Drank the Poison

Can't Handle Yourself

An entire school week had passed before I saw Vic again. It was awful. It seemed like he was always busy. But like a good boyfriend I didn’t smother him. I just figured that he was finally taking school seriously, for me. And that means more to me than us just hanging out and wasting the days away.

But at least he had his cell phone. And even if it was just one stupid little text, it sent a tingly feeling through my stomach to know that he was thinking of me throughout the day.

From Vic: Hey stupid ;)

I rolled my eyes, but couldn’t hold back the stupid smile on my lips.

To Vic: That’s not very nice you know, I guess I’m going to have to punish you now ;)

From Vic: Ya right babe <3

And he was right; we both knew that in this relationship I was 100% the submissive one. I don’t think I have a dominant bone in my body when I’m around Vic. But it works for us.

To Vic: Anyway, you’re coming to the meeting right? I really think James wants to talk to you. He just wants to be there for you <3

I hit send and held my breath. I knew that he hates it when I push him like this, but we’re in a relationship. I just wanted him to at least hear me out, for once.

Five minutes passed before I got a response.

From Vic: Oh shit! I didn’t tell you? I have to skip tonight :( Love you tho <3

To Vic: Wait, you’re not coming! Why!?

Twenty minutes later I still hadn’t received a response. I threw my phone on the floor and laid down on my bed in frustration. Suddenly I heard a knock on my door. Of course Vic was just messing with me. I leapt up and swung my door open.

“Ready Kellin?” My mom asked ecstatically.

I groaned in frustration and walked back over to my bed.

“I don’t really feel up to it tonight. But you go ahead, tell the guys I said hi.” I said honestly.

My mom just nodded in agreement, respecting my decision and not pushing it any further. “Well okay Hun. But I’m going to be home late tonight. We’re all planning on grabbing some dinner afterwards, so I’ll see you in the morning” She said shutting my door and heading back downstairs. “Love you!” she called as she left the house.

“Love you!” I yelled back as the front door shut.

I laid on my back again and stared at my ceiling. If Vic wasn’t going then what’s the point? I just want to sit and pout in my room till tomorrow. I also didn’t want to miss any text or call from Vic, just in case.

Hours passed and it was just a little after midnight now.

And I was actually being somewhat productive. I had decided to finally catch up on some homework. I was currently struggling through some math homework when I realized just how tired I was. So I left my desk, threw my dirty clothes onto the ground, and hopped into bed. But just as I did so, my phone began to buzz.

I reached over and looked at the screen. Oddly enough it was Vic’s name that popped up.

“Hello?” I questioned sleepily.

“*Hiccup* Kellin I neeed youu.. There’s no more booze and I’m lonellllyyy” Vic whined and slurred on the other line.

My heart broke as my eyes grew wide. It was one of my greatest fears coming true. Vic had fallen off the wagon. Hard. What the fuck happened? He was out of the program for the first time (that I knew about anyway).

“Vic? Where are you?” I said getting up and pulling my jeans back on.

“Where are you Kelly bears?” Vic mocked me.

“Are you at home? Are you with anyone else?” I said clearly, like I was talking to a five year old. Please don’t say Ronnie. Please don’t say Ronnie..

“Nope. Allll alone. Me, myself, and my dick.” he sang.

Classy.

I could only imagine what his parents would do if they found him like this. What if they locked him back up in the rehab center? They had threatened it before, and I’m not willing to see them follow through with it.

“Vic I’m coming over. Just don’t do anything stupid before I get there.” I warned.

“No promises!” He slurred and hung up.

Fuck. I swung my door open and jumped down the stairs two at a time. I reached the front door when I stopped dead in my tracks.

Fuck fuck. And how the Hell am I supposed to get there exactly? No car and there’s no way I’m calling my mom.

I took out my phone and held my breath as I waited for the line to pick up.

“Hello?” An exhausted voice sounded through the phone.

“Um, Alex? This is Kellin.. Ya the guy that you did the Great Gatsby project with. I know that we barely know each other, but I was wondering if there’s anyway I could possibly borrow your car for just a few hours. It’s an emergency.” I asked as normally as I could.

And I hated myself for having to ask a guy I’ve barely ever talked to, but he was my only hope. I had gone to his house only once before, to work on an English project, ans he was only two blocks over, so he really was my best option right now.

“Ummm okay.” He said slowly and awkwardly, but still agreeing.

At this point I really didn’t care how ridiculous I sounded. Nothing else matters as long as I don’t have my eyes on Vic right now. Who knows what he could be doing.

