Look for Me in Rainbows

So Its August 29th Already?

Maggie squeezed Patrick’s hand as she stepped on to the ice. She hadn’t even laced up her skates in what seemed like a lifetime. She glided out and felt the all too familiar feeling of the fresh ice under her skates. Patrick skated next to her. It made him happy to see her so excited to be on the ice again. She hadn’t been out on it in forever.

The rink was pretty empty. Not too many people came to the free skate at twelve o’clock on a Tuesday. Maggie skated up ahead of Patrick then turned around and skated backwards in front of him.

“Alright, take it easy Miss Boston College.” He said. Maggie laughed.

“How’d you know that?”

“You’re in the Buffalo Buffalo’s team program.” He answered.

“Nice.” She smiled. “Reading up on me?”

“Obviously.” He said. “You never told me you were the captain of a team that won the NCAA Championship.” Maggie sighed and turned around to skate forward again.

“Yep.”

“That’s really cool.” He said. “I didn’t get to go to college.” Maggie shrugged.

“All I did was play hockey and workout.” She said. “I didn’t learn much either.”

“But you did get to go.” He said. “I was thrown into the NHL at 19 years old.”

“Yeah.”

“I have some good news.” He said. “Hawk’s training camp in Chicago starts in two weeks.”

“Two weeks?” She asked. He nodded. “So its August 29th already?”

“Yeah. Why?” She shook her head.

“No reason.” She answered.

“Well,” He said, “Usually before camp my buddy Jonathan rooms with me here here then we fly to Chicago, but this year -”

“Toews?” Maggie exclaimed.

“Yeah.”

“He can stay at my house!” She answered.

“Really?”

“Yeah.” She said. “You and me in my room and he can use the guest room. Unless you’d like the guest room and John can room with me.” Maggie elbowed Patrick.

“I think I can give him the guest room.”

“Sweet.”

“And why do you like Toews so much?” Patrick asked.

“You kidding?” She asked. “My dad was a Hawks fan. I totally knew who you were when we first met.”

“Really?” He said.

“I just kept myself together. You’re just a person, and I’m not one of those, uh, puck sluts.” She said. Patrick laughed. “Oh yeah! I know about them.”

“You’re crazy.” He answered nudging her. She nudged back, but lost her balance. Laughing, they both fell in a heap on the ice. He kissed her. A rink guard stood over them, rolling his eyes. Maggie and Patrick stood up laughing. He helped her brush the ice off her jeans. He caught her eye as they leaned against the boards. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”