Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Gunshots

I woke to the sound of gunshots.

They sounded like pitter patters. Distant echoes travelling along with the wind. They’d stop every now and again, before another few rounds would go off.

My eyes darted around the room. Morning sun light streaming in through the windows and warming us. I moved my neck from side to side, feeling it strain as I turned it. Sleeping on the floor with your head resting on the coffee table would do that to you.

“Hey you,” I said tiredly.

Kit’s nose was tickling my ears. I shook my shoulders, my lids fluttering awake. The slits I peered through were glossy, like I was looking at Kit through a wet window. I ran a hand behind his ear and scratched. He relished in the feeling, tilting his head into my fingers.

He blinked his eyes at me slowly, making a soft whine before yawning.

I propped my chin up on my forearm, glancing towards the frame of the door. Herschel’s figure stood calmly, thumbing his suspenders. He squinted one eye at me, his mouth stressed into a line of disapproval.

“We need to be clear about this. Speak to Rick, work out sleeping arrangements with him today,” Herschel spoke firmly, his gaze sturdy.

I nodded rather awkwardly, eyes diverting away from his.
“Sorry Herschel,” I replied warmly, thrusting myself up to my feet. “I didn’t mean any disrespect.”

“I want you out before the morning’s done. My farm, my say.” Herschel turned on his heel and spun from my view.

I patted my palms across my thighs, watching the space where he had just been. There were patters on the floorboards from the second story. My ears twitched at the sound, waiting to hear footsteps descend the stairs, but they never did.

Kit’s beady eyes glanced up at me, but he didn’t dare stir.
My hands stretched up by my ears, fingers catching around my hair like a net. I wound the dirty locks into a loose bun, spreading it away from my forehead. Another round of gun shots sounded, like shatters of rain drops. I paused, habitually waited for a scream. Habitually waited for any other sound, but none came. They were too far away to hear anything like that.

“Will be back soon, Kit. Okay? I’ll come back and check on ya.” I rubbed my fingers over my shirt, wiping any moisture away from the pads of my hands.

I scurried out of the Greene house, skipping out onto the grass beds. The forest edge stared back at me, reminding me of our bad day yesterday. One week and we’d be back out there. Back to hiding in trees and empty houses. Nowhere to go to. Nowhere to turn back to.

The muffled sounds of voices from around the house caught my attention. I followed them blindly. Heart thumping wildly in its cavity. I hoped the hick wasn’t there.

As I rounded the house, I noticed a litter of tents. Sheltered underneath scattered trees was a camp, surrounding an RV and a small campfire.

For now, it was mostly empty.

Another round of shots made me jump. My eyes flew to the sky as I trudged over to the camp, birds fluttering out of tree tops. I guessed they were at least a few miles out, far enough away that we were safe from attracting anything.

A man stood above the campfire, prodding a pot that lingered above it. Shadowing his chin was a thick brush of white hair, and plopped on the top of his head was a bucket hat. He eyed me curiously, but not as though I were a stranger. He lifted his arm up a little, almost giving me a slight wave. His black Hawaiian shirt sliding down his arms as he did.

Beside him was a beautiful woman. Dark waves were fluttering behind her shoulders, showing her pale neck. She wore a loose purple shirt, tucked neatly into tight jeans. A furrowed expression stole at her brows. And at once I knew she was a mum.

I stepped over to them, feeling the awkward ache in my bones. My dark bulbs were driven into the floor until I was metres from the camp fire. My heart thudded against my chest lightly. No Daryl. Thank god.

Neither of us were sure of what to say.

So I raised my hand and drew a sheepish wave.

“Hi.”

The man spoke first. “Nice to meet you-” his voice raised in question.

“Nora,” I finished. My eyes flickered between the two of them. Their blank expressions even.

“Nora,” the man repeated, his withered lips tilting into a small smile. “Dale. This is Lori. There’s a few more floating around here, but most of us are out at gun practice.”

Lori gave the tiniest nod before looking down at her hands. Something riddled her mind. Another round of shots confirmed Dale’s information. I followed their gazes down to their hands and squinted my eyes. Inside the pot was bubbling water, streams of steam twisting into the air like clouds.

My throat almost groaned in desire.

Reading my mind, Dale cupped a mug of water for me. I took it thankfully, clutching my fingers around the warm glass.

One of the tents nearby stirred, shaking before the door flap was lifted. Another figure peered outside, poking their neck into the open air and searching around. At first I thought it was a man, but after another quick glance I realized it was a woman. Our eyes met. Hers narrowed. Brows furrowed. She hesitated, like she was torn, before she ripped out of the tent.

The woman scampered closer. Her body thin. Head shaved. A fiery intent fishing around in her dark eyes.

I expected her to slow down the closer she got, but I could swear she went a little faster. Lori and Dale cocked their heads to watch her little strut. Lori brought a lazy arm out to catch her, but the woman swatted it away.

Her eyes never wavered from mine. She lifted her arm up to me. A step away.

Before I could even register what was happening, the woman slapped me across the face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go. Sorry it's a little bit late! Had a little think about what I want to happen next so hopefully I have a track to follow!

Did you enjoy? Dislike? Expect this? Please comment! Even one sentence will do enough to motivate me. (:

Thank you to Kiwi_Piwi and poison and blood for your beautiful comments. They encouraged me to pump out this next chapter! Haha.

Lots of love, Tara.