Stay the Night

Four

When we arrived at McFaddens, their was a large crowd out side the front door. Jon grunted and drove past. Driving down the street, he pulled into a private parking garage parking on the first level. Turning off the car he turned to look at me, “You can leave your jersey here. I promise I wont steal it, I already have a bunch.”
I laughed along with his joke, “Yea, ok.”
I undid my seat belt and reached down to grab my purse. Before I knew it Jon was on my side of the car, opening the door for me. “Canada really knows how to raise a gentleman,” I smiled grabbing his hand to pull myself out of the car. His hand clasp mine tightly, as he slammed the door behind me. Jon didn’t let go of my hand until we were passed the cars, instead he put his hand lightly on my lower back and guided me out of the garage.
“Did I mention to you that you look amazing tonight?”
I could feel my face get heated, “You look pretty dapper yourself Mr. Toews. Never been to a bar with a man in a suit.”
“We like to keep it classy,” Jon joked. His hand pressed firmly into my back as we walked through the group of people outside. I glanced to the side I saw Jon ducking his head down. It seemed so weird, but he just pushed us along quick.
When we reached the door the bouncer opened it with out questions. “Welcome back Mr. Toews,” his voice was hard to hear. Once the word “Toews” came out the man’s mouth I heard people scream for Jon and flashes of light. This life is so strange. We moved our way through the bar to a back room where all the boys were sitting at tables. Girls were scattered through out the room. My throat closed up as all eyes turned onto us. In the back corner I saw two hands waving at us, Kane and Rachel.
“Jon, over there,” I pointed over at the two.
Jon’s hand didn’t leave back at all, still. I didn’t mind it, but, I could swear that I was getting some dirty looks from others. Who did they think I was?
The two were at a table with Bickell and his wife, Amanda. Rachel seemed to be laughing along with the couple, while Patrick gave Jon looks. I turned to Jon to read his face, but he dropped it once he saw me.
“Whats going on here?” Sitting down next to Kane.
“What are you talking about,” Kane started taking a sip from his beer.
Jon tapped the table, “Nothing at all.”
“Hey,” said a sweet voice across the able from me, “we haven’t met yet. My name is Amanda.”
“Nice to meet you, my name is Cailynn.” I did a small wave to her, “I’m Rachel’s friend.”
“Obviously friends of Patrick and Jon’s, too.”
Jon leaned back in his seat, “Actually we just met today. Got attacked by Cailynn’s dog.”
“I’m surprised you had the guts to invite her, Tazer,” Bickell chuckled. Amanda fallowed soon after with a smack on the arm.
I was puzzled, “What do you mean?”
“Johnny isn’t known for his skills with the ladies,” Kane smiled at me.
“Does he really need any,” Rachel said, “since you guys are athletes and all.”
Kane laughed, “Yes, if you don’t that is how you get that crazy girls.”
Brain laughed along and proceeded to tell about some of the crazy girls he’s seen in his time. Amanda on cue, would roll her eyes and make faces. They were so cute together. I was always so jealous of relationships like that. I knew I am totally incapable in being in relationship with another person.
I leaned over to Jon’s ear, “Is this why all the girls gave me dirty looks when I walked in?”
“What? Whose given you looks?”
I smiled back at his shocked face, “Look around, Jon. They have been watching us since we walked in.”
Jon turned to look at the room. I kept my face down out of sheer embarrassment. What had I gotten myself into?
Jon turned back to face front, mashing his lips together. I knew that it wasn’t in my head. Jon kept quiet as the group continued on joking and laughing. We joined other tables, as I met the rest of the team and staff. Me and Bollig were laughing about something when I felt a hand squeeze my knee. I turned to smile at Jon. His face had relaxed some, either cause of the beer he was drinking or maybe he was comfortable with me.
I leaned into him, “Are you having a good time?”
“Of course,” squeezing my knee, “how couldn’t I?”
“Just awfully quiet.”
“Haven’t you ever heard of the nickname Captain Serious?”
I couldn’t help but smile at him, “Well, I think its time for you to loosen up a bit.”
“Maybe you can help me with that,” Jon smiled back.
“Excuse me love birds,” a voice behind cause me to blush, “We are heading to Rooftop. You both in?”
Without breaking eye contact from me, Jon replied, “Yeah, we’re in. We’ll meet you there, Brent.”
Groups around us left, either going to the club or home. Rachel excused herself to go along with the boys she came with. I smiled and reassured her we’d be there in a bit. Jon stood up pulling his chair out of the way so I could join him walking out.
“Would you mined if we stopped by my condo so I could change?” Jon asked as he maneuvered us out of the bar.
“No not at all,” I tugged on his tie, “You don’t seem very comfortable in this.”
“I’m not. Which is a shame since I look so good in it.”
“Jon, was that a joke,” I played shocked, “from Captain Serious?”
“Yes Cailynn, that was my horrible attempt at making a joke.”
