Status: One and Done

Gives You Hell

One/One

~*~*~

When you see my face
Hope it gives you hell
Hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way
Hope it gives you hell
Hope it gives you hell


Mackenzie Cutler followed her best friend Jessica into the backyard of Jessica's family home. For as long as either could remember, the pair, known around the neighborhood and to their family and friends as Mack and Jess, had been best friends. They had grown up next door to each other, Mack born two days before the other girl. Jessica had two sisters and a brother, while Mackenzie was an only child. Growing up with the Kane's however meant she never felt like an only child, being included in family gatherings and being treated by Patrick exactly as he did his real sisters.

Mack had always been shy, kind of nerdy, growing up. Now freshly graduated from college and enjoying one last summer of freedom, she had made the stereotypical ugly duckling to beautiful swan transformation every girl dreamed of. Her body had filled out in all the right places, her brown hair glossy and falling effortlessly just past her shoulders.

She had spent the last few years away from Buffalo in the summer, choosing to intern the summers of her freshman and sophomore years, and then living abroad for a French studies program the summer of her junior year. She hadn't seen Jessie's brother since they had graduated high school and Mack was perfectly happy with that.

If she could have, she would've went another summer without having to see Patrick Kane. She hated Pat. He had made her life miserable growing up, with his constant teasing and practical jokes that she always seemed to be the center of. After winning his second Stanley Cup though, there was no way to avoid her appearance at the barbecue the Kane family was throwing in his honor.

"Jess!" Pat bellowed when he spotted his sister from across the yard. He charged toward her and picked her up in a bear hug. "Where have you been? You're late."

She rolled her eyes. "I was picking Mack up at the airport. Mom knew."

Patrick's eyes cut to the brunette beside his sister. "Mack?" He asked in disbelief. This couldn't possibly be his sisters best friend. That girl was gangly with stringy hair and glasses. This girl had a perfect blowout and her big green eyes were wide and lined just so, her lids dusted with some neutral color that blended perfectly into her made up face.

Mack would be the first to admit that she had spent great care getting ready for this moment. She knew she wasn't the girl Pat had last seen and she craved this exact reaction. Her lips curled into a smirk. "It's good to see you too, Patty Cake."

Patrick scowled. "No one calls me that anymore, not even my sisters."

Mack shrugged. "I do." She grabbed Jessica's hand and tugged her forward. "I see your mom; let's go say hi to her."

Patrick watched his sister and her best friend walk away and he felt the familiar tightening in the front of his shorts as he watched Mack's hips swish side to side. "Damn," he thought. That was definitely not the same girl he had grown up with.

Pat found himself moving from one person to the next all afternoon, everyone wishing him congratulations on his second Stanley Cup. As the day drew later, people began leaving and soon only his immediate family and a couple of his closest friends remained. He saw Mackenzie hugging his mom and then Jessica as she headed towards the house. Patrick excused himself and followed her out to the front of the house.

"Mack!" He called out, chasing behind her. "Wait up!"

She turned at his voice and slowed her steps. "What's up Patty Cake?"

He scowled again at the old nickname and Mackenzie let out an internal victory whoop at the sight of it. He recovered quickly and his face morphed into a sly smile. "You never wished me congratulations on winning the cup," he told her.

"I didn't? Huh. Well, could you tell Bickell and Bolland next time you talk to them I said congrats? Talk about the best seventeen seconds of ones life," she mused. "Unless of course you are a Bruins fan. Not me though. Red Wings."

Pat's eyes bugged open. "The Red Wings?! Are you shitting me?"

Mack shrugged. "I was forty five minutes from Detroit going to University of Michigan. I got swept up in the Hockey town fever, Patty Cake. I still love the Sabres though if you were worried."

"What about the Blackhawks though?"

"Oh no," she shook her head, a gleam in her eye that went unnoticed by Patrick. "We hate the Blackhawks in Detroit. Pretentious snobs," she sniffed.

"But I'm a Blackhawk! You don't support my team?" His face fell into a frown and he turned his puppy dog eyes at her. Mackenzie laughed in his face.

"Patty Cake, you hate me. You teased me mercilessly growing up. We're not close. Why in the world would I be a fan of your team, let alone you?" She turned on her heel, laughing as she walked away from him, leaving Pat to watch her go, his jaw hanging open.

~*~*~

Tomorrow you'll be thinking to yourself
Where'd it all go wrong?
But the list goes on and on


June sped by and July turned into August, and Pat’s day with the cup neared. As a close family friend, Mack had been invited to the festivities by Pat's mom and dad but had declined the invitation. She was surprised on the day before the party to answer her parents front door to find Pat in her doorstep.

