Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Senior Year (Epilogue)

It was amazing that we had all survived high school. It was even more surprising that we had all stayed together through it all, even if Cody and Susie had broken up a total of ten times in the span of our four years at high school. Graduation was looming on us only a few more weeks.

I was excited and at the same time dreading it. I’d be going off to college and everything was going to change. Hunter and I were going to different colleges at least three hours away from each other. We hadn’t talked about it much. We’d avoided mentioning it but I knew we had to talk about it.

Before I knew it, graduation was here. Everyone from our class was dressed in our graduation gowns and caps.

“I can’t believe that we’re graduating,” Susi gushed excitedly.

“I know it feels like yesterday that we were in my room talking about what high school was going to be like.” Time had flew by so fast.

“Yeah when you weren’t interested in guys and just wanted to get through high school. Then you went and fell for Hunter.”

I shrugged. “What can I say I love the idiot?”

Hunter and Cody came walking up to us. “Did you just call me an idiot or are you in love with someone else?” He leant down to kiss me.

“You’re the idiot.” I smiled.

“Good,” he replied.

Cody had his arm around Susie. “Just a few more minutes guys.” He said looking at his phone.

“Then we have to sit as they call everyone’s name. It’s going to take forever,” Hunter whined.

“Hopefully it’s quick so we have all day to party,” Susie said. Everyone agreed. After graduation, there was a party held by one of the students and we’d all decided to go.

The teachers told us all to line up and the four of us went our separate ways.

It was extremely boring to listen to all the names being called but I couldn’t stop the smile on my face as my friends all got their diplomas. When it was all done, everyone was ecstatic. We all filed out and I quickly found Hunter who wrapped me up in a hug.

“We did it!” He exclaimed kissing me passionately.

“Let’s find Cody and Susie and get out of here.” Once we found Cody and Susie we got out of the crowd and were assaulted by our parents. It was a bit awkward because I was congratulated by my mom and then my dad was ushering me over to congratulate me as well. Fortunately I didn’t have to choose who to go celebrate with because we all had the party to go to.

I hopped into Hunter’s car as Susie went with Cody. We went back to the house to change into more comfortable clothes and then headed off to the party.

I’d never been to any real parties during high school but I’d made an exception since this might be the last time I would see any of these people again.

We were all having a good time. As the night progressed Cody and Susie went off by themselves.
Leaving Hunter and I alone. The elephant in the room was suffocating us and it just had to be dealt with now.

“So…” Hunter started.

“So?” I questioned. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“We’re going to be off to college soon…”

I nodded. “Three hours away. What are we going to do?”

“I think we should break up.” The words hung in the air between us and I wanted to cry. I knew long distance would be hard and we were young. We had so many new people to meet and new adventures ahead of us. But I didn’t want to lose my best friend.

I nodded. “It’s probably for the best.” I tried to stay strong but I couldn’t. I flung myself into his arms and he held me tightly. “I’ll miss you.” I warbled. He sniffed and I knew he was crying.

“I’ll miss you too. I love you.”

“I love you.” I pulled him in for a hungry kiss. “We still have the summer though?”

He nodded. “We have all summer. Hopefully I can get you into a bikini,” he joked trying to lighten the mood.

It worked. I laughed. “Yeah, you can try.” We pulled ourselves together when Cody and Susie found us once again. Susie was jumping in excitement as she thrust her hand into my face. I looked at her confused before I noticed the ring on her finger.

“Cody and I are getting married!” she exclaimed. I forced a smile on my face.

“That’s awesome!” I exclaimed back as we hugged each other. I wanted to laugh it was so ironic.
Cody and Susie had broken up numerous times throughout high school and yet here they were engaged. While me and Hunter had been solid for four years and we were breaking up.

“Congrats, man.” Hunter said as they hugged and clapped each other on the back. The party came to a close and Hunter drove me back home. I didn’t want to say bye. Even though I knew we had the summer it wouldn’t be the same.
--

Hunter called Cody up on the phone. “Can you come get me?” he asked his friend.

“Are you drunk? Where are you?” Cody asked. Hunter had always been straight edge so he was surprised by the call.

“I’m at Mitch’s bar.”

“How did you even get any alcohol?”

“I have my ways.” Hunter chuckled. “Can you just come get me?” he asked getting angry.

“Yeah. I’ll be there soon.” Cody turned to Susie. “I have to go. Hunter’s drunk and needs a ride home.”

“What?” Susie asked incredulous. “Hunter? Drunk?”

Cody nodded sadly.

“What the fuck happened? I’m gonna go see Jess.” They both went their separate ways to get to the bottom of this great mystery.

“Cody!” Hunter greeted happily.

“Hey, Hunter. What the fuck are you doing here getting drunk?”

Hunter shook his head. “Jessica and I broke up.”

“What? Why?”

“We’re going to different schools. So far away. It’s better this way.” He nodded to himself. “Yeah it’s better. We couldn’t do the long distance thing. It wouldn’t have worked out. Goddamn it. I miss her already Cody and she’s still fucking next door. I fucking love her but I told her we should break up.
What the fuck was I thinking? Why can’t we do long distance? We love each other right? So it would work right? Dammit.” Hunter slapped his hand on the bar.

“It’s a rough decision man. You do what you think is best. If you want to try long distance go for it. If you want to break up that’s okay too.”

Hunter shook his head. “I can’t do this. It’s all so fucked up.”

“Let’s get you home then. You have the whole summer to think about it.” Cody helped him up and to the car.
--

“Why is Hunter drunk at a bar?” Susie asked as she had pulled me into my room.

“What? Hunter’s drunk?”

Susie nodded. The tears that I had just gotten under control were going to fall again. “Now tell me why?”

“Maybe because we…broke up.” I told her reluctantly.

“What? When?” She yelled.

“At the party before you and Cody got engaged.”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“You were so happy. You and Cody are getting married. I didn’t want to bring you down with my news.”

“I’m your friend, Jessica. I’m always here for you.”

“I know. I just can’t believe it.”

“Why did you guys break up?” she asked.

“Because of college. We can’t do the long distance thing and it’s probably just better if we start fresh? No I don’t know. It’s just what’s best.” It didn’t feel like what was best though.
--

The summer dragged on and before long they were all off onto their own separate journeys. Cody and Susie engaged going off to school together. Hunter going to another college and me to a different one. We broke up decided not to do long distance. I remember trying to memorize his face as we were both packing up to head off to college. As if it wasn’t already engraved in my mind from the lifetime together. This was the end of living next door to one another really. It was the end of so much. A start to something new but I didn’t think about that. All I could think about was how much
I was going to miss this life. How much I was going to miss Hunter.

We held each other tightly as we embraced for the last time. “I’m going to miss you,” I whispered into his neck. My eyes filling with tears. He squeezed me tight.

“I’m gonna miss you.” He told me back his voice quiet. I didn’t want to pull away. Both of us were reluctant to let go of the other. He pulled away slightly as he leant down and placed a bittersweet parting kiss to my lips.

“I love you.” My heart clenched at the words. Our eyes focused on each other and the rest of the world faded away for just a moment.

“I love you,” I responded back trying to keep my tears at bay. With one last quick hug, we separated and got into our separate cars and started driving away from our home.

I cried as I drove trying to hold it back. About halfway there I told myself to stop. I forced myself. It was a new start. I had to try and be happy. I couldn’t arrive at college bawling my eyes out over Hunter. I was determined to make these four years as good as my last.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End. So that's the end of Best Friends...Forever. I'm in the process of writing the sequel now.