Love Behind Lies

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Nate and Sam grabbed my arms and started pulling me along back towards where Loren was standing.
“If you don’t answer these next questions, you will never see Brent or your family again. Do you understand?” Loren asked, angrily.
I nodded and then he slapped me across the face. I winced; my cheek was stilling burning from his abuse earlier. I tried to move away from Loren, his anger scaring me, but Sam and Nate held me tight. Why was Loren so mad at me?
“What was that for?” I asked through gritted teeth. I needed to relax, or else the situation could escalate. I regretted asking Loren his purpose for hitting me when I saw the look on his face. Loren’s smile was one of the most evil smiles I had ever seen. His eyes were searing mine and I had to look away first.
“I just wanted to see how feisty you were and I think, from the events so far, we are going to have a…interesting night.”
I glared at him and he turned around with a low chuckle, making me want to tackle him to the ground and teach him a lesson. Loren started to walk away and Nate, Sam and I followed. Having nothing to do, I spent my time trying to get to know the faces of my kidnappers.
Nate was tall and very strong. He has a body built like Brent, but then again, they all did. He has dirty blonde hair that had been cut short and his face was skinny; his jaw bone defined. He had deep green eyes, which matched the tight shirt he was wearing at the moment and his dark jeans showed off his muscular legs. I never really realized how attractive my kidnappers were. I quickly shoved that thought away as I remember the situation I was in.
I sneaked a glance at Sam, and for some reason I wish I hadn’t. I couldn’t take my eyes away from him. Sam was hot. His eyes were the darkest shade of blue, almost black. I have only seen them a couple times, but let me tell you I was hard for me to look away. His eyes always captured mine. Sam wasn’t short, but compared to the rest of his friends he was. I guess Loren, Nate, and Nick were just freakishly tall. Sam has lighter brown hair, a little bit darker that the normal caramel color and only a little bit longer than Nate’s. Sam’s hair almost matched his skin tone, but was still a shade darker. His arms were big and I could tell Sam worked out. Needless to say, if I were in a dark forest alone and Sam wasn’t the one kidnapping me, I would feel completely safe wrapped in his arms. That thought reminded me of how I felt when Sam had his arms wrapped around my waist earlier and butterflies invaded my body once again. I shoved that thought away as well.
Loren on the other hand, isn’t as tall as Nate but is still taller than Sam. He has a really dark shade of brown hair, almost black, which really stood out against his pale skin. I knew Loren was strong, but his body wasn’t as defined at the rest of the boys and I feel like Loren didn’t flaunt his abilities either. Loren seemed like the type of guy that liked to mask everything about him. His chiseled face was always stern and eyes brows furrowed, never relaxed. His thin lips always pursed, never showing emotion, unless, of course, you are as lucky as me to have him grinning evilly at you majority of the time.
“Are you done analyzing?” Sam’s voice brought me out of my thoughts. I then registered what he has said and blushed. I knew there was no way out of that one, so I just stayed silent.
I looked around for Loren, but he was nowhere to be found. Had we gotten lost? My chest constricted and I tried to pull away from Sam and Nate’s grip.
“Relax, we know where we are going,” Sam said as if he was reading my mind. I looked at him confused and wondered how he knew what I was thinking. Sam just smirked and winked at me, which made me all the more confused.
“So Kate, how do you like Brent?” Nate asked breaking the trance Sam had me under.
“Why do you care?” I snapped.
“Just answer the question,” Sam retorted.
“No, it’s not your business,” I said, trying to twist out of their grip on me.
“Loren was right. We are going to have fun with her,” Nate said to Sam.
“To bad Brent isn’t here to protect her,” Sam replied to Nate, but looking at me.
“I have a question for you,” I said.
“I’m not answering,” Nate said, being difficult.
“Is Loren the leader of this ‘group’ or whatever you call it?” I asked, ignoring Nate’s statement.
There was silence as I looked at Nate. I turned to look at Sam with pleading eyes.