He fidgeted nervously and wiped his sweaty palms on the front of his shorts. He didn't know or even understand why Mack made him nervous. He had tried to talk to Sharpy about it but he had laughed at him as Pat got his story out. He imagined that he was probably rolling in the floor laughing about it when his wife, Abby, had come on the line. She was the one who had advised him to invite Mackenzie personally.

"Hey, Mack."

"Patty Cake." She stood, filling the doorway, not inviting him inside.

He cringed. She had been calling him by that dumb nickname all summer. He hated when the guys in Chicago used it, when his sisters used it to tease him, when Mack used it to tease him.

Mack knew he hated it, which was exactly why she kept calling him that. She was taking great pleasure in busting on Pat. For years he had teased her and now finally she was able to return the favor. She was much enjoying the turn of the tables.

"My mom said you're not coming to my cup party," Pat stated.

She shook her head. "That is correct."

"Why not? Is this because you've lost your mind and pledged allegiance to the Red Wings?"

"No, Pat, this is not because I cheer for the Red Wings," she sighed. "We're not friends and we're not family. Why would I spend my day with you?"

"Why wouldn't you?" He countered. "And what do you mean we're not friends? Of course we're friends. We grew up together."

"I grew up with Jess while you played hockey. And you must certainly were not my friend. You were mean to me and teased me and were a cocky little thing in general."

"Don't all boys tease their kid sisters friends though?"

"I'm two years younger than you, Pat. I'm hardly a kid next to you."

"I noticed," he said softly, almost bashfully as he studied the ground.

Mack felt the air whoosh from her lungs. She was not expecting that. She suspected Pat might have a crush on her now. She had noticed him looking at her all summer, taking care to move people around so he could be near her when she was with Jess or other mutual friends.

She recovered and smirked at him, shaking her head. "What? Your day would be ruined if I weren't there?" She laughed.

"Maybe?" He answered honestly. Pat wasn't even sure what he was saying. But ever since Mackenzie had come home, he couldn't stop thinking about her. She had changed so much in four years and he really liked what he saw. Plus, he knew Mack and she knew him. She wasn't just some random girl at a bar looking to bag a rich boyfriend. She was just Mack, the girl next door, who didn't like him for his fame and fortune. Hell, she didn't even like him it turned out. He let out a frustrated sigh.

"Just forget it," he said quickly, turning to leave. He made it halfway across her yard before she stopped him.

"I'll come if it means that much to you," she called after him.

Patrick stopped and faced her. His smile was wide and beaming. "Really?"

"Yes, really," she laughed. "I can't disappoint Buffalo's favorite son, now can I?"

~*~*~


Patrick's day with the cup was a perfect sunny summer day. Mackenzie had spent an inordinate amount of time choosing the right outfit for the day the night before, finally settling on a pair of black denim shorts with a gold metallic stripe pattern and a simple black tank top tucked in. She wore black flats with studs all over them.

In the morning, she washed and blow dried her hair before setting to work on it with her straightener until it lay perfectly. She smiled at her reflection and brushed her teeth before heading next door.

Mackenzie let herself inside the Kane house and shouted out for Jess, who yelled for her to come upstairs. As she reached the stairs, Patrick appeared from another room and grabbed her hand, pulling her outside with him.

"What do you want, Patty Cake?"

He frowned. "Do you think maybe you could not call me that today? There will be reporters and a guy from Blackhawks TV here. I really don't want the guys to know someone calls me that."

"You pulled me outside for that?"

"Well, no. I was going to say thank you for coming today. It means a lot."

"You're welcome," Mackenzie smiled.

"You look really pretty," Pat blurted out before blushing furiously. "I mean, you always do but I like it when you don't wear makeup. You don't need it, Mack."

"I always look pretty?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Really?"

"All summer," he promised.

"But not before this summer, right? God, you're so shallow, Pat. I'm the same girl I've always been. I'm just prettier now. I grew up but you haven't changed a bit."

"That's not what I meant!" He protested.

Mackenzie cut him off. "It's exactly what you meant. I meet your standard now, is that it?" She shook her head, a look of disgust on her face. "You were horrible to me growing up and because now I don't look the same, that I'm pretty, you expect that I'll just forgive and forget all the nasty things you said to me, that you did to me? That isn't how this works."

"We were kids, Mack! You can't hold that against me. I grew up too, you know."

"Really? You seem like the same old Patrick Kane to me. Drinking with your buddies to all hours, carousing with whatever skank bats her lashes at you. It's really too bad that your inside doesn't match your outside."

She turned on her heel and stormed inside and went straight to Jess's room, slamming the door behind her.

"You okay?" Jess asked.

"Just peachy," Mack growled.

Jess smiled sympathetically. "Pat?"

"I really hate your brother."

"He really likes you though."

"But why? Because I grew really great boobs and my hair got shiny? That is bullshit! I'm the same person I've always been and he's only noticing now because I fit the mold of what he likes."

