Status: moved here from quizilla.

Bella

thirty-four: acel

Two forty-seven in the afternoon was the worst time possible for my cell phone to ring. I was taking orders, trying my hardest to ignore the vibrating sensation in my back pocket. “Your order should be ready in less than ten minutes,” I told the customers, who walked away curtly, with their full heads of blonde hair and all.

It was two fifty and I was finally on break. I disappeared into the back of the restaurant and retrieved my phone from my pocket. One missed call from Bella. With a sigh, I called her back and held the phone to my ear. She answered within two rings. “Good afternoon, Acel. Are you busy?”

“Somewhat,” I said, and it wasn’t like it was a lie. “What did you call for?”

She didn’t reply right away. In fact, she used up almost half a minute. “Stacy’s parents called me today. They invited me to her funeral. I—I wanted to know if you could come with me.”

I furrowed my brow. “Don’t you have a boyfriend that you can ask? Now that I think about it, why didn’t you ask Jasper?”

“I have my reasons. Either you’ll go with me or you won’t. It’s exactly a week from today.” When I didn’t answer, she said, “Please, Acel. I’m not going to try anything, I swear. I just—we can go as just friends. I won’t ask for anything more.”

“I’ll go with you, but don’t try anything. I have to get back to work now.”

“Okay, I love you.”

“If you say so,” I mumbled. I hung up and slipped the phone back into my pocket, returning to my job.

The day continued on as it would any other day; at the end of my shift I signed out, I drove myself home in my cigarette-smelling car, showered, and sat myself in front of the television to watch whatever was on. The day continued on being Bella free and, despite how much I missed her and the sound of her voice, I quite enjoyed it.

When I went to bed that night, it was lonelier than usual. It felt cooler and my bed felt larger. I told myself that it was because I had a long day, with work and all. Sighing, I turned the lamp off, rolled over, and went to sleep.