We walked out of the bar, and again the light bulbs flashed. This time they were yelling at me also. Asking my name. Who I was to Jon. How long had we been together. Together? We just met today. He’s just an overly nice guy. I could feel Jon’s hand shrink away from me once the flashes began. I did my best to keep my face neutral and down. They fallowed us all the way to parking garage. I turned back to look for Jon, his face was down but eyes on me. We locked eyes and he smiled. I must’ve looked like deer in head lights, cause Jon’s face went soft and he grabbed my hand. We made it into the parking garage and the crowd stayed behind. I finally lifted my head to find Jon staring at me.
“I’m sorry about that. You did amazing.”
I let out a sigh, “I was not ready for that.”
“I should’ve warned you,” Jon’s voice got deep.
“It’s totally okay. Doesn’t everyone want a throng of people chasing after them wanting to know their name and stuff?”
His face lightened, “I guess so.”
Jon walked over to the passenger door again and opened it for me to slide in. Jon seemed in a rush, pulling quickly out of the space and down the ramp.
“Go ahead a pick some music,” Jon said stoping at the front gate to pay.
I switching it to Kendrick Lamar’s Swimming Pool. Jon chuckled and pulled onto the street. I pulled out my phone from my purse to see it lighted it up with texts. All seemed to be from Rachel.
>>You guys seem pretty comfortable over there. What is he whispering into your ear?
>>I’ve never seen you look at a guy like this.
>>We just drove by and a saw you guys get mobbed. How was that? Are You okay?
I laughed at her. She was always fishing for me to be in a relationship. Every guy I met, whether in class or at a bar, was an option for being my new boyfriend. I don’t think she understood that I wasn’t looking for anything like that. I just wanted to enjoy life while its here.
“What are you laughing at?” Jon broke me thoughts.
“Just reading some texts from Rachel,” I smiled over at him, “going to let her know that we are stopping for you to change so she doesn’t worry.”
> I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about. Jon protected me from the crazy mob. OMG How am I supposed to react to that? Jon said I did well, but I was so scared. Total Britney Spears moment, I understand why she attacked those cars with an umbrella. ANYWAY, Jon wants to change before the club so we are stopping at his apartment. Be there soon! Save me a drink and a dance!
I sent the text just as we pulled up in front a large building. At the front was a door man that was making his way over to my door.
“Good evening Mr. Toews,” the man said as he opened my door. Jon was at the trunk grabbing his bag, so I slid out to join him. The man smiled at me, closing the car door behind.
“Hey, Jeff,” Jon came over and handed him his keys, “no point of putting the car away. We will be only upstairs for a few minutes.”
“Yes, sir,” the man laughed.
I fallowed Jon into the entrance. This place was beautiful, expensive and something I never imagined I would ever know someone that lived at. “Jon, this place is so lovely,” I’m sure my mouth was on the floor.
“Yea, it’s really nice,” Jon chuckled out, “my mom reminds me every time she visits.”
Jon pressed the button to the elevator and headed up the twentieth floor. The hallway had only four doors, everything was silent. This place was so different then the building Rachel and I live in. We walked to the last door on the right and Jon unlocked it. The front hallway was lit up showing different artwork that I guessed was collected in his travels. Jon pointed for me to go into the living room, while he stepped into his room to change and drop his bag. The whole wall was windows, the perfect view of the Chicago River at night. Groups and couples were walking along the edge, as boats slowly wadded by. Everything looked magical from up here. The room was dark but comfortable. Modern at the same time felt like a home. I sat down on the couch, taking in everything. In the corner was old hockey sticks and an acoustic guitar.
Out of the corner of my eye, a light in the kitchen turned on. Jon was standing there at the island looking at me. He looked so good, wearing a plaid shit and dark jeans. His hair was all messy as if he was stressed.
“This place is beautiful,” I smiled at him, “have I told you that yet? Have you seen that view?”
He smiled that crooked smile, “That view has nothing on you.”
I laughed, “Is this how you usually treat the girls you bring home?”
“I don’t bring many girls home. This is pretty strange to me,” Jon turned towards the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. “Would you like one?”
“No, I’ll just take sips of yours when I do,” I smile and met him in the middle. “Why me?”
“Why you what?”
“Why did you invite me? Why have you given me and my friend this great night?”
Jon look down into my eyes, his crooked smile was gone. I watched his Adam's apple as he gulped down some water. “Something about you was so different...”
“How different?”
“You were fresh and new. Nothing I have ever experience before. I wasn’t expecting you to come, honestly, thought you would say no.”
“Well, I said yes,” I said quietly. The energy raged through the air.
“I’m so happy you did.” Jon placed the bottle on the island and inched closer to me. I let all the breath in my body out. His hand lightly touched my cheek. It was large, calloused from years of playing sports and being active. It was warm to the touch, and I could feel my cheek burn red under it. His fingers lightly gripped into my neck, pulling my face closer to his. I could hear his breathing was quickened, mine became in time with his. There it was again, the energy was pulsing in the small space between our two bodies. What have I gotten myself into...