Seize the Day

July

July

Ryder hasn’t gotten any better. He’s hospital bound now. The doctors are talking about operating.
They’re saying the treatment isn’t being effective anymore and they feel as though his best option is to operate. They tell him all the risks, the outcomes, the chances. He knows though. It’s not looking good, the chances aren’t in his favor. Ali’s by his side day and night until he tells her to go home and she does only to return the next day to sit ever faithfully by his side. She’s not willing to miss a moment that they still have together because she can feel it too. She’s trying to be strong and hopeful but she can already feel him slipping through her fingers.

Ryder can feel himself fading he knows that any day now, it’ll all be over with. He agrees to the operation in a last attempt effort to live but he’s not optimistic about it. Today he’s going into surgery and as much as he hopes for the best he knows it’ll probably be the end. Ali knows it too which is why she sits crying at his bedside.

“Hey, Beautiful.” Ryder says his voice barely a whisper. “Don’t cry. Come here.” She climbs carefully next to him in bed wrapped in his arms.

“I love you. I don’t want you to leave me,” she tells him, her voice a whisper matching his own, strong with emotion.

“I love you.” He responds kissing her gently. “I’ll always love you.” They just lay there in each other’s company dreading as the time moved forward an eventually the time came for him to go into surgery.

“Remember that first day we met.” Ryder asks getting his last glimpses of those beautiful brown eyes.

She nods, remembering. “Yeah, I do.”

“You tripped and fell and I told you ‘First day at college and the girls are already falling for me’.”

She smiles, “Yeah, you were so ridiculous.” She laughs, her amazing laugh. He’s glad he gets to hear it one more time.

“But you fell for me anyways.”

“I did.” Their time has ran out as the nurse comes in to take him away.

“I love you, Ryder.”

“I love you, Ali.” With one final embrace and kiss, they wheel him away. Their eyes remain locked on each other’s until they no longer can.