Look for Me in Rainbows

There's No S On Buffalo When You Make It Plural

Maggie woke up in a room that wasn’t hers. She looked around and saw Patrick on a couch in the corner. Now she remembered. She must’ve fallen asleep in the car on the way back from the beach. She stood up and changed from her dry bikini to a bra and underwear that were in her bag that Patrick had, thankfully, remembered to bring in. She got back into the bed and slept for a little while longer.

When she woke up a second time, Patrick wasn’t on the couch. She grabbed her bag and quickly took her morning round of pills. She had learned from past experiences to always bring an extra day’s worth of pills when she went places. She took her inhalers, then she wandered downstairs. “Good morning, Sunshine.” Patrick said when he saw Maggie coming down the stairs. “You want anything to eat?”

“Not now.” She said. “I need to wake up first. What time is it?” He looked at the clock on his stove.

“Ten thirty.” He said.

“Shit.” She said. “I’ve got the first summer team bootcamp in an hour and a half. Can you drop me off at my house?”

“You’re on the Buffalo Buffalos?” Maggie rolled her eyes.

“Yes.” She laughed. “And there’s no ‘s’ on buffalo when you make it plural”

“My dad took me and my sisters to their games when we were little. He has your season schedule on the fridge in his house.” Maggie laughed.

“You guys are devoted fans.” She said. “I hope you guys will come to some of my games.”

“I definitely will.” Patrick said. “And come on, I’ll take you home.” He led Maggie out the door.
.......................................................................

“I’m not eligible for one either.” Maggie said into her phone. Patrick had just left when her phone rang again. She was talking to Abigail’s mother again.

“I’m so sorry, honey.”

“Its okay. I’ll see you on Sunday.” Maggie hung up the phone and tried to ignore the lump in her throat. Abigail Wouldn’t want her to cry. Abigail was always happy and wanted everyone to just be happy all the time. Maggie changed her clothes, grabbed her hockey bag and went out the door.

She skated out onto the ice. She heard the distinct sounds that everyone’s blades made as they scraped across the ice. Maggie loved being part of a team again. She was finally able to pass the puck off to one girl, who could send it to another, then finally score. She loved getting passes from her team mates. Being able to feel the puck connect with her stick as she received it and shot it off again. She loved everything about it.

She got everything out of practice that she had hoped. She was one of the returning first line defenseman and was one of their top goal scorers from last year. The Buffalo were an offseason summer training team so they didn’t play as many games and practices had lots of conditioning, but Maggie enjoyed it as much as the regular season.

When practice was over everyone showered in the locker room and caught up from last summer. Maggie talked to the girls on her line. There was the center, Stacy Lackey, the right winger, Annie Zimmerman, the left winger, Gabi Hines, and finally her defenseman partner, Jillian Ansley. “Hey, Gibz.” She said. “How’s college?”

“Great.” Gabi answered. “I like the team.”

“Cornell, right? They’re not a bad team.” Maggie said.

“Second in our division.” Said Gabi.

“How ‘bout you, Willie?” Asked Jillian. “How was your season with the Flames?”

“Awesome.” Maggie answered. Her nickname, Willie, stemmed from her last name, Wilson. “How’d you do with the Icers?”

“Not bad.” Jillian said. “I liked it with them in Florida.”

“Stace? Did you like Florida?” Maggie asked.

“Yeah.” Stacey said. “I like the girls on the Icers.”

“Anner? You should come play for the Icers.” Jillian said.

“Hey!” Annie said. “I like the Houston Thunder.”

“Its so far though!” Maggie said.

“Willie, did you meet the new girl?” Annie asked. Annie was standing next to a younger girl. “This is Rosie Gonzales. She’s a winger.”

“Nice.” Maggie shook her hand. “You in college?”

“Yeah.” Said Rosie. “Boston College. This was my first year with them.”

“Sweet!” Maggie said. “I graduated from there last year.”

“I know.” Rosie said. “Everyone talks about you a lot.”

“What do they say?”

“That you were their best player.” She said. “And that you were really funny and cool.”

“Sweet.” Maggie answered. “At least it all good stuff. Did you ever get shaving creamed after you did really well?”

“Yeah” Rosie laughed.

“I started that.” Maggie laughed.

“Awesome.”

“You don't get to be captain for nothing.” Maggie laughed. Maggie loved her days with Boston College. She had been the captain of the team when they won the NCAA National Championship.

Maggie unwrapped from her towel and changed into her clothes. She dried her hair with a towel and started french braiding it as her coach spoke. “Laddies! Listen up!” He called. “The girls sat down in their stalls and quieted down. “Next Wednesday we’re playing the New York City Divas. Don’t judge them by their name, they are a very good team. Game’s at seven be here by five. Any questions?” He looked around. “No? Good. See you tomorrow.” Maggie stood up and grabbed her bag. She threw her stuff into her bag and headed out.

Maggie got a ride home from Annie because she didn’t have her car. When she got home she grabbed something to eat and went to do treatment. She had the “Vest” It was a type of therapy for cystic fibrosis. The Vest was a vest that she wore and plugged into a machine that filled the vest with air and made it vibrate. She had to sit for twenty minutes while the vest vibrated. Maggie was so used to it that she could just put it on and go to sleep while it worked. The Vest broke up the mucus in her lungs and helped her breathe. Maggie set her timer for twenty minutes and went to sleep.

When she woke up, she had missed a call from Patrick. He had left her a message. She listened to it.

“Hey, Maggie . . . I, uh I just wanted to say that I’m checking myself into rehab for alcohol addiction. I’m going to get better. I wanted to see you before I left, but I have to leave now. I’ll be back in a month. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. I meant to, but, um, you made me want to get better. I’m sorry I’m leaving you, but I have to. Uh, I’ll see you in a month, I guess . . . Bye.”

A tear streamed down her face. She was so happy for him, but she just didn’t want him to leave. She had just met him, but she was already attached. She really really liked him, and he kissed her. He liked her too, he had checked into rehab, because she had said he needed to get himself together.