Love Behind Lies

Chapter 13

Chapter 13

When we go in the room, I could see that there were two chairs and one small table, all metal and plain. The walls were bare and the main part of the room was a perfect square. In back left hand corner there was a small doorway that led to another room, smaller than the one we were in now. As far as I could see from where I was standing, there was only a desk in the back room.
Nate brought me over to one of the cold metal chairs and sat me down forcefully. Then he got some tough looking rope and tied my arms together behind the chair.
“Do you really think this is necessary,” I asked.
“Yes. I do,” Nate said and let tightened my ropes, making me gasp with pain. “You okay,” he asked sarcastically.
“Never been better,” I sneered.
Nate stood up and walked back towards the door. As he moved away I noticed Margaret had received the same treatment. I tried moving my wrists, but that only brought me more pain. The rope was digging into my skin, making it burn so bad I couldn’t take the pain. I looked across at Margaret to see that she wasn’t struggling at all, but had fear written across her face.
“Okay. Well now that this is all settled, we are going to leave you here and go back to class. So yeah. We will come and get you after school is over. Don’t even try to escape. You’ll only hurt yourself and we don’t want that. It’s impossible anyway. The rope has thick wire through the middle,” Loren informed us.
No one said anything else as the boys all left the room. Sam didn’t even say anything else to me about earlier, so that was good. Nick had taken our cell phones and anything they thought could help us get out. Everything but my ring.
After they left, it was silent for a few minutes before I noticed that there were tears streaming down Margaret’s face.
“Margaret, what’s wrong? Did they hurt you,” I asked her, sincerely.
“What’s wrong? Are you serious,” she screamed. “We are tied to some old chairs in a room no one’s ever heard of. We are going to be kidnapped. They will probably torture us, beat us, who knows!” Margaret was stressed. I just had to ignore her. She needed to relax before anyone could talk sense into her.
Meanwhile, I wriggled my hands to that I could get to my ring. My fingers brushed up against the diamond. My heart was beating so hard, that I thought Margaret could hear it. My fingers finally grasped the stone and I rotated it slowly clockwise, three times. Then I pointed the ring down so that it could cut through the rope. I heard sizzling coming from behind me and I could feel the heat from the laser radiating through the back of my chair. Finally the ropes loosened and my wrists were free. I stood up and walked over to Margaret.
Fear disappeared from her face, and amazement took over in her eyes. She was speechless as what I just did. I pointed my ring towards her tied wrists and freed her in seconds. I looked at my ring and rotated it counter-clockwise once and then waited for the call to be put through to Brent. The ring made a small noise and the Brent’s voice was being projected throughout the room.
“What’s wrong?” Brent’s voice was frantic.
“Margaret and I are locked up in a secret room in the basement of our school. The ring helped us untie ourselves from the chairs, but we can’t get out of the room. Loren locked it from the outside. He’s coming back at the end of the school day. What should we do?” My voice become more shaky as I explained my story and by the time I was actually done tears were in my eyes.
“Okay. Cat, it’s okay. You’re going to be fine. Don’t worry. I’m in my car on my way to you and Margaret. The ring has a tracking device on it, so I know exactly where you are. I’ll be right there, okay?”
“Okay,” I said.
“I will see you in about five minutes. Stay calm and take deep breaths. Don’t make any loud noises because we don’t want the boys to come back.”
“Okay.” I hung up and took a deep breath.
“Who was that,” Margaret asked. I had totally forgotten that she had no idea about Brent and the spy organization.
“He’s just a good friend of mine. He’s going to come and help us out,” I replied, still trying to relax.
“What’s his name?”
“Brent.”
I stepped away from Margaret and took a deep breath. I looked around the small room and my eyes landed on the back room with the desk in the middle of it. I had seen Sam go back there after he took our phones. I walked over to the desk and began opening drawers. I found my cell phone in the first drawer, along with Margaret’s. I kept looking through the desk just to see if there was anything else out of the ordinary. In one of the filing drawers I found a manila folder with some papers inside it, so I kept it. Maybe Brent can make something of it.
