Drank the Poison

Fire that'll Catch You

*Drug Warning*

There was a knock on my bedroom door. I groaned and tried to roll over, but there was a muscular arm snaked across my torso, keeping me from moving.

“Kellin it’s noon and you have to get up. You can sleep the days away when you’re dead!”

Panic set in and I felt my heart jump to my throat. My eyes widened and I prayed that my mom wouldn’t try and open my door. I don’t think she’d be too happy seeing her son in bed with another naked, male ex-addict.

Luckily she waked away, probably to go and make breakfast for me like she does nearly every Sunday morning. I pushed Vic away with enough force to wake him up too. He made an angry grunting noise, and rolled from his side to his stomach. Even though he was annoyed and acting lazy, I couldn’t help but smile when I looked at him.

I rushed to the door and locked it before anything else happened. I put on a pair of boxers and threw a pair to Vic.

“Come on Vic, you gotta get up.” I said as I pulled a pair of pajama pants on.

“No. You can’t make me.” He said into the pillow.

“Maybe I can’t, but my mom sure as hell can. You have to get out, like, now. That was way too close.”

He finally sat up and pulled on the boxers I had thrown to him and his pair of skinny jeans.

“Actually I had something planned for us today! Let’s go.” He said impatiently, grabbing the rest of his clothing from last night and walking towards my bedroom door.

I jumped in front of him, blocking his access to the door. “No, Vic. I can’t. And don’t go out that way! My mom is downstairs right below us.” I said as strongly as I could even though I wanted nothing more than to go and run away with him. But I had to be a good son and follow through with my promise to spend time with my mom today.

“Fine. I’ll just jump out the window then.”

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics. “Uh. Fine. I’ll go downstairs first and distract her as you sneak through the front. But be quiet. ”

“Then I’ll go home, shower, get everything together, and we’ll meet back up here at say, eight ish?” he asked casually.

‘Get everything together’? My mind was racing with fantasies about what he could be planning. A romantic dinner maybe? A nice restaurant maybe? I couldn’t wait and see. And that gives me a good three hours with my mom, which should be just enough to make her happy too. A win-win!

“Okay, but I’ll meet you down at the bottom of the street though, just to be safe.” He nodded and I turned to leave when I was pushed against my bedroom wall harshly.

Vic’s lips were on mine before I knew what was happening. He cupped my face with his hand, and I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck. He moved to my neck, leaving hickies as he moved to suck on my collar bone. I was getting way too turned on, and just as I was letting myself get carried away, Vic pulled away and smirked at what he had just done to me.

“Can’t wait.” He said brushing his hand against my cheek as he opened the door for me.

I snapped out of my daze and tried to calm down as I walked as calmly as possible towards the kitchen.

“Hey Kellin chocolate chip pancakes are on the table!”

And with that I heard the front door quietly click shut, and then silence. I was finally able to exhale, and enjoy my pancakes.

________8:05pm

After a huge breakfast my mom and I did the dishes and just hung out for the rest of the day. We played some blackjack, and just enjoyed each other’s company.

Around seven thirty, I told her that I wasn’t feeling too well, and that I was just going to call it a night.

A little while later I snuck out the front door without any trouble, and have been waiting at the end of my street for ten minutes now. I was shaking by the time Vic’s huge black Range Rover rolled up. He jumped out the car, opened my door for me, and got back in.

“You look ravishing.” Vic said scanning me from head toe, making me feel incredibly self conscious.

“Stop that.” I said wrapping my arms around myself as my cheeks reddened.

“You can’t make me, so you better just get used to it. You’re just too cute when you’re uncomfortable.”

I gave up and rolled my eyes. “So where are we going anyway?” I asked, changing the subject as I noticed that we were driving away from the center of town.

“Well it’s funny you asked Kells. Now tell me. You can totally trust me by now, right?”

“Umm. Ya, I guess so..” I said slowly not liking where this was going at all, but then again I never do.

“And last time I told you that I just wanted to make you feel good, I did just that, right?”

Obviously I knew what he was talking about. Last night. And it was true. But what does that have to do with now? I certainly wouldn’t mind repeating that again, but where are we going? I hope he doesn’t want to go all the way tonight. That would just be too fast too soon.

“Okay, I don’t want you to freak out, but open the glove compartment, and tell me what you think.”

Okay? It was weird seeing Vic not acting so, well, blunt. It was like he was dancing around what he really wanted to say.

I reached forward and opened the compartment. I suddenly understood why.

“POT!? Vic. Why in the fucking hell do you have this shit in your car. I thought you were sober!” I said (more like shouted) at him.

“See Kellin, I knew react like this, but just hear me out.” He said, staying calm.

I was in his car and had no where else to go. And although I’m furious at him, I’m also genuinely interested in hearing Vic’s reasoning. I nodded at him letting him know that I was listening. This should be interesting.

“First off, I am sober. From alcohol and real drugs. I mean, let’s not be naïve Kellin, pot is not a drug” He said putting emphasis of the ‘not’. “It is a plant. It grows from the ground for Christ’s sake. It’s used for medical purposes all the time. Now tell me that that isn’t a good, healthy thing.”

I could understand his reasoning, but I was still confused. How did he get it? Who did he get it from? Is it, like, contaminated with anything else? Has he been doing this the entire time he’s been ‘recovering’? Do I actually want to know the answers to these questions?

“But why do you have it now?” I finally asked, already knowing the answer.

“Well, I assumed that you had never tried it before, and I thought we could do it together.”

“And what makes you think I’d agree to that?”

We pulled into an abandoned park and he turned off the car so he could face me.

“Look. I really like you Kellin. More than I think I’ve ever liked anyone before. And I want to be with you, Kells. And that means being honest with you.

I know what I’m doing here, and it’s not like a gateway drug or anything because that’s just a stupid thing that parent’s made up. I just want to totally relax you. It’s like you can literally feel the stress melt off of you. And you deserve some relaxation. You deserve to be happy and carefree. Not to mention the fact that you think I’m incredibly attractive when I blow smoke.”

“That is not true.”

It was completely true, but I’m still not willing to admit that. But that was just with cigarettes. Except, I reasoned, what really makes cigarettes so much more acceptable than pot? I mean, as long as we don’t drive or anything like that, I guess there wouldn’t really be anything to worry about.

“Where would we, you know, smoke it?” I asked, not saying yes or no to his offer.

“Right here!” He hopped out of the car before I could really protest, and opened my door. I slowly got out and we both sat on the hood of his car, looking out into the park and the forest that outlined it.

Vic took out a bible and I was horrified to see him rip out a page and begin to roll what I assumed to be a joint.

“Oh my god, we’re going to Hell.” I said half jokingly, half horrified.

“Like we weren’t already.” Vic said with a wink and a nudge to my side.

I looked the other way, blushing, as Vic finished whatever he was doing. When I turned back to watch him, I had never seen him concentrate so hard on anything before. Honestly, the look on his face was really hot as he licked the paper, sealing its content inside.

“Perfect.” He took out his lighter and lit one end. He took a hit, then gestured for me to take it as he exhaled the smoke like a professional. And with a shaky hand I took it in between my thumb and pointing finger, just like Vic had. I had no idea what to do next, so naturally I froze.

“Oh right. Sorry Kells.” Vic took it back, and explained how to shotgun the weed.

After I was as ready as I would ever be, Vic took another hit and held it in his mouth. I leaned forward and pressed my lips onto his. We both opened our mouths while Vic exhaled and I sucked in the smoke.

Here goes nothing.