"Pat is a boy. Boys are stupid. Pat is stupid," Jessica reasoned.

"He has three sisters; you'd think he'd be less stupid when it came to girls, you know?"

"He's still a boy though."

"Yeah, a boy that has let the hero worship of the city of Chicago go to his head."

Jess giggled. "You're definitely right about that."

"Why does he have to be so stupid? Why does he have to live up to the exact expectations I expect? Why can't he be different?" Mackenzie sighed as she flopped down on Jess's bed.

"He is different, Mack," Jess replied. "He might not be showing it but I swear. Pat isn't the same guy. He's grown up some and is acting like an adult."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

~*~*~

And here's all your lies
You can't look me in the eyes
With the sad, sad look
That you wear so well


Although Pat and Mackenzie avoided each other the entire day, Pat found his eyes trailing her every movement and a deep jealousy took hold of him by that evening as Mack sat surrounded by some of his oldest friends, who hung on her every word at his lakefront home. She was smiling and laughing, as the group at Pat's summer home had dwindled to just his friends, his sisters, and Mack.

There was food, beer, and music as everyone hung out, relaxing and enjoying the last few hours of the day. He took a pull from his beer as his sister Erica approached him.

"Soooo," Erica grinned.

"What?" Pat asked gruffly.

"Mack."

He scowled. "What about her?"

"You can't keep your eyes off her; you like her."

"I do not."

"Yeah you do. It's obvious."

"It's just Mack, nothing special."

"Bullshit. Mack has always been special. Just admit it. I know you used to tease her because of your jerk friends. I know you liked her in high school."

"Fine, I like her, okay? But she hates me so what does it matter? I'm pretty sure her only purpose in life is to give me hell."

"Don't you think you deserve that? Why don't you try showing her the man you've become? And if that doesn't work, apologize and grovel."

As the early evening wore into the late night, one by one, Pat’s friends began to take their leave, thanking him for a great party and congratulating him again on his second Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe win. Erica and Jacqueline left together, and a short time later, Jessica walked to him to say goodbye as well. He noticed Mackenzie waiting near the house, talking with Billy, one of his best friends.

Jessica’s eyes followed where Pat looked in the distance and smiled. “You should talk to her, like a human being as opposed to the ass you usually are.”

“I’m not an ass!” he protested loudly. He blushed when he saw Mackenzie and Billy stop talking and look quizzically over at him. “Fuck,” he muttered.

“How long have you liked her?” Jess asked.

Pat sighed. “High school.”

“What?!” she exclaimed. “But you were so mean to her.”

“Because she was always around, like you and Erica and Jacquie. And she was kind of a dork but I liked that about her.”

“But your friends didn’t and you went along with them.”

“I don’t get it,” Pat said in frustration as Mackenzie laughed at something Billy said, clutching his arm. “Billy was just as mean but she’s nice to him. She’s practically humping him!”

“He’s not you.”

“Huh?”

“Mack likes you, you idiot.”

“She does?”

“She always has.”

“Really?”

“You really are stupid, you know that? Of course she has. Don’t you remember teasing her about her writing Mrs. Mackenzie Kane on her notebooks in middle school?”

“I forgot about that,” Pat admitted. “So what do I do now?”

“Talk to her. Tell her how you feel. That’s where I would start.”

Pat nodded. “When should I do that?”

Jessica sighed. “How about right now?” She pushed Patrick towards Mackenzie and Billy and then rushed ahead of him. “Billy, can I ask you a question about my car? It’s making this weird noise.” She grabbed hold of his hand and dragged him into the house, leaving Pat alone with Mackenzie.

“Hey,” Pat said, kicking at the grass.

“Nice party, Patty Cake,” she smiled. “It was fun.”

“Yeah? You had a good time?”

“Always do when I’m with the Kane’s.”

“We know how to give a good time,” he smirked. Mack rolled her eyes at him. “I mean, I’m glad you had a good time.” A silence fell between them and for once, Pat had no idea what to say next.

“I better head out,” Mack said, turning to head into the house.

“Wait!” Patrick called out. He walked closer to Mackenzie and she looked at him expectantly. “Can I take you out tomorrow?”

“Take me out? Like a date?”

“Yeah.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want to.”

“Please?”

“Are you begging now?”

“If it gets you to go out with me. I leave for Chicago next week. I just want one chance to prove I'm different, Mack. Please.”

She hesitated, chewing her bottom lip in thought before sighing. “Six tomorrow. But I’m picking what we do. And if you’re a minute late, I won’t go.”

“I’ll be there early, I promise.”

“Congratulations again, Patty Cake. You deserved it.”

