Status: THANKS!

Dubois: Fairy Rings

Chapter 2: School day

The next morning I woke up feeling disgusting. When you wake up realizing you slept with a mushroom on your nose all night, you realize what real fear is. A knock blared at my door, loudly and violently. Rushing to my feet, I swung the door open.
"ADRIAN! Get dressed! You've missed your carpool!" My Aunt Linda said, finally losing her fake 'Good Aunt' attitude and went straight back to the typical 'Bad Aunt' attitude.
Getting dressed, I realized I accidentally got my mom's laundry mixed up with my own back at home and had brought all my mom's clothes. Seeing that Kendall wouldn't let me borrow his ever, and I had no spares, I just dressed into my mom's flower printed Hawaiian shirt and tourist shorts that all fit me...horribly. I slipped on my usual, painful, beat up brown sneakers and sneaked out the door and to the sidewalk. Running as fast as I could, I began to see my school up ahead. I really didn't want to go today. Everyone would not only be making fun of how stupid I was in Math, my pointy ears and my unnaturally tan skin, they'd make fun of my attire. I hated going in public looking like a complete doofus. But, as any respected man would do for his work, I kept on trucking.
I arrived at the boring blue school just in time. Everyone stared at me and laughed while I walked through the dirty halls. "Regardez-le!" some kids shouted meaning "Look at him!". I tried not to make eye contact with any of the jerks there but, unfortunately, it wasn't long before Fleau spotted me 'trucking' down the halls in my outfit. To my surprise, Fleau rammed me against a locker very hard. It felt like an enormous two ton plank of metal had been dropped on my back. I looked back and saw that the force had made a good sized dent in the locker.
"Well, well, well.." Fleau said with an ugly oversized toothed smile, "Look at you punk! Where'd you get those clothes, huh?" She pointed out, sarcastically. I stared at her, before realizing she actually wanted an answer.
"My mom..." I said, shamefully. The whole hall burst with laughter.
"Really?" A sweet voice called over all the others loudly. Just as I thought I would be the only laughing stock of the week, Jackie walked up wearing an outfit made entirely from vines and leaves. I assumed she made it in art class. To me, she looked beautiful all natured up like that, but to them, she looked like a dork. "I made mine an hour ago." She smiled with her curvy lips. The hall began to laugh again, but this time directed at her. She just laughed with them. I envied her for that. Her sense of humor was so great that, even when directed at her, any joke was funny.
"Hey, Jackie!" I said, once all had finally given up and gone to their classes.
"No one told me you were coming this year." She said, sounding very excited to finally see me. "I thought you were staying home until next year."
"Me too," I replied, grinning brightly at her outfit, "until my parents kicked me out." Jackie reached her hand out and grabbed mine. She began dancing around the halls with me to class. I could tell she was getting bored of hearing my voice already.
"Allez!" She called to me meaning "Go on." I listened and skipped into class, my spirits lifted from seeing her sweet smile again.
The teacher began to speak in French to all the kids. Of course, I didn't know French all that well because...well, I didn't care. Finally, after a long speech I heard my name and noticed she wanted me to come up and introduce myself. Stirring awkwardly in my seat, I slowly inched up and made my way to the front, not looking back but knowing a few twenty eyes were staring at my outfit.I turned around with my body stiffened and faced the class, letting out an enormous sigh of nerves. The whole class just stared, wide-eyed, their cheeks glistening a reddish orange for they were trying to hold back their laughs... I squeezed my eyes and puffed my cheeks, as I always did when nervous or angry, and listened to the teacher introduce me. I stayed in that position for quite awhile. I started to feel my ears getting hot, I knew they were going to stick up out of my hair soon an embarrass me further. Finally, I shot open one eye and looked about me at the smirks on the gleeful French faces. I let out the big puffed air in my cheeks and nodded to the teacher saying with a raspy voice:
"My name is Andrien---Uuuh, Je M'appelle Adrien Dubois..." I smiled, awkwardly (As always). No one said anything. A piece of crumbled paper went whizzing through the air and landed on my head.. I looked up at it, kinda sad. A few giggles arouse. Another paper flew--then another, and another. And before I knew it, my vision was completely white, for I had been pushed into a pile of crumbled papers. The teacher did nothing until she realized the Principal was coming. I felt tugs at my shirt and at my pants. Some others were hitting me in the face and others held my arms down. I couldn't see anything, because the papers were covering up my vision. I tried to fight back, but my strength died and my arms flopped down. My ears did exactly what I expected and perked up high in the air. I think the tip hit someone's eye because I heard a kid call out "Mes yeux!!". I heard Jackie's voice calling for them to stop. Finally, I managed to peek an eye out to see what was going on. The teacher was hitting Fleau in the head with a book and some other kid was shoving Jackie. He shoved her a little too hard and she fell out the window, falling only five feet. That is when I decided I had enough. I realized my hands were tingling and my body felt energized. I didn't know what this meant at the time, but I still knew I felt much more powerful. I clenched my fists so tight that they began to turn white. I felt my eyes burning, as if I was crying. I bent my stomach inward and opened my whole body out with one big jerk and a huge grunt. I noticed as soon as I did that, the vines that ran up the windows outside began to slap away my enemies to the walls. The papers around me seemed to respond too. They hopped up and folded themselves into crumbled airplanes and shot across the room, pinning the kids down. I also noticed that Jackie had climbed or something back inside and was helping me. She pushed one kid off me and helped me up. My legs felt shaky, in a good way though, like I was pumped with adrenaline. I was ready to just take a sword and fight everything--but what was I thinking, I was just a below average dork. Just then, I dropped on my face and lost that tingly feeling. All the papers dropped with me and the vines whimpered back like a scolded puppy. I heard the excited chattering of the Principal and my teacher somewhere standing above me. My sight grew dim and everything began to warp, as if doubt had drained my body of all power. I buried my face in the floor and let out one last sigh and passed out.
While I was out, I kept hearing the laughter I heard in the woods. It echoed throughout my brain. I also kept hearing someone say, "Fleau is worse.." and the voice drifted. I felt people nudging my shoulder and woke up back at my Aunt's house. My two cousins were tugging on my shirt sleeve and hopping on my stomach, excitedly.
"GET UP! GET UP!!!!" Poppy squealed, smiling with her parted teeth. Both in unison hopped down and tugged on my arm, pulling me out of bed. I fell to the floor and bopped my head, painfully.
"What do you guys want!?" I exclaimed, quite aggravated at their ignorance for my resting.
"LINDA'S GARDEN!" Kendall replied.
"IT GREW!!" Poppy added. I shook my head in amazement. Standing up, they showed me outside to the once dead garden. A fairy ring was around it with brightly colored mushrooms and inside was a beautiful rose and petunia garden. It grew higher than any garden I'd ever seen in my life. I crossed my arms in disbelief.
"But a fairy ring should've further killed the flowers..." I shook my head yet again. Poppy hopped again, out of sync with Kendall's hopping. They looked like a two holed whack-a-mole machine. One would pop up, but when you try to hit it so it leaves, the other pops up. I eyed the garden and slowly stepped towards it. Bending down on my knees, I felt the soil. It had been turned up and was moist and lively. I put my finger lightly on the thorn. I could not believe my eyes: flowers that had been dead for twelve years had just sprung to life inside a Fairy Ring. I had to be dreaming! First vines and crumbled paper reacting to my emotions, second THIS? It couldn't be real. I stood up and headed straight into the house. Could I be dreaming? Was this all my extended imagination I never had? I plopped on the couch and turned on the news. To my surprise, the man was talking about the "Rebirth of all the nature". He said it seemed as if "Mother nature had given birth to a new ruler who was young, vibrant and lively." They showed a few photos of other's gardens replenished and the fields growing again. My mouth dropped agape and I knew that this was to change me entire life...