Sam sighed, giving in. “Yeah, I think you could say that.” Sam paused. “We always listen to him, but sometimes we have to split up and do things our own way. Last week I had to do something so Nick and I went to work on that but Loren didn’t really tell us what to do. I guess it sorta depends on what the situation is.”
It was silent after that. I had no more questions for either of them. I was just hoping to make it back home before something bad happened. The forest was quiet, like always, which made this experience creepier than it needed to be.
“Can you please let go of me?” I asked, breaking the silence.
Nate’s grip on my arm tightened so I looked at Sam again, hoping I could change his mind. “Please,” I begged.
“As long as you don’t run,” Sam said.
“I won’t.” They eventually let go of me, but stayed really close. “But what if I did?” I asked, teasingly, but I was also curious.
Nate tensed up before answering. “You won’t. You don’t want to know what’ll happen.”
I wanted to keep prying, but Loren’s voice interrupted.
“Glad you guys caught up. Now, if you would please go inside and sit down...” I was glad that I could actually see Loren. His voice coming from nowhere, earlier, had really put me on edge. It was relieving to see his face even.
I looked over the building before I entered it. The house was small and it looked pretty nice from the outside, but knowing Loren, anything was possible.
I was really nervous and scared, walking into the one room house, but after taking in my surroundings, I could feel myself relax. The house had a warm homey feeling, that made me want to curl up on the couch next to the fireplace. Stepping into the house, straight ahead, there were actually two couches, parallel to each other with a coffee table in between, now that I viewed the room more thoroughly. There was also a table and a couple chairs farther back into the small room, past the couches. Off to the right there was a bigger table, like the one in my dining room, with four chairs around it. A mini fridge stood on the far right hand corner of the room sitting on a small counter. Lastly the fireplace which was on the wall to the far left next to the couches was burning brightly.
The small, one room building, almost felt like a cabin. Most of the structure was made of wood and there were blankets and pillows scattered around the room. I was in love with the small building and I suddenly wished I was here for a completely different reason. I felt completely at home here, but then I remember who I was with, and I wished I was at home in my own bed.
Just then the door opened and Loren walked in. Sam and Nate had already sat down in some chairs in the far back of the room. They were talking quietly to themselves as Loren sat down on the couch opposite me. Loren had one of his evil smiles plastered across his face and Sam and Nate had finally stopped whispering.
“Hi Catherine,” Loren said.
I just looked at him, ready to leave, or run away.
“What do you prefer I call you? Catherine, Kate, Katie, or Cat?”
The last name got to me. That was what Brent had called me and hearing that name made me want to be home even more. I just wanted Brent to hold me and tell me everything was going to be okay. I think I was really falling for Brent’s charms. I tensed up, ready to pounce, when I remembered what Loren wanted to call me and he must have noticed, because the evil smirk on his face grew wider. Why was I in this situation again?
“What will it be?” Loren asked again.
“Catherine,” I said quietly.
“Good. Now that we got that out of our way, we want to ask you some questions about yourself, your family, and Brent,” Loren said.
I didn’t even look at him. I was looking down at my hands. They were intertwined together and turning different colors. I hadn’t realized that I was taking my anger out on my hands. I was squeezing them so hard. I relaxed my grip and looked up to see Loren staring at me.
“How many people are in your family?” Loren continued, knowing he had my attention. “We know that there is you and your sister, Margaret, and of course William and your dad.”
I didn’t respond. I didn’t want to be here. I didn’t ask for this to happen, so I wasn’t going to answer any questions. Why would I give these answers to strangers, whether or not they go to the same school as me?
“Catherine, answer the question,” Loren said.
“No, I don’t want to,” I replied. “There is no reason for you to know about my family. I don’t even understand why I am here. It’s not fair! You guys are a waste of space on this earth.”
“So that’s how this is going be. Well then, I guess I should start my telling you that your family is in danger right now. If you don’t answer the question then we will lock you up in here and you will never see your family or Brent again. So we will ask you one more time.” Loren paused.
