Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day finally arrived. I still had no clue what to get Hunter so I guess that I was going with my back up plan. I grabbed my Valentine’s card for Hunter and placed it in an envelope. I was heading over to Hunter’s to give it to him.

“Hey, Hunter.” I said as I walked through the door seeing him sitting on the couch.

“Great! You’re here, now I can give you my present.” Hunter walked up to me and pulled me up the stairs to his room. As soon as we were in his room his lips were brought down to mine. I smiled and started kissing him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. I got so caught up in the moment that I must have let the card drop from my hand because once our little moment was over my hands were empty. I looked around the floor for the card and couldn’t find it.

“What are you looking for?” Hunter asked me when he noticed I was looking around the floor.

“Nothing,” I said choosing to ignore my lame lost gift. “So was that my only present or do I get more.”

“I don’t know. Do you think you can handle more?" Hunter said as we both took a seat on his bed.

“I think I can.”

“Alright.” Hunter started kissing me again trailing kisses down my neck.

“I didn’t mean more kisses. You know.” I said as I lightly pushed him away.

Hunter pouted, “What you don’t like my kisses?”

I thought about it for a moment. “I don’t know… they aren’t the best,” I said teasingly.

Hunter faked shock, “Well I’m shocked. I was sure I was the best. I know I’m the best. There must be something wrong with you to not like my kisses.”

“There’s nothing wrong with me. You just think too much of yourself and your kisses.”

“Oh yeah.”

“Yeah.”

“Oh yeah.”

“Yeah.”

Then of course to just to prove me wrong Hunter’s lips embraced mine in a passionate hold that left me breathless.

“Oh yeah,” Hunter whispered against my lips. But I’m too overwhelmed to say anything back. Hunter just smiled at my reaction.

“Well I think that settles that. My kisses are by far the best,” Hunter proclaimed.

“Yeah, sure they are,” I said a bit sarcastically.

“I’m going to ignore that little comment and give you your next present.” He reached into his nightstand drawer and pulled out my present. When he handed it to me and I got a good look at it, I was a bit disappointed. It looked like a box of chocolates. Hunter should know me enough by now to know that I hate chocolate right? I thought we were best friends, he had to know I didn’t like chocolate. So why would he give me this? I didn’t want to hurt Hunter feelings by telling him I didn’t really like it because I would be heartbroken if he said that to me.

I’m still pondering on whether to open it and see if it really is chocolate when a smirk grows on Hunter’s face, which of course means he’s up to no good.

“Just open it already.” He said impatiently with the smirk still showing. So I decide to open it unsure of what I’m in store for.

When I see what’s inside I scream, “Oh my gosh. Where did you get this? Oh my.. You little.” How did he get this?

“And you thought it was chocolate. Don’t you think I know you better than that? You’ve been my best friend for forever. What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn’t know you hated chocolate?”

“That’s what I was thinking but…” I was at a lost for words. “How… why… where…”

“Don’t you remember that day?” he said referring to the photograph that was placed inside the empty box of chocolates.

“Yeah it was the most embarrassing day of my life.”

“Are you kidding me? Remember all the fun we had when we went to the community pool and you jumped off the high dive for the first time.”

“Well that was great but what happened after that wasn’t.” He seriously couldn’t have forgotten that part of the story.

“Oh yeah. Why don’t you tell me what happened after that.” You could tell by his smirk that he knew exactly what happened after that.

“You know. I don’t have to tell you. It was so humiliating,” I whined.

“Okay. But before your top fell off from jumping off the board. Wasn’t it fun and exciting? Aren’t you glad I got you to jump?” he asked smirking.

“Yeah it was great and I’m glad you helped me conquer my fear of the high dive but losing my top was the worst. I’ll never jump off it again wearing a bikini. I can never wear a bikini again.”

“It wasn’t so bad. Nobody else knew that you lost your top. Just you and me, our little secret,” he said as he nuzzled into my neck.

“So you decided to remind me on that humiliating day for Valentine’s day?”

“No, I reminded you of that day that I helped you face your fear. It was something that was just between us, to remind you that we know everything about one another and I’m always there for you whenever you need me.” He ended his little spiel with a peck on my lips. I knew Hunter was always there for me and now I knew he always would be.

I placed the photo of us at that day in the pool on his nightstand and looked under the bed for my card to give to Hunter. Hunter hadn’t spent a dime on me so I didn’t feel too bad about the present I was about to give him.

“Do you want your present now?” I asked holding the envelope behind my back

“Of course.” He grinned holding out his hands.

“Okay,” I pulled the envelope from behind my back ready to give it to him. “But first just know that it’s not the best and it’s kind of… lame.”

Hunter gave me a questioning look, “I’m sure it’s not totally lame.”
I sat down beside him as he opened up the envelope. He smiled when he saw the cut out heart. I wanted to run out of the room as he read it, embarrassed that I had written down my feelings for him.

“Isn’t this sweet? Jessica have you read this. Because I can’t believe that you wrote this,” Hunter said once he had finished.

“I told you it was lame. I can’t believe I wrote it,” I said looking down ashamed.

“Hey,” Hunter lifted my chin up so I was looking at him. “I didn’t say it was lame. I like it and feel the same. Thank you.” He gave me a light kiss on the lips before he pulled away. I smiled glad that he liked it.

“But…” Hunter said with a teasing voice, “this part could be revised a bit. Like instead of saying how you like my eyes and my hair and my personality you could say how you think my eyes are the most beautiful mesmerizing ones you’ve ever seen and that my hair is the shiniest, softest hair that you just want to run through your fingers. And my personality you could say how totally awesome I am. How I’m so cool and hot and have to be the funniest guy around. And how you just love it when I tease you.”

“Maybe I didn’t say those things because I don’t think any of them are true. I mean I said I like your eyes, hair, and personality because I do but I don’t think that your eyes are mesmerizing or you hair is soft, and I defiantly don’t think that you are the awesomest, coolest, hottest, or funniest guy around.” I said teasingly, “And I hate it when you tease me.”

“You do not.”

“Do too.”

“Do not!”

“Do too!”

“Of course you don’t because we’re doing it right now and you just keep going because you enjoy it. Face it you love it when I tease you.”

“Yeah,” I admitted, “but you love it when I tease you.”

“That I do.”

I stayed at Hunter’s the rest of the day and we reminisced about old times. It was one of the best Valentine’s days I’ve ever had.

Monday during lunch Susie told me all about her Valentine’s day with Cody and I told her all about mine with Hunter. Well not all of my day with Hunter, I left out the embarrassing photo part. Susie was so happy; she was practically beaming at everyone the whole day. The smile on her face was so genuine. I don’t think I’d ever seen her so happy before and it made me happy that her and Cody were so great and happy together.