Love Behind Lies

Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I was almost in tears by the time I reached the bottom of the stairs that Kang had led me down. We were walking through small hallways and I had lost all sense of direction. The only thing I knew was that we had gone down at least one flight of stairs, putting us underground.
Kang had finally stopped pushing me and unlocked a door on the right side of the hallway. He opened the door, pushed me through it, and then slammed the door behind me, locking it.
It took me a moment to figure out what was going on. The lights were on and there was a couch and a T.V. The walls were white and there was only one lamp on a side table. In the middle of the room, in front of the couch was a long coffee table.
There were feet resting on the table, which scared me. I thought I was alone. I slowly looked from the feet to the head of the person I was sharing this room with and was petrified with I met eyes with Nick Sayner. He was sitting on the couch, completely relaxed, staring at me.
“Why aren’t you happy to see me,” Nick asked, jokingly.
“Why would I be happy to see you? The last time I saw you, I was in the woods after you kidnapped Evan,” I replied, a little more sure of myself.
“I guess that makes sense. Why don’t you come and sit down next to me.”
“Why am I here?”
“Come and sit, and I will explain everything.”
I slowly walked over to him and sat down on the couch. He moved closer to me and rested his arm around my shoulders. I tried to move away but he wouldn’t let go of me.
Nick sighed and then began his story. “I will start from the very beginning. Your dad and my dad worked together. One day, your dad told the company to fire my dad. My dad couldn’t get another job and we had to sell our house and move into an apartment. My family is pretty good at revenge. I guess you could say we’re known for it by certain people, however we are also notorious for not getting caught, so my dad thought that kidnapping your dad was the best option. That way, he could get whatever he wanted by threatening to kill your dad. So my dad decided to call some old friends here in Italy and they drafted a plan. They decided to go into action when your dad came into the Chinese restaurant. The managers would kidnap him and they would hold him hostage until notified. Of course, my dad knew your dad’s exact moves since they were supposed to work on this mission together.” Nick paused. “Now, that, my dear, is all I know. I don’t know how Brent got into the equation. My guess would be that the ASO had their eyes on my family and decided to have Brent trick you into coming here so that the ASO could get your dad back safely. I told my dad I wanted you to myself, so that’s why you’re here.”
“I hate you.” That was all I could muster.
“That is really unfortunate, because you are stuck with me for a while, unless you miss behave. Then they might just kill you.”
I just stayed quiet.
“Well, you must be tired. You can go ahead and sleep if you want. I promise I won’t hurt you if you keep listening to me. I’ll wake you up when I need you later.”
Nick moved away from me and then pulled me down so that my head was resting on his legs. He arm snaked around my back and under my shirt, resting on my waist. I tried to ignore his touch, but I couldn’t. I grabbed his hand to move it but he only held on tighter.
“I told you Catherine. I won’t hurt you if you listen to me. Let me touch you, love.”
“Don’t you ever call me that. You don’t love me. If you did, you would treat me better.”
“That may be true Catherine. Now sleep.”
He was right. I was tired. I fell asleep almost instantly, but I did remember one thing. The ring Brent had given me. What was it? Rotate the ring counter-clock wise twice? Yeah, that was it. I rotated it twice and then fell asleep peacefully in Nick’s lap.