Suddenly there was a knock at the door and my eyes darted to Margaret, who looked worried again. There was another series of pounding and I walked towards the door quietly. Once I reached the door, I touched the handle but didn’t do anything. The handle slowly moved my hand as the door opened quietly. I quickly let go of the handle and took a couple steps backwards. Who was opening the door?
Sam’s head popped around the halfway opened door. “Aren’t you supposed to be tied up right now?” Sam scared me and I jumped back farther away from the door.
We were screwed. Sam made no move towards me but slowly stepped more inside the room, leaving the door propped open with his foot. “What do you think you’re doing, Catherine?” I didn’t answer Sam’s question. Brent should be here soon.
“Where is everyone else,” I asked Sam.
“In class. They just sent me down here to check up on you.”
“Why did you knock on the door?”
“Instinct I guess?”
I had nothing else to say, so Sam and I just stared at each other.
“Cat?” Brent’s voice boomed down the hallway as his footsteps echoed nearby. Sam’s head snapped around he went to see who was coming, letting the door shut, locking Margaret and me back in here.
“Who was that,” Margaret asked, referring to the voice we heard in the hallway that made Sam leave.
“Brent, I hope.”
“Okay, good. Let’s hope we can get out of here then.”
I leaned back against the door Sam had just disappeared behind. Now all we have to do it wait. As soon as I put weight into the door, I fell backwards, landing on my ass.
“Katie! Are you okay?” Margaret ran over to me.
“Yeah, I’m fine. At least this means we can see where Brent and Sam went.” I turned around just in time to see the a door across the hallway closing.
I quickly stood up and ran across the hallway, opening the door that had just closed. I snuck down the small hallway until I could hear Brent and Sam arguing.
“You need to leave them alone!” Brent sounded really angry.
“No, I can do whatever I want!” Sam’s voice was strong, but deep down I knew he was scared.
“If you lay your hands on either one of them, you will go to jail for many years. Do you understand?”
“I don’t care what you say. I want Catherine!”
“You can’t have her! Why don’t you understand? She doesn’t want you!”
“How do you know that? Have you asked her?”
“Yes, I have. Now can you just take my advice and leave Catherine and Margaret alone?”
“I can’t make any promises. I only listen to what Loren tells me to do.”
“Then you better tell him that you are done with him! Do you understand?”
“Yeah, sure, whatever.”
“Now, leave these guys alone. I am going to bring Catherine and Margaret home, after I talk to the front desk.”
“Oh, I wouldn’t do that,” Sam said.
“Why?”
“Loren said that if anyone finds out about what happened today that he was going to send people to Catherine’s house and that he was going to make sure that Catherine’s dad was going to die.”
“Fine, then. I won’t tell anyone about today,” Brent said, defeated.
Someone started walking so I ran back to the hallway and then back into the room that Margaret and I had been in. Margaret was still in the room, sitting on a chair, when I came back.
“Where did you go,” she asked when I quietly closed the door behind me.
“I followed Brent and Sam and listened to their conversation. Brent basically yelled at Sam the whole time, but there are on their way back now, so I had to run back quickly.”
“Oh, so we are going to be able to go home soon?”
“Yeah, I think so, but make sure that you don’t tell anyone about what happened today.” I wasn’t going to tell Margaret why, because she would probably faint from being too stressed out.
“We sat there for Brent to come back for about ten minutes before there was a knock on the door before it slowly opened. Brent’s eyes connected with mine.
“How are you,” he asked.
“We’re fine,” I said. I could tell he was stressed.
“Okay. Let’s get you out of here.” He sounded mad or something and he didn’t even smile, scaring me.
“Wait.” I said, making Brent stop walking towards the door. He turned around. “I found some papers in that desk,” I finished, pointing to the desk in the back room.
“Oh. Good.” Brent nodded his head and actually smiled at me. “Why don’t you bring those with us and I can look them over when I get back.”
I grabbed the papers and then followed Brent out the door with Margaret following quietly.
We walked out of the school without saying anything to anyone. There were only 45 minutes left in the school day anyway. We walked into the parking lot and hopped into Brent’s car and drove home in silence. Good thing it was a short ride.
Margaret got out of the car as soon as Brent put the car in park, leaving me and Brent in the car.
“I’ll talk to you later, okay,” Brent asked.
“Ok, and thanks for helping me out and not apologizing. Oh, and please don’t tell William what happened,” I said.
“Anything for you, Cat. I promise that I will keep you safe from this point forward. Keep in touch okay?”
“Okay. Bye,” I said, as I got out of the car.