Look for Me in Rainbows

A Few Days Ago I Made The Best Choice Of My Life, To Talk To You

Patrick put his arm around Maggie as they watched the sun go down. Maggie never wanted to leave this spot. She felt so good when she was with Patrick. She hadn’t felt like that in a really long time. Patrick noticed that suddenly her breathing changed. It was picking up. She sat up straight and started coughing. It was the first time Patrick had witnessed one of Maggie’s coughing fits up close. It was the first of many that he would see. He patted and rubbed her back as she coughed. Him doing that made Maggie feel better. When she stopped coughing. She focused on her breathing so she could catch her breath.

Maggie looked up at Patrick and he gave her a weak smile. She shrugged. “What time is it?” She asked. He looked at his phone.

“Seven thirty-four.” She nodded and started going through her bag. She pulled out her water and a plastic container full of pills. She took the pills one at a time. Some big, some small. Patrick just watched. She put the container away, and took out two inhalers. She took two puffs on each. When she was finished she looked at Patrick who had been watching her the whole time.

“The pills are antibiotics, vitamins, and cough suppressants. The inhalers increase lung function and help me breathe more easily.” Patrick nodded. Maggie sighed. “You can say something.”

“I’m not that great at this.” He said. “I don’t really know what to say.”

“Thats okay.” She said. He put his arm around her again.

“A few days ago I couldn’t stand you, now all I want to do is be here for you.”

“And you’re doing a good job at it.” She said. “A few days ago I thought you were a self absorbed jerk.”

“A few days ago I was, but I realized, that wasn’t who I am and I wasn’t happy with who I thought I was. I thought all I wanted was to be better than everyone,” He said, “Then I realized that I didn’t always want to be better than everyone, I was afraid of not being the best. I was scared to fail and I hid it by convincing myself that I was already better than everyone.” Maggie nodded.

“A few days ago I made the best choice of my life, to talk to you.”

“And the best choice of my life was to listen to you.” He kissed her on the head. It was starting to get dark. “Lets call it a night, Maggie.” As they drove home, Maggie fell asleep in the car on the way. She was still out when they got near her house, so Patrick went past hers, to his.

When they got there, he carried her in and put her to sleep in his bed. He was tired too. He grabbed a blanket and passed out on the couch in his bedroom. “Night Mags.” He whispered as he drifted to sleep.