“How many people are in your family?” Sam asked.
“Brent said that he was going to talk to you about the safety of my family!” I protested, ignoring Sam.
“I understand. But we don’t always do what we say. So please answer the question. Or I will call one of my friends. He is just outside your house, waiting for me to tell him to climb inside your window.” Loren took the phone out of his pocket.
“You’re threatening me!” I yelled, standing up.
“Yes we are. Please answer the question!” Loren’s voice was louder than mine and he had produced a knife. It reflected against the light in the room and I sat down, shrinking back into my seat. I hated knives. I had always had a fear of them, ever since I was little and now Loren knew that, which scared me. Loren seemed to notice my extreme fear and leaned in towards me, his hand holding the knife still.
“Catherine,” Loren said quietly.
“There are seven of us,” I replied, defeated and scared.
Loren leaned back against the couch, smiling. “Seven?” He asked innocently. “I thought there were only four. Okay, tell us some more.”
I hesitated, not wanting to tell him too much, but he flipped his knife open again, causing my heart to start beating rapidly. “I have two brothers, Oscar and Thomas. We are triplets. My mom is always inside, and she rarely has time to leave the house. That’s why you never see her.” I said, not wanting the knife to come any closer to me.
“Oh, ok. I understand now. Thank you for answering the question. Now, how did you meet up with Brent? Are you working for Evan?”
“I don’t want to answer that question,” I said, quietly, with a shaky breath.
Loren whispered something to Nate and Sam and they stood up from their chairs. I inched backwards more into the couch as they sat down on either side of me, grabbing my arms to hold me there. Sam was on my left and Nate on the right and I could barely move.
“Ok, now answer the question or else these two will pick you up and lock you in that room.” Loren pointed to a small door in the corner of the room across from where I was sitting.
The boys waited for me to answer the question, but I still refused. Loren nodded towards Nate and he temporarily let of my arm. I used this to my advantage and stood up, but Sam pulled me back down on his lap and secured his arms around me. Butterflies filled my stomach because of Sam’s touch, and I knew I was in trouble. I could not have feelings for my kidnapper.
I tried to wriggle free from Sam’s embrace, even though I was content with staying in that position, but then I looked at Nate. He had pulled a knife out from somewhere and was just playing with it in his hands. I froze and tried to move away from Nate, but Sam did just the opposite, placing me on the couch where I began, between the two of them. Nate grabbed my arm with his empty hand, and so did Sam. I held my breath as Nate’s other hand slowly crept back into view, this knife easily visible. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled my hands into fists, holding back a scream.
“Answer the question Catherine,” Sam whispered into my ear. He almost sounded sympathetic, but I pushed the thought away. He was just acting.
By now the knife was inches from my face. “Fine, fine. I’ll answer the question, please just put the knife away.” I said, my voice barely a whisper. I tear trickled down my face. “Please.”
Nate closed the knife and pulled it away so I couldn’t see it. I instantly felt myself relax and my breathing returned to normal. I slowly opened my eyes to see Loren smiling at me, again.
I scowled and then proceeded to tell Loren, Sam, and Nate everything about what had happened. When I was finally done Sam and Nate stood up, yanking me off the couch with them. They walked over to the door towards the front of the small building. Then Loren opened the door and we started to walk back to where I had left Brent.
**

Nick barely said anything to Brent as they walked from the clearing to a small shelter on the other side of the forest. The walk was short but it wasn’t awkward for the two boys. They used to be friends back in middle school, but recently Nick got tied up into the wrong group and Brent had joined the Spy Organization. The two just grew apart; it was that simple.
When they finally arrived Nick told Brent where to find Evan and then he sat down on the bench right outside the shelter. Brent didn’t hesitate. He opened the door and walked in. He went down one hallway and took a left. He came to the first door on the right and opened it.
Sure enough Evan was inside the bare room. The floor, ceiling, and walls were all made out of cement. The only thing that was in the cold room was a metal chair. Evan was tied to the chair with duct tape over his mouth.
