Look for Me in Rainbows

Love You Too

Maggie felt the familiar jolting that comes when an airplane’s wheels first touch the ground. She had just touched down in Chicago. Tomorrow was the start of Olympic training camp for the women’s team prospects. Maggie was both excited and nervous.

Her trip through the airport was a blur until she had to kiss her boyfriend goodbye for the next two weeks. “I’ll really miss you.” She said. “And you’ve been really good, but no partying or drinking now that you’re back with the guys. I’m saying that because I love you.”

“I’ll miss you too.” He replied. He moved closer and kissed her. “And I promise there will be no shenanigans.”

“I will prevent the shenanigans.” Jonathan said. He joined in Maggie and Patrick’s hug and rocked them back and forth.

“Maggie!” Someone screeched from across the baggage claim terminal. Maggie knew that voice. Annie was running towards her.

“I didn’t know you were such a screamer, Anns!” Maggie laughed.

“I’m just so glad I caught you.” She said. “So so psyched to be here.”

“Me too.” Maggie laughed. “Have you met Patrick and Jonathan yet?”

“No, but you did tell me all about your ‘super great NHL star boyfriend’.” She answered.

“Bragging on both sides of this relationship.” Jonathan said. “Too cute!” Maggie rolled her eyes.

“Annie, this is Jonathan.” Maggie said. They shook hands.

“Nice to meet you.” They both said at the same time.

“And this is Patrick.” They, too, shook hands.

“Well, Mags.” Patrick paused. “We’ve gotta head out.”

“I know.” Maggie hugged him and buried her face in his chest. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Next time I see you you’ll be an olympian.”

“You know they won’t announce the team until January.” Maggie said.

“Trust me, they want you.” Patrick said as he rubbed her back. “I love you, Mags.”

“Love you too.” He turned towards Jonathan and they headed out of the airport. Annie nudged Maggie’s arm.

“We should get going too. We’re meeting the other girls at the hotel to get room assignments. We don't want to be late.” She said.

“Yeah, let’s go.”
..............................................................................

“Hello, ladies.” Said a middle aged woman with shoulder length blonde hair. “I am Casey Witt. Coach Witt to you all. I will be running camp camp for the next two weeks along with my assistant coach, Bobby Wellman.” She paused. “Everyone else you need to know will be in the packet that was given to you when you arrived. If anyone has any questions, you can talk to me after or during dinner and room check in. I am so looking forward to working with you all this week. Go USA!” Maggie sighed and stood up with everyone else. They all filed into the hotel’s conference room. It had been set up with tables for everyone. Maggie found her seat at one of the tables in the middle. There were two other people at the table already.

“Hey.” Maggie said as she sat down. “I’m Maggie Wilson.”

“Julie Chu.” One of the girls. She had dark hair and was older than the other girl. Maggie recognized her. Julie had played on the Olympic team before. Three times. Maggie watched her play on TV. Maggie nodded.

“Jordan Rivera.” Said the other girl. She dark hair that was cut in a cute bob.

“Nice to meet you.” Maggie said. Two other girls walked up to the table and sat down.

“I’m Mollie Barbour.” The first girl said. She had curly red hair and bright green eyes.

“I’m Elyse Granger.” The second girl said. She had short blonde hair. All the girls sat in silence for a moment until Julie spoke up.

“Okay.” She said. “Lets go around the table and say your name, how old you are, if you’ve been to training camp before, and your current team. I’ll start.” She paused. “I’m Julie Chu. I’m thirty one. This is my fourth time at camp and I play for the Montreal Stars.” She looked at Jordan.

“I’m Jordan Rivera.” She started. “I’m twenty six. This is my second time at camp, but I haven’t played in the Olympics, yet, and I play for the Minnesota Whitecaps.” Maggie grinned.

“Hey, I’m Maggie.” She beamed. “I’m twenty three. This is my first time here, and I play for the Chicago Flames.”

“I’m Mollie. I’m nineteen, its my first time here, and I play at University of Minnesota.”

“Hi, I’m Elyse. I am twenty five, and like Jordan, I’ve been here before, but didn’t play in the games, and I play for the Toronto Aeros.”

“Awesome.” Julie said. “She was obviously one of the team leaders. This was going to be her fourth olympics. “So Mollie and Maggie, you all have nothing to worry about. Everyone here is awesome, and Maggie I think I’m rooming with you, but don’t hold me to that. We’ll check into our rooms after dinner.”

“Sweet.” Maggie said. “I hope we do room together. I’ve watched you play on TV. You’re awesome.”

“Thanks.” Sha said. “I’ve seen film of you from the last time we played the Flames. You’re good too.”

“Thanks.” That was the most reassuring thing Maggie had heard all day. The fact that the other girls had come to camp, but not played in a games scared Maggie a little. Would she end up like them?