Abby Conklin's Challenge!

Welcome to the Family!

Living on my own wasn't tough. I could do that no problem.

Living on my own with an on again off again married boyfriend? Now that was something school didn't prepare me for. I was getting weird pains in my stomach and throwing up a few months after my latest rendezvous with Gunther. Going to the hospital, I was confirmed pregnant, and realized that my challenge was on it's way.

I went out and purchased a crib for my upcoming baby, as well as some toys and a mobile for over the crib. I was very excited.

Gunther was careful not to be caught coming to visit me at home when his wife was at home from her business. From the talk of the town, the Goths had the town in their pocket; his father bought the plot of land the town was growing on, and his wife was the owner of the only supermarket in town. Rich people, very rich. Gunther had secured his hand to the wealth of the Goth line when his father set him up with Melinda Landgraab.

I was the other woman. The other pregnant with his child woman.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Pregnancy was easy. After the first trimester of morning sickness and aching back, it flew by like a breeze. Of course, Gunther was a rare occurrence in my house now; he was feeling guilty that he was cheating on his wife. His wife of course was still oblivious to his affair with me, but she was tightening his leash anyways. That woman had an underground sixth sense.

I was bloated and swollen and only a month from my due date when I heard a knock on my door. I had only just gotten onto the couch and was grumpy when I knew I had to get up again. "Coming!"

It was Gunther.

"Abby, hi." He said breathlessly, smiling at me. I didn't smile back. He dropped the smile and frowned slightly. "Darling? What's wrong?" I moved to the side to let him in; I couldn't let him be outside for more than a few minutes unless the neighbours saw and reported it.

"What's wrong? What's wrong!? Gunther you've been M.I.A throughout this whole pregnancy!" I shouted once the door was closed. He flinched at my outburst; generally a submissive by nature Gunther didn't like it when I got emotional. "I'm having your baby! Can't you at least stick around for more than a few hours a week!?"

"Honey, you know I can't, I'm married to -" "Yeah yeah, Melinda. But, she's getting old, Gunther. Mortimer is now a teenager!" Gunther nodded. He had told me before that he and his son didn't get along well, and he was excited to start a new chapter of his life with his new baby. "Why don't you just leave her? You obviously don't love her." Gunther's grey eyes flicked up to mine and he steeled himself off just like that.

"Abby Conklin I love Melinda with all my heart, she's the one that's refused my love and affection for her." "Then why don't you leave her?" I begged, feeling my stomach twist with my own words. Gunther sighed heavily, turned towards my tiny living room and ran a hand through his hair. "I can't, Abby. My father's will ... as long as I stay with Melinda I'll keep the Goth wealth!"

"I don't care about the wealth, I-" I stopped, grabbing my stomach. Something was wrong. Before Gunther could turn and speak, water gushed onto the floor and I felt pain sear right through me. "Baby!" I screamed.

The next twelve to fourteen hours were a blur of a taxi ride, white walls and green-uniform'ed doctors, some squalling and ....

Twins. I had twins.