Status: As Active as I can be.

War of the Gods

ένα

I walk to the beach in the midmorning. There are a few people sitting along the beach drinking in the sun. I sit down and begin to relax. It’s nice to soak up the sun. I take a short nap, but when I wake up, I realize I was asleep for an hour. Thankfully, I don’t have a burn. I guess that’s the beauty of already having naturally tan skin.

I get up and make my way back to my apartment. I can only hope that I make it there before Alexandros does. He won’t be mad, but I know he likes to eat as soon as he gets home from work. He will actually be glad that I went out today. I have an hour to cook something which should be plenty of time.

My emotions for him aren’t exactly love. I care about him, but not like a fiancée should. I don’t really know how to describe it. It’s like I want to be happy with him, but yet, I’m not. I feel guilty about it, but I can’t help it. I have really tried to love him like I should. I told him ‘yes’ when he asked me to marry him. I cook for him every day, and I tell him that I love him even though it’s bit of a lie. It doesn’t feel like it’s enough though. I just hope that this is just something natural that happens to everyone. Of course, I may just be overthinking this whole situation.

I go to the kitchen to plan for lunch. I look at the cupboards for a second before finally throwing something together quickly. It’s nothing special. It’s just horta vrasta. This is something that I know Alex will like a lot. I mean he constantly asks me to make this at least once or twice a week depending on his mood.

“Eutropia, I’m home,” my fiancé calls from the front door. I hear him shut the door and start making his way into the apartment.

“In here,” I answer setting the table. I look over to the opening to see him walking up to me with a loving smile on his face. “How was your day, dear?”

“It was nice,” he replies as he leans in to give me a quick kiss. “Iason has been letting up some for the moment at least, so I’m not as stressed as I have been. And you? How was the beach?”

“It was nice. I got bit of a tan. I wish you would tell me what’s going on,” I mutter to myself.

Alex works with Iason on some job that I know nothing about. Alex has been very adamant about not letting me know what’s going on. It has been bothering me so much that I have been hoping that I would have some sort of clue after two years of dating him. I still have no idea about what’s going on.

He is very clever about not letting me in on what’s going on. He keeps his office locked when he isn’t here. There is a code on the door making it near impossible for me to know what’s in there. I have to learn the four numbers which I can never understand.

“It’s not safe for you to know.” He gives me the same answer that he always gives me. I know those seven words by heart now. I hear those words in his voice thousands of times in my head.

I stare at him and roll my eyes. How can it not be safe for me? I could always pray to the gods for protection. Of course, if he found out that I still prayed to the gods, he would have a fit making me think that he hates them. I can’t help that I find peace praying to my gods. I feel more love from them than him. Although I don’t bring that up, I know what he will say.

“Food smells wonderful,” he whispers in my ear changing the subject. “You must’ve outdone yourself.”

I roll my eyes and bring the food to the table. I’m rewarded by his bright smile. His brown hair is styled perfectly showing his face to everyone. He isn’t afraid to show off his looks to the world. I have yet to see a girl who isn’t affected by that smile and melt by his laugh. It bothers me a bit that it does. I’m always scared that he is cheating on me even though everyone tells me he isn’t.

We eat without any more conversation which is fine by me. I’m actually hoping that tomorrow will be another bright day giving me another chance to tan, and Alex is probably thinking about work. Once he is done eating, he puts his plate in the sink and heads to his office at the end of the hall. I have no idea as to what he is doing. I want to know, but I know that I should just leave it be.

I hear the phone ring. It stops as soon as it started. It must be Iason. I get up disappointed. I don’t know what else I was expecting, but I want more time with him. He always hides in that office of his never allowing me in there without permission. He has everything important locked tightly in a safe. I’m sure the combination is something that I could never think of in a million years, and it doesn’t help with the code on the door. He knows what I wouldn’t think about telling me how well he knows me or seems to anyways.

I get up and clean up the kitchen. I think about going to the temple to pray this afternoon while Alex goes back to work. I know that I won’t run into anyone that will tell on me or look down on me. I think about what I should pray for and to whom.

That’s something my mother has always taught me. You have to know who to pray to and what you should pray for. She says that not knowing what you need is a little foolish. It shows more when you know that you just need some help to what than not knowing. I have always accepted this as truth, and I’m happy for it.

Image

I walk down the sidewalk trying to stay out of everyone’s way. I can’t decide if this afternoon is going to be a good one yet or not. I enjoyed going out to the beach. The sun still shines brightly in the sky guaranteeing the rest of the day is going to be nice and sunny. I have decided to run to the temple for some assurance and some answers.

“Eutropia, wait up,” Isadora calls out behind me. My hope for a good day starts to dwindle to nothing at hearing her voice.

I turn to look at the short brunette. Her make-up draws my attention to her bright blue eyes just like she wants everyone to. She is the rich girl that lived around the corner from my house growing up. My parents have constantly forced me to be friends with her. I always dread spending time with her. She always seems to have the perfect tan and the perfect life when I’m sure it isn’t. I’m sure she has some issues with some of the people she knows. I’m sure she argues with Iason, her boyfriend.

“It’s such a surprise to run into you,” she says quickly. She gives me a friendly smile. “I would like to talk to you about this weekend.”

“Okay,” I groan. I don’t really want to talk about the weekend especially with her. She has been planning the engagement party for Alexandros and me. I don’t want to admit that I’m scared to know what she would do at any party. I bet it will involve booze at some level. In fact, I imagine would involve large amounts of alcohol.

I really want to go to the temple, but she has already stopped me here on the street delaying me. I have to confess that I’m thinking about just leaving her here, but I would have to listen to her complain the moment I see her again. I just don’t have it in me to deal with it at the moment.

The sun is shining brightly over the Greek town as I stand next to Isadora talking about plans for a party that I’m not all that excited about. This is the party where we are telling everyone about the engagement. I still think that it is too soon to tell everyone about it, but then again I just want to delay this. I’m still not sure about this. Why did I say ‘yes’ to him again?

“I was thinking champagne and some good wine,” Isadora calls me out of my thoughts. “What do you think? Which one would you want?”

“Oh, it doesn’t matter to me, so you might as well choose which one to get. I’m not big on alcohol. I would just like to have water. You know this,” I reply. I throw my brown hair over my shoulder. I look over to see people walking around us. I guess I should have moved over to the side when Isadora noticed me. I wouldn’t be catching the glares of the people passing by.

She shakes her head. Her hair ripples softly with her movements. “Eutropia, when are you going to get some taste for the good stuff instead of just plain water? Sure, it’s good for you, but you need some flavor in your life.”

“I don’t know, Isadora. I don’t like to go out and party every weekend like you do. I have seen what alcohol can do, and it’s not that attractive to me,” I growl at her. I try to calm myself. This is the only friend that I can seem to be able to keep, so I shouldn’t try to ruin it, right? Then I would only be left with the comfort of Alexandros.

I honestly couldn’t believe that she is bringing this topic up again. I mean this is something that we always argue about. Not only that, she knows why. My uncle has died in a drunk driving accident. He was the drunk driver. His son was in the car with him who died on impact. It’s not something that I want to see myself doing or seeing my friends and family doing. I can’t control them, so I’ll control myself and say ‘no’ to alcoholic drinks.

“You know Alexandros will be drinking it too. You also know that he won’t drink too much because he knows that you don’t like it. It’s about how much you drink. You’ll be fine,” she persuades. She gives me a look trying to get me to give in to her.

“I don’t care, Isadora. I’m not going to drink it. So just change the subject.” I glare at her. I can feel my anger rise once more before I try to push it down again. She looks like she is about to say something unless, but I stop her. “Just leave this subject alone. You’re not going to persuade me any different, so just stop.”

She sighs when she realizes that I’m not going to give in. “Whatever. I’m going to get some more supplies and other items. I’ll get you some water for the party,” she says defeated. She crosses the street heading into one of the stores.

Image

I walk into Zeus’s temple with a white rose in my hand. There were a couple of girls walking around the temple. I give them a friendly smile as I make my way into the large temple. It is a tall building with columns on every side with openings to the outside world. I look up at the marble statue.

I kneel down in front of it. I think of what I’m asking before beginning with my prayer. “Zeus, I came here in need of answers and assurance. Alexandros never tells me anything thing. I just need to know if I should worry about this, or am I just being paranoid? Please give me something to know that I am making the right choice in marrying him,” I whisper.

I sit back on my heels as I look back up at the monument of Zeus. His left holds the lightning bolt while his right hand is outstretched as he aims. He has a long beard with long hair. I stand up and place the rose and the foot of the statue. I turn to leave when someone clears their throat to my side.

“I would have gone to Hera’s temple to ask about marrying the right man,” a brunette man says. He looks barely older than me, but his voice gives a hint of age to it. He has his hair styled like he just got out of bed. He has a bit of scruff but not enough to overpower his face. His arms are covered with tattoos. I can’t tell what they are off, but they have aged at least a year. They aren’t bright like a new tattoo, but they aren’t completely faded.

“And you are?” I ask staring at him. I actually can’t believe that he has the audacity to tell me who I should pray to. I honestly think that it is none of his business

“I’m Ares, god of war,” he answers. He gives me a look of disbelief. It’s like he expects me to know this just at just seeing him once.

“Yeah, and I’m the daughter of a god,” I reply back sarcastically rolling my eyes.

“Did your mother tell you?” He gives me a questioning look. “I didn’t think she would.”

I shake my head and walk on. He must have escaped an asylum. He can’t be the god of war. It’s impossible. He has to be insane to think he is. Even if he was why would he appear to me? I don’t even remember the last time I went to his temple. I don’t really agree with war, so why would I pray to him? It would be useless to ask him to end war.

“You don’t believe me?” the man says appearing next to me in a split second.

“Why would I believe a stranger who claims to be Ares?” I ask him stopping in my tracks. I don’t let his little magical stunt bother me. I just want him to leave me alone, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen anytime soon.

“I’m not a stranger. I’m your father, Eutropia,” he says reaching out to me.

When his hand touches my elbow, I’m taken to a war. I don’t know which war, but it’s brutal. Blood covers the ground and flows easily out of the dying bodies. There are people running all around me charging at one another. The smell of sweat, fire, and blood permeates in the air making me want to puke. It’s disgusting. People are throwing arrows and engaging in a sword fight.

“You are not my father. You may be the god of war, but you are most definitely not related to me. My father is Acacius,” I yell at him tossing his arm away from me. I storm out of the temple as fast as I can.

“Pray to me when you want answers,” he calls out to me.

I’m more than pissed. He can’t be my father. There is no way that is possible. Wouldn’t my mother tell me who my real father is? Maybe she was ashamed of herself because she wasn’t married to him. Or maybe she didn’t want me to know because I would think of her differently. What am I doing? Am I actually believing that he is my dad?

Image

I sit inside for the rest of the day. I have had enough excitement for the day. I sit in the living room reading a book trying to get the thoughts of Ares being my dad out of my head. It just seems outrageous to think that Acacius isn’t my dad.

I had a nice childhood. The only think I didn’t like was that my parents made me befriend Isadora. I never saw her as someone that I could be around. She was annoying with a mousy voice which it’s still like that. My dad told me that I needed to have friends my age. I disagreed with him, but I still ended up in the same room as her forced to share our toys.

My mom, Agathe, was always soft spoken. I never understood that. Acacius never beat her. He was always kind to her as he was to me. She has the idea that women stay home and take care of the children stuck in her head. She had three children who moved to different parts of the world.

My older brother Anicetus live is Berlin, Germany working as a photographer. He moved out of the house at eighteen and went to college for photography. He works for a fashion magazine which he tells me he enjoys. He married at the age of twenty-three, four months ago. The girl he married is a short blonde German girl named Berntrud. As far as I know, they are still happy with each other.

My younger sister, Eudokia, is three years younger than me making her fifteen. She lives with our parents in Athens still. She is a tall brunette wanting to be a model. She has had at least ten more boyfriends than me which happens to be kind of sad. She is a smart person whom spends a lot of her time in the library doing homework.

I have always been the odd one in the family. I had the brown eyes whereas they had green eyes. The only thing we had in common was the brown hair. I have a shade or two tanner skin than theirs. I’m going to college for business while they are the more artistic. They looked like Acacius, and everyone wondered who I belonged to. My mom would just say that I took more after her than him.

Of course, now that I think about it. She was covering up her tracks. She didn’t want me to think that Acacius wasn’t my father. Now I want to know if what Ares said was true or not? There is no way that I can deny that he isn’t Ares after seeing that vision from touching him.

The phone rings pulling me out of my thoughts. I get up and cross the room to pick up the phone. “Hello,” I say into the receiver.

“Hey, babe. I’m going to stop on the way home to get some food,” Alex replies quickly. I can hear him moving around on the other side of the phone, but I can’t tell what he is doing.

“Um, okay.” I look at myself in the mirror. “I could cook if you wanted me to.”

“No, it’s okay, Eutropia. It’s on my way home. Don’t worry. I want to do this,” he says.

“Okay,” I sigh. I can only hope that it won’t be bad or greasy. “I’ll be waiting for you patiently.”

“Yeah, I miss you. I may be able to get off early if things go as planned,” he tells me. “Don’t cook.”

“I won’t,” I assure him before he hangs up on the phone. I set the phone back down on the table and turn to my book. I completely lost my spot when my thoughts ran off track. I want to know the truth, and there is only one way to do that. I’m going to have to talk to my mom, and I’m going to have to corner her into it.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title is in Greek. It's the word for one. Thanks for the help with the Greek parts, XXXataktoulaXXX.