Look for Me in Rainbows

Go Play In Your Room If You Can't Handle The Grown Up Stuff

Maggie pulled one of her shots out of the fridge. She lifted up the edge of her shorts, rubbed her leg with some rubbing alcohol then jammed it into her leg, pushed the plunger and pulled it out. “You really shouldn’t do that while I’m eating right next to you” Patrick said.

“You squeamish?” Maggie asked. Patrick rolled his eyes.

“No.” Maggie grinned at him. “Maybe. Shut up. Leave me alone.” Maggie laughed and walked over to him. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek.

“I’ll wait until you’re gone next time.”She said. He cracked a small half smile.

“Thank you.” He kissed her.

“Eww.” Jonathan whined as he walked into the kitchen.

“Go play in your room if you can’t handle the grown up stuff.” Maggie said.

“Ha. Ha.” Replied Jonathan. “Are y’all packed yet?”

“I’ve almost started.” Maggie answered. Jonathan and Patrick rolled their eyes.

“We’re moving back to Chicago tomorrow!” Patrick exclaimed.

“I know. I know. I’ll get it done.” Maggie assured them. “I’ll go get on it now.” She turned and went up stairs.

She pulled out her duffel bag and filled it up, mostly with athletic clothes. She loaded in all of her hockey necessities, but paused halfway through. She took a deep breath. “Its only the olympic tryout.” She said to herself. “You’ll do fine.” Maggie had never really been nervous about a hockey tryout before, but now so much more was on the line than just a spot on a team. This was a chance to go down in the history books, to wear her country’s name while playing for them in the Olympics. Something that girls like Maggie had dreamt of all their lives. She had the chance to make that dream a reality.

She finished packing and threw her bag on the floor just as Patrick walked into the room. “I’m done now. Ya happy?”

“Yes, very.” He said as he pulled her in and held her close to his chest. He kissed the top of her head. “You ready to get ready for the Olympics?”

“As I’ll ever be.” Patrick looked right in her eyes.

“Do you feel okay?”

“Honestly, I feel about a thousand times better than I have in pretty much my whole life.” She answered.

“Okay good.” He replied. “Just checking because I love you.”

“I know.” She said. “And I don’t mind when you ask because I love you.” Patrick smiled and kissed her forehead. It made him so happy to know that Maggie let her walls down around him. She never used to want to talk about how she was. He was also absolutely overjoyed that she was okay. He was terrified that he was going to lose her, not a month ago.

“I think I’m gonna hit the hay.” Patrick yawned.

“Yeah, me too.” Maggie said. “Gotta catch up on sleep so I can be an Olympian in two days.”