Status: Active

Sing Me to Sleep

Chapter 1

The beep of the alarm wasn’t the last sound I wanted to hear but it was far from the first as well. However, I had promised my friends that I would at least try to get back into a normal routine, try for them… and try for James too.

As he crossed my mind I let out a quiet sigh glancing at the photo of us on m nightstand shutting my eyes tight counting slowly to five then looked over at where he would have been then sighed when I saw the made bed, the same as it had been for the past 6 months now.

I stumbled out of bed, rubbing my face and groaning, “I do not want to do this, I do not want to do this.” My tired mumbles repeating themselves over and over while I went through my morning routine, brush the teeth, take a shower, slap on the makeup, make hair presentable and finally shove on the first clothes that matched I could find then wander downstairs to grab my keys and get in the car heading to the studio to start recording.

Maybe I should take a few steps back here and introduce myself. I’m Haley Ramirez Sulo, lead vocalist for rock-metal band, My Sinful Life and six months, two weeks and four days ago, I lost my husband to lung cancer. It was exactly six months, two weeks and three days ago that I began drinking and I haven’t stopped since, my flask… his flask, was tucked into the inside pocket of my(his) leather jacket that I set carefully onto the passenger seat of my(his) old Chevy Impala. I’d sold my own car not because I needed the money but I only need one car and I couldn’t bring myself to sell this car. In fact there was very little of his that I could bring myself to get rid of, aside from his family that is.

I turned the radio on thinking it could maybe bring me some peace while I drove only that was the last thing it did, it merely turned on my own song, a song I had written for my husband James the day after he proposed, a song that reminded me far too much of the man who had been my everything since we were twelve up until her had left me at the brutal age of twenty-six. Who was I kidding? He still is my everything no matter how much I tell other people how well I’m recovering, how well I’m coping with the loss.

I kept my hands clamped tightly on the steering wheel as I drove, daring myself to get through the whole song without breaking down but by the beginning of last chorus the tears had begun to drizzle down my face so I turned it off sighing heavily wiping my eyes and parking carefully turning my(his) car off but pulled my knees to my chest and took a minute to collect myself. “I miss you James… This is all gonna be for you though, promise.” I whispered clutching his wedding ring I wore on a chain on my neck once more before getting out the car and going in to start back at work.