~*~*~

You never seemed so tense love
I've never seen you fall so hard
Do you know where you are


Mack watched from her bedroom window as Pat pulled up to his childhood home and walked inside. She let the curtain fall back into place as she laid across her bed. She hadn’t told anyone yet about the job she had been offered the day after her date with Patrick. She had only just accepted it that morning. Her mind drifted back to her date the week before as she tried to collect her thoughts.

Patrick had pulled into her driveway at ten minutes to six. Mack had watched him wipe his palms on the front of his shorts, his lips moving in what she would later find out was a pep talk to himself. He approached the door and rang the bell and Mack swung it open a few moments later.

“Early, I’m impressed,” Mackenzie teased him.

“I wanted to prove to this girl that I’m not the guy she remembers,” Pat said with a smile.

“She sees.”

“You ready?” She nodded and grabbed her purse, following Patrick back to his SUV. “Where to?”

The night started with dinner and then a round of mini golf before they headed for a local bar. Patrick ignored the calls from some friends to join them and steered Mack to a booth near the back for the two of them.

“We could’ve sat with your friends,” Mack said after he ordered beers for them.

“Didn’t want to share you,” Pat admitted softly. Mackenzie blushed and dropped her eyes from Pat’s. When she looked up again, he was studying her intently. She leaned across the table.

“Why are you so determined to impress me?” she asked.

“Because I like you.”

“Because I changed into a pretty girl worthy of being a WAG?”

Pat shook his head. “You’ve always been beautiful, Mack. I was too scared to say so when we were younger. I know that was wrong of me and I should have stood up to my friends but I went along with them instead. And I’m sorry for that. You are a better person than a lot of people I know.”

“Thanks, Patty Cake.”

Patrick grinned. “I even like when you call me that.”

Mackenzie laughed. “That is a damn lie and you know it.”

“No, it’s the truth. I really don’t mind when it’s you.”

They talked until closing time, trading stories of Patrick’s misadventures his first few years in the league and Mack told him stories about college life. When he dropped her back at home, Pat walked her to her front door.

“Thanks for going out with me tonight,” Pat told her.

“I had fun,” Mack replied.

“Too bad I'm leaving next week.”

“I’ll see you on TV,” she smiled.

“You’ll watch my games?”

“Patty Cake, I’ve always watched your games. You really thought I went and became a Red Wings fan?” She shook her head with a giggle. “I was there for game six. I got death glares for wearing a Blackhawks jersey and cheering for you guys.”

“You were at game six?! Why didn't you have someone tell me? I would’ve liked to see you.”

“I wasn't going to take advantage of my connections to your family, Pat. We weren't friends.”

“And now?”

“Now we’re sort of friends.”

“Who's jersey did you wear?”

“What?”

“At game six. Who’s jersey?”

“Yours.”

“You have one of my jerseys?”

“Who else would I have? You're the only reason I even follow the Blackhawks.”

Pat grinned. “You love me.”

Mack laughed. “I wouldn’t go that far, Patty Cake. I’m pretty certain I haven’t gone insane.”

He chuckled at that. “I’ll see you tomorrow night at family dinner, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there.” Pat smiled and jogged back to his vehicle. He waved to her as she unlocked the front door. “See you tomorrow, Mack!”


Patrick left his parent’s house an hour later, stepping outside and heading towards his car. He hesitated in the driveway, looking over at Mack’s house. He wasn't sure if he should go over or not. Their date had been perfect and he felt something there between them but he didn't know if he should push his luck or not with her. He thought he was reading the signals right but then he wasn’t entirely sure he would ever read Mack right. He finally decided to at least let her know he was leaving and started crossing his parents yard towards her house when the front door opened and Mack appeared in the doorway, a smile on her lips. She met him halfway.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hi.”

“You’re leaving?”

“Yeah, just about to set out.”

Mack nodded. “I wanted to tell you something before you left.”

“What?”

She leaned into him, placing her hands on his shoulders and kissing him, catching Patrick off guard. Before he could process and pull her in for a real kiss, she was pulling away from him.

“That’s what you wanted to tell me? Right before I leave for Chicago, which is like a million and a half miles from Buffalo, the one thing I wanted you tell me all summer?” Pat asked in disbelief.

Mackenzie laughed. “No, I wanted to tell you see you in a month.” She smiled at his dumbfounded expression. “I took a job in Chicago this morning. I’ll need someone to show me around the city and you’ve been nominated. Unless you want that captain of yours to do the job.”

“No!” he shouted. “I mean, I’ve got it.”

“Good. So I’ll see you in a month?”

“I’ll be counting down the days,” Pat smiled. “Hey Mack?” he said as she started to head back to her house. She turned back and he closed the short distance between them, pulling her into his arms for another kiss. As they broke apart, Patrick whispered to her, “I can’t wait for you to get to Chicago and give me hell.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed!