Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Fireworks

Daryl froze under my grasp. The fingers that were laced around mine suddenly loosened. My eyes were shut tightly, so much that I could feel crinkles on my lids. But I could tell that his were absolutely wide open. I was just tight against him, awkwardly pressing my dry lips against his dead ones.

There were no traces of fireworks. No electrical currents. No sparkles.

I didn’t even know what you were supposed to see when you kissed a hick. Dead squirrels?

Taking a cautious step back, my wiry fingers slithered from around his collar. Before I had a chance to pull away, Daryl was shoving me off of him irritably.

“Get ya hands off me!” he growled.

I turned on my side to avoid his gaze, setting my palms onto my hips. Stealing a glance back at Daryl, I wished I didn’t. His weight rested on one foot, making him look incredibly wonky. And with the back of his hand, he was rubbing incessantly at his cracked lips. Like a sulking child.

Once he was sure the cooties from my kiss were gone, Daryl focused his fury on me. His brows were knotted in fire, venom knitted through his voice. “Hell ya think ya are?”

“Calm down, crazy.” I scrunched my nose at him. “I’m just way out o’ my head right now.”

His lids thinned until I was met with a vicious glare.

“Listen here Shaggy, I aint nobody’s bitch. I aint here for ya ta do wha’ you want with. Thought I made tha’ clear.” Daryl paced around me, throwing wild elbows and finger pointing every now and again.

I barely held the scoff that spilt from my mouth. “Oh please. Don’t act like you didn’t like it. Your lips have virgin written all over them.”

“’nd I’m startin’ ta think slut’s written on yours.”

I felt the sting. Even though I shouldn’t have. Daryl searched my face carefully, wanting to see even the slightest twitch. When I frowned, I swore I could see the small glint in his eye.

The red consumed my thoughts, making my anger burn at my throat. “Take ya awhile to think of that one on your own did it? I’m sure ya good at writin’ off friends so I’ll make it easy for you.”

Daryl just stared at me, his face falling into an emotionless plate.

“We aint friends. We aint nothin’,” he said through gritted teeth. His hand thumbed the gun slouched over his shoulder, chin lifted a little like something was stuck to his neck.

I twisted on my heel, hands still perched on my hips. The leaves crunched underneath my weight, as I continued trudging on. Back into the forest. Not for long this time. Hopefully. Tucking two fingers in my lips, I sucked in a harsh breath and whistled loudly.

My whistle carried with the wind until it was just a soft whisper. Kit’s ears were probably twitching at the sound. He’d blink slowly before it processed, and then he’d sniff out my track until he found me again.

I thanked Jesus at least one of us could do that.

“Hey,” called Daryl lazily. There was a hint of something gleaming in his voice. Stress? Regret? I wasn’t sure. When I didn’t turn to face him, an unintelligible groan rumbled from his throat. “Ya aint goin’ ou’ there. Walkers for a hundred miles will be comin’.”

I rolled my eyes, slowing into a steady pace. Daryl caught up to me, meeting my steps with long strides. Our eyes were flickering everywhere but over each other’s.

I swallowed hard. “Come with us then, if ya so worried about it.”

“’nd go where?” Came his instant grunt. He was expecting it. Hell, maybe even considering asking himself. I smiled at that.

“Far away from here,” I replied, nodding beyond the tree line.
A hush fell over us. My bones ached for him to agree. It would be nice to have someone else around. Watching my back. Watching Kit’s back. Maybe it wouldn’t be so lonely. I didn’t really like the idea of going for weeks without seeing another human face.

His pause lingered for too long. Panic streamed across my heart.

“What’s keepin’ you here?” I asked slowly. “You don’t have anyone either.”

He swung the gun into the air and caught the end of it, resting the top over his shoulder until it was pointed behind us. “Think they need me. Carol, Rick ‘nd them.”

Carol. Huh.

“Jus’ forget it,” I snapped back. Picking at my temple, I could feel the irritation wriggling under my skin. “We’re better on our own anyway. And Kit hates you somethin’ fierce. Would’ve never worked.”

Kit wouldn’t be far now. He’d find me easy with that beasty nose of his. And then it’d be just me and him. It was always just me and him. He was the only one who I could count on now. The only one I could trust.

Beside me, I could hear Daryl’s pace slowing. My feet trudged faster, cutting a path through as they did. Air thickening as I delved deeper into the forest. The humming of the bugs matched the sweet singing of the blue birds above me. Daryl’s boots halted in his spot. No longer ready to follow.

Something was tugging at me. Making my legs ache. Pulling my feet back as though there were hands around my ankles. Trying to suck me back like a magnet. Something I knew had to do with him. So I didn’t dare peek over my shoulder. Didn’t dare say goodbye.

Daryl’s mumbling reply was quiet. Quiet enough that I had to strain my ears to hear it. I wished that I didn’t, wished I just ignored him. Because his voice replayed over and over in my skull.

“Yeah. Woulda never worked.”

So when I felt the regret choke up my pipes, I turned back around, ready to tell him. Tell him that I was coming back now, and that he was right. That I was scared out here, and I didn’t know if Kit was on his way or not. That kissing him wasn’t all that bad. And that maybe, maybe it would’ve worked.

But when I turned, he was already gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so just to clear up a few things! If you're confused as to where Kit is, then you probably read the last chapter before I edited it! She told him to leave when he started growling.

Also, if you're confused as to why she isn't upset about her Dad, I just want to clear the air and say that she's the kind of person who masks her feelings with other ones. That's where the anger comes in. Anyway, I know I should of put it in there somewhere, but I didn't see any way I could've put it in there since Nora is the first narrator :')

Well I hope you enjoyed! I've been excited the past few days with this story, and appreciate all of your support and comments you've been leaving!

Random fact: Nora can't cook to save her life.

Thank you so much to xxsad_gurlxx, HotRanger69, ArielRomanov, InLoveWithMyLife., Ragdoll.

Lots of love, Tara.