“Great! Thank you! I’ll be over in five minutes.”

I hung up before I wasted anymore time. Once again I threw the door open and began to jog to Alex’s house.

By the time I got there I was trying to catch my breath. Never being a very athletic person, I could feel how flushed my cheeks were.

I looked up, wondering if I should knock or not, when Alex popped his head out the door.

“Hey” He greeted my kindly.

I jogged over to him and grabbed the keys he held out for me. “Thank you so so much Alex. I know that you didn’t have to say yes, but it means the world to me.”

“It’s really no problem Kellin. But, you sounded pretty distraught on the phone. Are you sure everything’s okay?”

“Ya. Just need to be somewhere that’s too far to walk, like right now.” I tried to explain without actually telling him anything personal. And he seemed to understand.

He also looked exhausted, because it was the middle of the night after all, but I felt full of energy.

So I thanked him again, and walked over to what I assumed was his car. It was little and sliver, and my ticket to Vic.

I got in, started it up, and quickly drove off. I made a quick note in my head, making sure to thank Alex the next time I see him. He really was my hero right now.

I sped off and got to Vic’s house as quickly as I could. I parked next door to his house, just incase someone drove by. It didn’t look like anybody was home, but I prayed that Vic was. I ran up to his door and knocked hard on the door.

No answer.

I knocked again and was growing impatient when suddenly the door violently flew open, and a sick looking Vic was there leaning against the door for support. “Kellin!” he said a little too loudly.

I went to take a step inside, when Vic, without warning, let all of his stomach’s content out onto the entryway’s floor.

He looked up to me, and wiped the remnants off of his cheek. “Oops.”

Gross. Even though it was Vic it still repulsed me.

“I don’t feel too good.” He whined, still looking sick and holding his stomach.

So I did what I had to do. I carefully stepped over the mess and hooked my arm around Vic’s waste. I could smell the alcohol radiating off of him.

I led him to the bathroom as quickly as his stumbling feet could move. We got there just in time because as soon as we entered Vic fell to his knees and continued throwing up into the toilet.

I reluctantly made a mental note to clean up the other mess before I left so no one else would find it. But I don’t think I have to worry about that now because I have a feeling that I won’t be leaving anytime soon.

I knelt next to Vic, held my breath, and held back his long locks of hair. I could feel my lunch coming up, but I held it back with all my might, for both my and Vic’s sake.

Finally he rested his head on the seat and looked up at me.

“Just stay here Vic, I’m going to get you a glass of water.” I stood up and searched the counter for a cup. I dumped out a toothbrush and filled a plastic cup with some sink water. Meanwhile, Vic had begun to sing, and I just rolled my eyes in annoyance.

I turned back around and saw that Vic was almost standing up. I rushed over to him, and tried to carefully bring the cup up to his lips. But Vic had other ideas as he grabbed it out of my hand and chugged it. He threw the cup onto the floor and smiled triumphantly.

I was going to tell him to slow down, and then hopefully get him to eat something so he’d sober up a bit. But that was not what was on his mind.

Before I could stop him, Vic’s lips were on mine. He pushed me against a wall with both of his arms on either side of my head. I tried pushing him away because puke and alcohol were two flavors I did not want to taste right now.

But Vic was strong and unruly. He kept kissing me and even tried to shove his tongue into my mouth. Desperate, I tried to turn my face, but he kept it up. So instead I ducked under his arms, and his slow reaction time allowed me to get free.

“No Vic.” I scolded him.

Vic pouted and stomped his foot. I just rolled my eyes and walked to the kitchen. I scanned through the kitchen and looked for something simple. I didn’t want to make a mess, so scrambled eggs would have to do.

As I grabbed a pan and cracked the eggs, Vic stumbled into the kitchen too. I simply ignored him until the food was ready.

“Come on Vic. Into the living room.” I demanded. Vic agreed and we sat down onto the couch.

“Eat.” I held up a full fork to his hand, and he actually began to scarf it down. I turned on whatever movie was already playing as I watched Vic sober up.

But halfway through the meal, Vic laid his head down on my lap. I sighed as let him slowly fall asleep. It was easier having him sleep on me than having him try to sleep with me again.

About fifteen minutes later I felt my phone vibrate, and curiosity took over as pulled my phone out of my pocket, careful not to wake Vic up.

But that curiosity quickly turned into fear.

From Mom: WHERE ARE YOU. I trusted you...