Love Behind Lies

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I worked on homework and sauntered around the house all day Sunday. I didn’t want to do anything else. I went downstairs for dinner and then came back to my room as soon as I was done, wanting to prepare myself mentally for school on Monday.
I got ready for bed as soon as possible; I didn’t want to stay up late thinking about my day tomorrow. I just wanted to get it done and over with. I was just super nervous that something bad was going to happen; even though Brent reassured me everything was going to be fine.
I went over to my desk and picked up the ring Brent gave me. I wanted to test it, but couldn’t find anything to test it on, so I just set is back down next to my bed, and climbed under my sheets. I turned off my lights and took a deep breath. I closed my eyes and fell asleep almost instantly. I must have been so tired, because I’m pretty sure I didn’t even dream and I slept through my alarm the next morning.
“Catherine! Are you up,” someone was knocking on my door and yelling.
“What,” I asked, I was trying to figure out what was going on. I hadn’t woken up all the way yet.
“Are you up? We are leaving in 30 minutes and you need to get ready!” The voice belonged to Margaret and she had opened the door slightly so that I could hear her better.
“Shit! I must have slept through my alarm! Thank you Margaret. I’ll be ready soon.” I jumped out of bed and was in and out of the shower quickly. I ran a brush through my hair and got dressed. I went back into the room, grabbed the ring and my backpack and then headed downstairs for breakfast, my hair already drying straight.
“Don’t you just love how straight out hair dries? If you are running late in the morning, you don’t have to waste time blow drying it and stuff. I love it,” Margaret said.
I laughed and grabbed a granola bar. Then I said goodbye to my mom and we all walked out the door. My family was pretty close, so we didn’t have any problems walking to school together.
Once I got outside, I took a deep breath. I had been rushed out of the house and I had a big day ahead of me. I was not excited to see Sam whatsoever, or any of those boys for that matter. I need to prepare myself. I walked behind the rest of my family in silence, trying to make myself feel better.
“Hey. You have to watch your back today and play everything safe, okay,” William asked, breaking the silence. William decided to walk all of us to school. Made him feel better about my safety.
“Yeah, I got it. I am just really nervous that something bad is going to happen and I haven’t seen them since that night.” I didn’t need to be specific. William knew that I was talking about the four boys and the kidnapping incident in the forest.
“You’ll be fine. Don’t worry. And if anything happens to you, and it has to do with Brent, you’re never going to see him again,” William said, smirking. Well that made me feel a ton better.
“What? He has nothing to do with this. You can’t do that to me,” I argued.
“Then don’t get into any trouble.”
I was gaping as William. I couldn’t believe him. William just smiled at me.
“Whatever.”
We walked in silence for only a little bit more before we came to the school’s entrance, and William had already put me in a bad mood. He didn’t even need to walk with us!
“Okay, I’m going to head back home so I can get ready for my college lecture. I want you all to meet here after school, and walk home together okay?” William was looking right at me when he said that last part. I rolled my eyes and Oscar, Thomas, and I all walked to our first class.
“What was William talking to you about,” Thomas asked.
“Nothing really,” I replied.
“Why don’t we ever get to know anything,” Oscar asked.
“I promised that I wouldn’t tell anyone but Will. If I ever get the chance, I will tell you guys someday.” They both looked at me with confused looks, but kept walking.
My phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out to see who it was from.

I don’t think I can meet in the hallway during homeroom today.

The text was from Margaret. Our plan had been to meet and stay together during homeroom so she wouldn’t have to deal with Loren and his friends. I didn’t know what was going to happen now.

Ok. Have a good day.

I shut my phone and walked to my locker in the main hallway. I was really nervous. I guess that I am lucky the Sam, Nate, Nick, and Loren aren’t in my grade. I feel bad for Margaret. I hope everything goes okay for her today.
I went to my locker with no sign of the boys. When I opened my locker, a note fell out. My stomach fluttered. I was trying to think of who the note would be from. I unfolded the piece of paper and read what was written.

