Love Behind Lies

Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

After my weird encounter that night, I couldn’t stop thinking about what happened. I had finished that short walk home as fast as I could. I just couldn’t wait to tell William what had just happened.
As soon as my hand touched the door, my mom opened it up. She looked worried.
“Oh my gosh! Catherine Grace! Where have you been?” My mother questioned.
“I was taking a walk,” I said calmly, even though I was shocked by her outburst. “I’m sorry. I thought I told you.” It wasn’t a complete lie. I was on a walk, but I didn’t tell her where I was or what I was doing.
“You had me worried sick. I can’t believe you did that!”
“I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”
“I’d hope so. I’m not letting you leave the house anymore!”
“What? I have place to go! Things to do! You can’t do that!”
“Fine. You can’t leave the house unless William goes with you.” It was easy to change my mom’s opinions on things like this. She is too sweet not to.
I smiled remembering that Brent gave me permission to tell William everything about what happened. So I was glad that mom gave me this punishment. Mom saw me smiling, so I stopped. “Ok. Well can I go upstairs now?”
“Yes, and tell William that he has to make sure you don’t leave the house without him. Otherwise you are both grounded.”
I left the room and basically ran up the stairs. I couldn’t wait to tell William everything. I didn’t even hesitate when I came to his door. I knocked and went in. It looked like he was working on some homework.
“Hey,” I said.
“Oh hey, where have you been? Mom was freaking out. I couldn’t believe you left without telling her. I was about to –,” he said, but I cut him off.
“Yeah, I know. And now she won’t let me leave the house without you.”
“What? I am your punishment?” William was standing now.
“Yeah, but I am glad,” I said.
“Why? Are you okay? Why would you –.”
“I would like to tell you where I was and what I was doing, but you won’t stop asking questions.” I glared at Will and put my hand on my hip. Why won’t he listen?
“Ok. I’m sorry. I don’t like it when my little sister is missing. I’m ready. You can tell me.”
So I went on and told him everything about what happened and when Brent said. I also told him about the encounter that I had with Loren and his friends. William couldn’t believe it. He thought it was weird that the same day Margaret ran into Loren and his friends, was the same day that these boys came to me at school. There has to be a coincidence there, right?
Will was glad that I told him everything and said he would be glad to come with me whenever I needed to. I did make him swear not to tell mom or dad or anyone. He promised and I left his room.
I passed Thomas’ room and hesitated at his door. I told him that I would talk to him later, so I knocked on his door.
Thomas opened the door slowly and peeked around it. “Hey,” he said, opening the door wide enough to let me come inside. Thomas’ room was a mess. I could barely see the floor. All of his drawers were open and there were clothes all over the place. “Sorry about the room.” Thomas must have noticed me gaping as I looked around the room.
“No, it’s okay,” I said, walking further into the room. “Did a tornado go through here?” I asked, only half joking.
Thomas laughed at my joke and smiled at me. “You going to tell me what’s going on?” Thomas asked, going back to being serious.
I took a deep breath. “Look, Thomas, I can’t tell you. I could only tell one person and that person had to be William. Since I left, Mom won’t let me leave the house without him, so it only made sense for him to be the one to know.” I looked up at Thomas.
“So why did you come here then?” Thomas asked.
“I just wanted to make sure that you didn’t think that I was blowing you off. I told you that I would talk to you later. So, I am talking to you. I’m sorry.”
“No, it’s okay. I understand.” Thomas looked disappointed.
I walked over to him and gave him a big hug. He wasn’t expecting it. I usually didn’t give my brothers hugs. I just felt bad for Thomas.
“Promise me one thing,” Thomas asked, pulling away from the hug.
“Yes?” I asked.
“If things start to get out of control, will you tell me?”
“Yes, if it ever comes to that.” I turned away from Thomas, giving him a hopeful smile and left the room. I quietly headed towards my room. I was so tired. I picked up a few things in my room and changed into my pajamas, looking forward to a good night of sleep.
I got into my bed and couldn’t help but think of Brent and how sweet he was to me. Then again, he was a spy. He was supposed to be dangerous and hurt people. For good though right? Brent was a good guy. I could trust him. Evan seemed like a nice enough guy, I’m sure they are telling the right about the whole situation. They wouldn’t lie to me.
I don’t know how long I laid in my bed thinking about Brent and the whole situation, but minutes were passing by quickly. I turned my lights off, threw my pillow over my head, and forced my eyes shut. I needed to go to bed so I could wake up and call Brent in the morning.
Finally, two hours later, I couldn’t take it any long and sleep finally overtook me and my eyes drooped shut for the night. Brent and all his sexy voice that I get to hear tomorrow, being the last thing that went through my head.