Nanga Mai

Two

Anjilika’s POV
After an obscene amount of time, we were finally in Australia. Butterflies tied my stomach in knots from the moment the plane touched down in Alice Springs. I had a perpetual smile on my face and I couldn’t help but squeal as the plane came to a stop.

“Did you just squeal?” Kylie asked as people stood from their seats. I nodded as she shook her head and laughed.

“I’m surprised you’re not squealing.” I poked her shoulder with every word and she swatted my hand away.

“That hurts,” I shrugged and she went on. “I probably will when we go to Ayers Rock.”

“Yeah, I know. You want to play that instrument thing.” I said, rolling my eyes. Finally it was our turn to get out of our seats and grab our carry-on luggage.

“It’s called a didgeridoo, doofus. And yes, I want to play one.” I grabbed our bags from the overhead bin as she grabbed our backpacks from the seats in front of us. We had plenty of time to discuss the most efficient way possible to exit the plane and as I was the tallest, I had the shit end of the bargain. She just had to grab the bags from the floor as I had to pray I didn’t knock myself out with a suitcase to the head.

“Don’t call me doofus, doofus.” She stuck her tongue out and I laughed. “Is that your mature response?”

“Yep.” She scooted out of the seats with the backpacks in her hands as I grabbed the second suitcase. Though we didn’t exactly look like sisters, we sure acted like we were related. She was short, only five foot three, and I was a good eight inches taller. She had straight hair and my hair was curly as all hell. But I guess the physical differences ended there as we both had blue eyes and similar body shapes.

We ended our clever repartee and walked through the airport to the rental car place. She stepped up to talk to the lady at the counter while I looked around. Yep, looked like an airport to me.

I quickly lost interest in my surroundings and started people watching. Nobody really caught my eye until I let my gaze wonder toward the baggage area that wasn’t too far from our kiosk. Three men, one blonde, one brunette, and the last with black hair, all extremely tall from the looks of it, were standing around, chatting. Well the blonde and the black-haired men were talking, the brunette was looking around in a similar fashion to what I was.

The brunette turned his head my way, and my breath caught in my throat. I didn’t know the man, though he did look familiar, it was just that he was so damn good looking. He didn’t look much older than me, so he had to be 22 or 23. He had a beard and a rather large nose, but both suited him. He was muscular, but not as muscular as the blonde (who looked like a freaking body builder), and as he smiled at something, I felt the blood drain from my face. Then I realized, he’s smiling at me. I tried to smile back, but before I could get the muscles in my face to move, I heard Kylie call my name.

“Anjilika!” I looked back and she stood there, looking slightly annoyed. “I said your name about five times!”

“Oh, sorry.” I said quickly and turned my body toward her.

“What were you looking at?” I looked back to see that the three men had gone.

“Nothing.”

“Well ‘nothing; has you looking pretty spooked.” I shrugged at her accusation.

“I’m fine.” I clapped my hands together and smiled as best I could. “So, let’s blow this Popsicle stand.”
♠ ♠ ♠
We love comments!