When Evan saw Brent, his eyes widened. Brent went right over to him and ripped off the tape.
“Oww!” Evan yelled and Brent looked at him with a questioning expression. “And thank you.” Evan said, a little out of breath.
“What happened?” Brent asked while untying Evan’s wrists.
“Once I got down the ladder they captured me and brought me here. They asked me questions about what we were up to and then tired me up. They told me that they were going to go and get you and Catherine. Where is she? Is she okay?”
“She’s with them. They wouldn’t let me talk to you unless she went with them.”
“They’re probably going to ask her questions. She is going to tell the truth.”
“Yeah, she will, but it shouldn’t matter to them. I told her to be careful what to tell them when we were on our way over to meet them. What did you tell them?” Brent asked.
“I told them simple answers, some of them not completely true, but they shouldn’t notice the difference.” Evan said. “We just have to make sure that she doesn’t tell them the exact reason she was asked to work with us. You haven’t told her have you?”
“No, I haven’t. I never want to,” Brent said.
“Well you are going to have to sometime. Just make sure it’s the right time. Otherwise she might back out of the job, and that would be bad.”
“Yeah, I understand. I just wish it didn’t have to be this way.”
“Don’t tell me you are changing your mind about her.”
“No, I’m not,” Brent rushed out and changed the subject. “I am supposed to meet them back there pretty soon. I’ll come back later to get you.”
“Okay. Good luck, Brent and keep her safe. We need her,” Evan said.
“Yes, I know, Evan,” Brent said as he left the room.

**

By the time I got back to the clearing Brent looked like he had been waiting awhile. He was leaning against a tree, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes were closed. When he heard us approach his eyes snapped open, concern flashing across them.
“Brent,” I said. I was then slapped again by Loren.
“Don’t talk,” Loren warned. Brent stood up and started to walk over towards us. “If you take one more step, you will never touch her again.” Brent stopped walking. Nate and Sam were still holding onto my shoulders, and had no sign of letting go. “I assume that you were able to talk to Evan,” Loren asked Brent.
“Yes, I was. Thank you,” Brent replied.
“Good, well Catherine was a…good girl for us.” Loren paused, obviously knowing I was not a good girl at all. “So you can have her back, for now. We might want to talk to her later, but that is out of your control.”
“Can I have her back then?” Brent asked.
“Yes, here you go,” Loren said. I was then pushed really hard and I almost fell flat on my face, but Brent caught me as if I was as light as a feather. He pulled me into him and I wrapped my arms around his torso. I could finally relax fully. I already felt a ton better.
“Can’t wait to see you again Catherine,” Nick said and laughed quietly. He just entered the clearing. There had to be more meaning to that.
“You will never be seeing her again,” Brent replied for me, glaring at Nick.
“Don’t be so sure, Brent,” Nick replied and started to walk away with Loren. They laughed quietly. Nate followed Loren and Sam stayed behind.
“I’ll walk you back to your house Catherine,” Sam said. “We wouldn’t want you getting lost.”
“Thanks, but I think I can handle it,” Brent replied, taking a step towards Sam, pushing me behind him protectively.
“I’ll make you a deal. I’ll walk her home and you can go and get Evan from his room and bring him home as well.” Sam said, touching my arm.
“How do I know that she’ll be home safely?”
“I’ll let her call you when she gets there. Or William could call. Trust me. Nick wants me to keep her very safe. I won’t let anything happen to her.” Brent looked over at Sam one more time.
“Fine, but if she isn’t safe I am going to call the police. You got that?”
“Yeah, I understand. Now let go of her so I can lead her to safety.” Sam was smiling.
Brent slowly let go of me and Sam grabbed my hand, yanking me towards him as he put his arm around my shoulder. I looked back at Brent, but he looked really sad. I smiled at him and he forced a smile back. Then I turned around and let Sam walk me back towards my house, while Brent turned the other way and walked back deeper into the forest.