Status: Discontinued. :(

Saviour

II

Aidan was woken up the next morning by the piercing sound of her cell phone ringing on the bedside table. She jolted up in bed and then winced when pain shot through her body and she remembered that she couldn’t exactly jolt right then. She answered the phone and Leila’s panicked voice began in her ear immediately.

“Aidan! Are you okay? Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t there last night,” she rattled off as Aidan eased herself back down into a laying position.

“It’s okay. I’m okay,” she mumbled, and Leila started talking again at once.

“They wouldn’t even let me in to see you! But I talked to Andy last night when he got back to his bus and apparently they let him in? What the hell! He’s not even family,” Leila exclaimed, and Aidan heaved a sigh. While Leila was her best friend in the world and the best bass player she’d ever seen, she could be very, very dramatic when she wanted to be.

“I think the doctor felt bad for me,” she replied, and Leila scoffed.

“Whatever. Hey, A, listen… there’s something I’ve gotta tell you,” Leila suddenly grew serious, which made Aidan worry.

“What?” she asked, and she heard Leila sigh.

“Well… the bus was sort of rolling when I woke up this morning. The driver refused to turn around… there was nothing I could do,” Leila said quietly, and Aidan was instantly furious.

“What?! You left without me? How the fuck are you guys going to play a show today without your singer?” Aidan demanded, and Leila started talking quickly again.

“We don’t have a show today. It’s an off day, so you have a day to get here somehow. I’m so sorry, A. I should’ve woken up earlier. I feel so horrible,” Leila said, and Aidan started shaking her head.

“Fuck. I’ve gotta go. I’ll call you later,” Aidan said, and hung up before Leila could say anything else. Without even really thinking about it, she reached over to the bedside table and snatched up Andy’s phone number and punched it into her cell. He answered on the third ring and she was oddly relieved to hear his voice.

“Please tell me you haven’t left town yet,” she said quickly.

“We haven’t left town yet. Why?”

“Because my bus left me and I sorta desperately need a ride.”

“Shit. Okay, no problem. Have you signed out of the hospital yet?”

“Not yet.”

“I’ll get the bus driver to make a pit-stop at the hospital and we’ll pick you up, okay? Try to be signed out when we get there. I’ll come in and find you,” he said, and she heaved a sigh of relief.

“Thank you so fucking much, Andy. You’re the best,” she said, and he laughed on the other end.

“I try,” he said, and a moment later the line went dead.

After setting her phone back down beside the bed, Aidan sat up slowly and decided to test her walking abilities. Her whole body ached, but she was determined to get on her feet. She swung her legs over the edge of the bed and winced as pain shot through both her legs. Deciding it was probably a better idea, she pressed the call button and a minute later a nurse waltzed in.

“I need to sign out,” Aidan said automatically, and the nurse gave her a worried look.

“I wouldn’t recommend it… normally patients with your injuries stay in for at least a week,” the nurse replied, and Aidan shook her head.

“I don’t care about other patients. I need to get out of here,” she replied, and the nurse sighed and gave a shrug.

“If you insist. But before you go, you’re going to need a wheelchair and a boot for that foot because you won’t be walking for a while,” the nurse replied, and Aidan nodded.

“Fine,” she said, and the nurse left the room and came back a few minutes later with a wheelchair in tow and a boot in her hand. She placed the boot on Aidan’s foot and helped her slowly into the wheelchair. The nurse wheeled her into the lobby, where she signed the release forms and was handed a prescription for a pain medication and an antibiotic to prevent infection. After giving her one more disapproving look, the nurse wheeled Aidan into the waiting room and left her there.

Five minutes later, Andy walked through the front door carrying a small bundle in his hand. He smiled as he reached her, and dropped the bundle into her lap.

“What’s this?” she asked and he smiled again.

“I figured a paper-thin hospital gown probably wasn’t your clothing of choice. I don’t have any girl clothes, so I’m sorry for that but I brought you a pair of pajama pants and one of my less torn up t-shirts if you’re interested,” he said, and she smiled back at him.

“That’s amazing, thanks,” she said, and he nodded.

“No problem. Do you, uh, need help putting them on?” he asked and she laughed.

“Are you just trying to get me naked?” she asked, and he laughed too.

“Of course not,” he said with a wink.

“Well either way, you’re going to get to because yeah, there’s no way I’m going to be able to change on my own,” she said, and he nodded and wheeled her over to the bathroom and pushed the door open. It was a single-toilet bathroom, which she was thankful for. She took his hand and he gently helped her into a standing position. She turned away from him and carefully slipped the gown off of herself. With his help, she got the t-shirt over her head and she slipped into the pajama pants, which she was swimming in, but it didn’t matter. Once dressed, she turned slowly back toward him, and he smiled.

“What?” she asked, and he shrugged slightly.

“Oh, nothing, I just normally kiss a girl and romance her a little before seeing her butt,” he said, breaking into a fit of laughter.

“If I felt strong enough, I would kick you right in the shin. Just know that,” she said as she settled back into her wheelchair. He just laughed again and wheeled her out of the bathroom.