Love Behind Lies

Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

Friday morning was normal. I woke up, got ready for school, ate breakfast, and left the house with all my siblings. It was about 11:00am when I realized that I had forgotten to call Brent this morning. Should I call him during the day or just wait until tonight? I decided to call him during free period. William had said it was okay to take the job, but he also said that if I ever felt like it was trap, to back out and leave the boys alone. The only reason that we were even considering the job was the fact that my dad’s life was on the line. William didn’t want our dad to die either.
I was walking down the hall to the bathroom so that I could use my phone. It was weird because there was no one in the hallway during our free period. Usually there were a lot of people walking around, trying to ditch classes.
I kept walking down the hall and came to the bathroom. I walked in and called Brent’s number. The phone only rang once before he answered.
“Hey, I thought you would never call! Aren’t you in school right now?” Brent asked. He seemed happy to hear my voice.
“Yeah, I forgot to call you this morning and remembered that I needed to call you when my friends were talking about Steven Brent.” I laughed at my stupid story. “And yeah, I am in free period,” I said.
“Oh, so what were you going to tell me about?”
“Ok. So after I was scolded by my mom for going on a walk without telling her, I went up to my brother’s room and told him everything. I can’t leave the house anymore, unless William is with me; that’s my punishment. So everything sort of worked out perfectly, since you told me that I could tell William everything and that he could come with me to meetings or stuff.
“Yeah, everything works out great. So what is your final answer?”
“Yeah, I think that I can do it, although I don’t know if William will let me come with you to places without him. So, that I am kind of worried about, but this whole thing kind of seems like a scam. I mean it was just really random and everything.”
Brent sighed heavily and it sounded like he was going to tell me that I was right, but he just let it go.
“Ok, so how about tonight 9:00pm, you and William can meet us. We will be at the same street, but that light pole and we can just talk really quick. It won’t take that long. I don’t even know why we need it, but Evan insists. Although, make your brother promise that we can be alone with no one listening for a little bit after.”
“Ok,” I said, not knowing what that meant. Brent said a couple more things about tonight and Italy in general before hanging up. I checked myself in the mirror before leaving the bathroom and heading back to my classroom. I walked out of the bathroom and ran into someone. “Oh, sorry,” I said, not looking up to see who it was.
“Hey, it’s no problem. You okay?” I looked up and saw Sam Knight. At first I was shocked to see him standing there. Then I realized how hot he looks when you are standing inches away from him. I stared at him for a moment before snapping out of it, his gorgeous blue eyes boring into mine. I guess I was just in shock.
“Oh, my gosh! I am so sorry that I ran into you. I won’t do it again. I promise.” I tried to walk away. It didn’t want Sam to beat me up or something.
“Don’t worry about it,” Sam said, calmly. He grabbed my arm so that I wouldn’t leave.
“What?” I asked in disbelief.
“I don’t care that you ran into me,” Sam repeated. I think that my heart was beating so hard in my chest Sam could hear it.
“Oh, okay.” I said.
“Where are you headed to?” He asked.
“Back to free period,” I replied, still trying to figure out why Sam was acting the way he was. Usually he was mean and angry when he talked to people that weren’t his friends. What is up with him?
“Oh, okay. Well I will see you later, then,” Sam said, and then laughed. I think that he knew something I didn’t know.
I gave him a questioning look, but he just smiled back. “Don’t worry about it,” he said, turning around, shaking his head. I stared at his retreating body. It’s like he knew what I was thinking…
I was confused by the whole thing. I’ve never talked to Sam before and now I am talking to him on a daily basis. And what did he mean by ‘I’ll see you later’?
After my encounter with Sam, again, the day finished really slow. I guess that meant that I was a little excited for tonight and worried about what Sam meant. I didn’t know what to expect. William could go all weird on me and try to protect me or he could just let everything slide. I had no idea what William would think about the whole thing. He seemed okay about it when I told him the whole story. The other thing that I was worried about was what Brent wanted to do. Alone. William would never let that happen. I was so worried.
I was thinking about this as I walked home with Oscar and Thomas. They didn’t really have much to talk about usually, but today was different. Thomas and one of his friends were walking a few steps behind Oscar and me, talking about something in hushed whispers. Oscar has been talking to me the whole time about our really easy History test. Usually Oscar blows off the test as soon as it was over. Now, he couldn’t stop talking about it. He finally seemed like he was about to stop talking when he started talking really quietly.
“So what really happened last night?” He asked, whispering so softly, I could barely hear.
“Oh, nothing,” I lied.
“You sure? Because you ran home as soon as you saw our house. You walked right in and then ran to William’s room.”
“Oh. So you were watching me.”
“Yeah, sort of. I wanted to see what you were up to.”
“Like I said, it was nothing.”
“Then why did you run right into William’s room. You never do that unless you really need help.”
“I just had a few questions for him,” I said. Oscar knew I was lying. I could tell by the way he was looking at me; like he was trying to scan my brain for information or something. Then, suddenly Thomas screamed. Thank God that conversation was over.
“What the hell?” Oscar and I said at the same time. I guess that’s what happened when you have a twin.
“Oh, sorry. I just knew that Kate here needed to be done talking with you.” Thomas pointed at Oscar like he did something wrong.
“What?” Oscar and I said at the same time again.
“Never mind,” Thomas said, annoyed.
I looked at Thomas. I smiled at him as a way of thanking him. He smiled back. Sometimes my brothers were alright. I was surprised that Thomas did something though. Last night he seemed really mad at me for not telling him. I thought that maybe he would take it out on me. Maybe it was because he actually cared about me. Maybe it was because I promised him that if I ever needed him, I would talk to him. Either way, I am glad that he still on my side.
I was thinking this through when my mom interrupted.
“Katie? You okay?” She asked.
“Yeah, I was just thinking about something,” I replied.
“Kate, you just ran into me,” Oscar said.
“What?” I asked, still a little bit out of it.
“You just ran into me,” Oscar said again.
“Oh, sorry,” I said and walked up to my room.