Stay the Night

Three

The game was intense, Avalanche were the first to score late into the first. Once the second period started Frolik started off the Blackhawks scoring, and from there goals seemed be made back and forth. When Toews scored Rachel and I screamed the loudest, dancing around in our row to Chelsea Dagger. By the end of the third period the Blackhawks and Avalanche were tied going into over time. I prayed that they would go into a shoot out, it had always been my favorite part of the hockey game. When the game did I was so excited. This is where our Hawks shine the most! Sadly, I think I jinxed the team, the team lost in the shoot out.
“Do you think they will want to do anything?” Rachel looked over at me while others around picked up their things to go.
“I’m not sure,” I mumbled sitting down, “you know how I feel about drinking my woes away.” I felt buzzed from all the anxiety and the beer I had been drinking.
“I’m positive Jon is going to regret picking up our tab at the bar,” Rachel giggled sitting down next to me. I continued sipping on my Stella and joined in her giggling.
As people left they gave us strange looks. Probably wondering why we were still sitting while everyone left. After 10 minutes we saw Jim walk down the stairs, “If you lovely ladies would like to fallow me.”
Placing down our drinks, Rachel and I fallowed Jim up the stairs and over to an elevator. Rachel and Jim talked about the game. I leaned my body against the wall, playing the chain of my purse. My body buzzed with energy. I knew it was mostly from the alcohol running through my blood stream, but, I was sure it was the nerves of seeing the boys. When we reached the lower level David was standing by two security guards. Through the mahogany doors I could see throngs of reporters crowding around the different players.
“Good Lord! I don’t think I could deal with that many people coming at me,” I turned to the guys.
David chuckled, “Yeah, I don’t know how Jon and the boys handle it.”
Jim excused himself to go see how Jon was doing. “This is a whole different world then I used to,” I slipped out. David looked at me puzzled, then smiled.
“Well, welcome to your whole different world.”
“Mine?” I choked out.
David just nodded his head and laughed under his breathe. As if their was a secret joke I was unaware of. I looked over to Rachel if she understood David’s riddle, she instead shrugged her shoulders back at me. Okay, good I’m not alone in this. I peaked into the doors just in time to watch Jon (again topless) walk towards us.
“Hey Cailynn, Rachel. Its going to be a little bit,” smiling at us, exposing on of his dimples, “do you guys mind just waiting for a while?”
“No, not at all,” Rachel responded for us. Thank God, I don’t know how you expect me to speak looking like that.
“OK great,” he turned to leave, “oh by the way, Cailynn, you look good in that number.”
I chuckled and looked at David, “Is there anyway I could go the bathroom?”
“Oh, yeah of course,” David led us to a bathroom down the hall. While walking in, I grabbed Rachel’s hand and pulled her in with me.
“Are you okay?” Rachel stood with her hands on her hips.
“I’m fine,” I checked myself in the mirror, “but you saw him. I need to freshen up... Look amazing.”
I whipped off the sweater and threw it onto the counter. I played with me hair, flipping it over and shaking it out. I’m so happy I’m having a good hair day.
“Here touch up your makeup,” Rachel started handing me things. Once we were both fluffed and touched up, Rachel pulled me out of the bathroom. Jon was standing there with a few of the other guys. All dressed in suits; Jon, Kane, Smith, Bollig and Leddy along with David and Jim in a circle. The group was in deep discussion, I couldn’t totally tell but sounded like the recap of the game just played. They all turned and stared when then heard the door behind me slam. “Oh look, Jon, she took off you number,” Frolik grinned.
“Guess you’re not so special after all,” added Kane.
I bit my lip, “That’s not the case at all. We just had to go step up our game since you guys look so dashing in your suits.”
“Well, you both look lovely,” Smith walked over and kissed Rachel’s hand. Her face grew red immediately. She giggled a thank you, and I couldn’t help but laugh at her along with the other guys.
“We are all going to McFaddens Pub if you girls are in,” Jon said walk towards me.
Rachel tore her eyes away from Smith, “Things you should know about Cailynn... she’s always in for drinking.”
I shrugged, “What can I say? I’m Irish to the core.”
The boys chuckled at me as we turned to walk down the hall. Jon walked beside me, our hands grazing each other as we made our way. The space between us felt like it was shooting sparks. Behind me, I heard Ben Smith invite Rachel in his car with him and Bollig.
“Is that okay Cailynn?” Rachel said in a high sweet voice.
Before I could answer Jon did for me, “Thats perfect, this way Cailynn can ride with me,” he crookedly smiled at me, “if that sounds good to you?”
“It matters,” I looked him dead in the eye, “do you drive the douche mobile?”
Jon laughed and shook his head. “What?”
“Ferrari with the plate ROLLIN”
“No, no. That would be Kaner’s car. I like to be a little bit more classier then that.”
“Don’t hate on my ride,” Patrick threw his arm around my shoulders from the other side.
“I’m sorry Mr. Kane, wont happen again.”
“Starting to like you Cailynn,” Kane squeezed me, “I see promise in you.”
“Oh shut up Kaner,” Jon grumbled and opened one of the large doors to outside.
I was thankful that Chicago was experiencing an Indian summer, so there was no need for a coat. With the shirt I was wearing I would’ve been freezing any other year. Rachel and a few of the guys said goodbye, they would see us soon. Leaving me and Jon to walk to the end of the row of cars. A Black Bentley was the last car, right against the wall covered totally by overhang from the bus pull up.
“I would think the captain would get a better parking spot,” I said.
“To the naked eye this may look like a bad parking spot,” Jon trotted to the passenger side door and opened it for me, “but, it is far away from Kane, who is a horrible parker. It is also totally covered, protecting it from the elements. The best parking spot.”
“Thank you,” I smiled up at him, sliding into the car.
Jon walked to the back of the car and placed his hockey bag into the trunk. Breathe Cailynn, this is totally normal situation. As I tried to regulate my nerves, Jon hopped into the drivers seat and push started the car. Jason Aldean’s voice blasted through the spearkers. Jon cussed and quickly turned the music down.
“Sorry,” His face was red, “I like to listen to music before a game to clear my head.”
“Totally okay, I do it too,” I smiled at him.
He let out a big sigh, “You ready to spend your night with the Chicago Blackhawks?”
“Forgive me if I sound like a big nerd, but, I’m so excited you can’t even believe.” I laughed and sat back in the seat.
Jon carefully backed out of his space, and took off down through the parking lot. Toews was a fast driver, which surprised me since he seemed so serious about everything he did. I guess this was his way of letting go. I mouthed along to Luke Bryan’s Drunk on You, staring out the window to the beautiful city I called my home.
“I love driving down the streets of Chicago,” Jon said breaking the silence.
I looked over at him and nodded my head. “I lived here my whole life, it seems so different sitting here next to you.”
“Oh really?” he questioned, “Why is that?”
“I’m really not sure, but, this seat is a whole new world for me.”
Jon just laughed, “Welcome to my world.”