Meet us in the main hallway during 5th hour. After lunch. If you don’t show up we will spread rumors about you and your family. You don’t want that do you?
Sincerely,
Loren

I couldn’t believe it. The boys were going to get to me with words rather than in person. That’s ridiculous. I was about to text Margaret telling her that I couldn’t meet with her, and then realized what she has just told me. I bet she got the same note, which made me even angrier.
We were both supposed to meet them after lunch. I began walking to my first class, when I realized that I was probably walking into trouble again. Hopefully this time won’t be as scary. Maybe I can stand up for myself.
I reached down and touched the ring that rested on my finger. Brent was probably busy with school too. If I needed him, he might not be able to come. I took a deep breath and walked to my first hour class. I walked into my classroom just as the bell rang.
The first half of my day went really slow. I never really thought about what I was going to do after lunch. I thought about texting Brent once, but decided against it. I knew I was going to be just fine. I mean, I had the ring if worse comes to worse.
After lunch I went to my locker and put my stuff away. I wasn’t missing any class because it was my homeroom and students didn’t have to report to homeroom because it is more like a free period. The extra time give students the opportunity to go home to eat or finish homework.
I walked down the main hall in Central High and I could already hear footsteps behind me. I turned around to find Margaret.
“Hey,” I said to Margaret, turning around and waiting for her to catch up.
“What are you doing? I told you that I couldn’t meet during this time,” Margaret said, catching up.
“I’m not coming here to meet you. I’m here to meet someone else.”
“Who are you coming to meet,” Margaret asked, looking confused.
“Loren and his friends, the ones that we talked about a couple nights ago.”
Margaret’s smile disappeared. “Uh oh. That’s who I’m meeting.”
“Well this’ll be interesting,” I said as we walked down the hallway.
Suddenly, four figures stepped out from behind the wall right in front of us. Margaret stopped walking, but I didn’t. I could tell she was scared.
“I’m so glad that you showed up. You would have been pretty mad at us if you hadn’t,” Nick said. I just glared at him. Margaret had taken a few steps forward to stand next to me.
“What do you want from us,” I asked.
“You know what I want from you,” Sam said to me, smiling. I glared at him.
“Whatever, Sam. Leave us alone. You may never get what you want after this anyway.” I paused. “Why did you need to talk to Margaret,” I asked.
“You know that too. Why do you have to keep asking us questions that you already know the answer to,” Loren asked, laughing.
“You think that Margaret is hot and that’s why you stalk her,” I snapped. I looked at Margaret who didn’t look shocked.
“Yeah, pretty much. But we are stalking you for different reasons. Do you have a problem with that…Cat,” Sam asked.
“Yeah I have a problem with that! Why can’t you just leave us alone? And don’t call me Cat,” I yelled, glaring at Sam. He makes me so mad.
“Maybe we should take her somewhere before someone hears her,” Nate whispered to Loren.
“Yeah and quick,” Loren replied and grabbed Margaret, who didn’t even look surprised. I tried to help her, but Sam caught on to what Loren was doing and grabbed me from behind.
“What are you doing with us? Where are you--,” I yelled, but I couldn’t even finish my sentence because Sam’s hand covered my mouth.
“I suggest that you stay quiet from this point forward. We don’t want people to know what we are doing,” Sam whispered in my ear. I struggled against his hold on me but he didn’t let go. Where was everyone? Why weren’t there any students in the hallway to witness this? I have never seen the hallways so empty.
I gave up on freeing myself. I knew that even if I did get free, Sam would just grab me again.
“I like the feeling of you struggling against me,” Sam said. My last thought flew out the window as I pushed my elbow back as hard as I could and hit him in the gut. He dropped to the ground and I was free. Loren turned around with Margaret, and Nate and Nick came running towards me. I tried to run, but Nate grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. Nate was much stronger than Sam so I didn’t struggle at all.
“Nice try Catherine,” Nate said to me as he started walking again. Where are we going? The only places down this hallway were the locker rooms and we couldn’t go into the guys’ locker room and vice versa.
“Where are we going,” I asked.
“A special room that no one knows about except us,” Loren said.
“Great,” I mumbled. Sam finally caught up to us again and was only a few steps behind Nate and me. He must have been really angry at me because he was breathing really hard.
Loren finally stopped walking and let go of Margaret. Margaret didn’t even move. She must have been terrified. Nothing like this has ever happened to her before. I guess it’s never really happened to before either…
“Catherine, I think you should learn from your sister. She is a very good listener,” Loren said to me. I just glared back at him. Loren took out a key and unlocked a door I have never seen before. He opened the door and led us all through it and into the small room.