find the right word to describe the woman, “quirky.”

Johannes nodded. “I’ve been coming here for years, Nathaniel. I’ve never seen her act like that.”
Nathaniel turned to Adhita. “She’s your dog?”

Adhita nodded, her gaze floating down to the table.

“I want to personally apologise to you. I’m sorry for the attention that you’ve received. I never want my customers to fill uncomfortable. This is your first time here?”

Johannes nodded. “Yes, she just arrived in La Push yesterday evening.” Johannes grinned.

Nathaniel raised both eyebrows. “Where are you from?”

“India,” Johannes replied.

Nathaniel smiled kindly, trying to get the girl to speak. “Well, I bet this is different from India?” Nathaniel chuckled.

Adhita simply nodded.

“Well, I want to personally welcome you to America. As a welcoming present, I want breakfast to be on the house,” he said with a wink.

“Nath-“

Nathaniel held up his hand. “After coming to a new country, and what you just went through, breakfast is on me. I’ll give you a few minutes for you,” Nathaniel paused looking at her.

“Adhita,” Johannes smiled.

“Adhita,” Nathaniel grinned, “To figure out what you want.”

Johannes slid Adhita a menu. “They have a lot of good food here, some of it’s even vegetarian. I know you prefer the vegetarian foods.”

“Vegan.”

Johannes smiled. “I was seeing how long it would take for you to correct me. I know it’s going to take a while, Adhita, but I’m really looking forward to having my granddaughter back. No matter how long it takes, love,” Johannes smiled wrapping his large hand in her small one.

Adhita did her best to slip him a smile. But what if you never get her back?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all,

I really want to thank all of you for being patient with me. I've been working on some other pieces, I'm hoping to put some of them up soon. One piece is another Paul Lahote love story, called Fort Anniston. I'm not sure when that'll be up.

I wanted to aplogise for being so late. I've been really evaluating Adhita as a character and writing more of this story. So far I have almost 19,000 words for the story. The miraculous thing is, I like where this is going. I'm really excited, and determined, to keep this story up and running. One way to keep is running is feedback. Feedback helps me improve my characters and improve my skills as a writer. Please don't point out my grammar, I know it stinks. >.<