Status: One Shot

Lonely Day

Lonely Day

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, gently pulling herself into a sitting position. She looked out the window silently, a lopsided smile appearing at the sight of the people just beyond the gate. Simply interacting, and going about their day. Every once in a while they’d peer at the palace gates wearily. Of course they would. Everybody knows something’s wrong. It’s just, nobody knows what’s going on. Not even her. Her gaze smoothly moved back to the closed gates themselves.

It’s going to be a lonely day.

She dug her palms into her eyes gently, rubbing the sleep out of them before throwing her legs over the side of the bed. She padded over to the wardrobe and thumbed through it for something warmer. Maybe today would be the day her sister would come out. Maybe today they could rekindle their broken relationship.

Or she would continue to ignore her.

It’s going to be a lonely day.

Her tired gaze moved back to her warm, inviting bed. It never denied her, or shut her out. She shook her head gently, moving her eyes to glance at the blankets of white covering everything within sight. No, she couldn’t go back to bed. If there was ever a time for her sister to join her, it was on a snow day. She could remember that much about her. She quickly shed her sleep clothes and replaced them with a warm winter dress and a pair of boots. She ran a brush through her hair and kept it down. It was both warmer and more fun that way. Besides, nobody was around to reprimand the princess for her impropriety.

Nobody ever was.

It’s going to be a lonely day.

She quickly made her way to her window, leaning on the windowsill and smiling at the feeling of warm sunshine on her face. She had better hurry before it melts! Her bright smile in place, she headed out the door and down the hall. Despite the smile she wore, she couldn’t help the cold dread that she felt inside when she reached the door. She held her fist up to the door, hesitating.

She’d done this hundreds of times, with the same results, after all.

It’s going to be a lonely day.

Her gloved hands rapped on the door firmly and swiftly, feigning excitement.

“Hey, Elsa! Do you want to build a snow man?” Her smile stayed firmly in place. It would just take a bit of convincing is all!

“The sun is shining, and we don’t have much time!” Her heart dropped in her stomach, but she persisted, keeping her smile perked up. She wanted to look perfect just in case that door opened up for her.

“Today’s the perfect day to come outside!” The silence on the other side of the door was unsettling.

“Or we could stay inside, if that’s what you’d like!” Her fist lingering on the door loosened and instead she gripped the frame desperately.

“We could talk, and laugh, or read together!” Even though her voice sounded as chipper as possible, she found it impossible to keep the smile up. It slipped away with each silent second that ticked by.

“Oh, I guess you just want to stay in. That’s okay. We can hang out another time.” Her expression bore nothing but pain as she turned around and leaned on the door silently.

“You know, I’m always here for you if you want to talk. I’m not going anywhere.” She slid down it and drew her knees up, wrapping her arms around them.

“I love you, Elsa.” Silent tears cascaded down her face.

It’s going to be a lonely day.