Status: Boubon and Ray-Bans is complete. The sequel is coming soon.

Bourbon and Ray-Bans

Chapter 4

The week passed and I stayed in Atlanta. Filming started up again the following Monday and being back with everyone was nice. We really did have our own little homey bubble out in the woods. If the show had been shot in LA, I’m not sure I would have signed my contract.

We missed Madison like crazy. Especially Norman. He had really taken a shine to that little girl. He told me once that he’d always wanted a daughter. I could see in his expression that he’d given up on that dream. I wasn’t sure why. He seemed to date younger girls who were more than capable of bringing healthy baby girls into the world. But Norman was mostly a mystery, even to me.

Our second week of filming, Norm and I had a scene together that involved a tussle in the woods. He was running away from me, trying to distance himself from the group. I was running after him into the woods trying to keep him from slipping away. I grabbed his shoulder, but instead of shrugging me off as the script suggested, Norman spun around, crossbow raised, and accidentally cold clocked me right in the head.

Blood oozed down my face, stinging my eyes. “What the hell?” I shouted.

“Jesus, fuck. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I was just in the moment. I didn’t mean…” His eyes were wide as he immediately pressed his bare hand against my forehead in an attempt to stop the bleeding. The medical team was on its way, but the trek through the woods would take them a few minutes.

“She needs a hospital. It’s going to need stitches. I’ll go with her.”

“What? No. No hospitals. It’s fine. Staff medics will fix me up, and we can keep shooting. Add a little authenticity to the whole zombie apocalypse theme, ya know.” I was feeling a bit woozy.

“You’re going and that’s final.” When had he become my keeper? I frowned up at him, ready to protest again, but the look on his face stopped me.

“Hey, Norm, it’s okay. Doesn’t even hurt much, really. Head wounds always bleed more. No big deal, okay?” He looked so shaken.

“I just...I’m so sorry. I don’t know why I did that. Today’s been a shitty, goddamn day.” He pressed harder on my cut.

“You okay?” I didn’t really want to pry.

“Yeah. Just had words with my kid’s mom this morning. It’ll be fine.” A few minutes later the staff medics arrived, wrapped up my head, and walked me out to the highway close to where we were filming. I was headed to the hospital after all. Norman followed.

“Go back, Norm. I’ll be fine.” He fully ignored my request and got into the car after me without saying a word. I could see him visibly relax once we pulled out onto the highway. The driver did his best to keep his eyes straight ahead, but he kept sneaking glances in the rearview mirror. I caught his eye, smiled, and waved.

Norman leaned forward, “Hey, Mister? Mind if I smoke?”

“Just roll the window down and pass one forward, bro.”

“Want one?” He pushed a cigarette at me, but I pushed it back. Rolling down the window, he lit his own and stared off into the distance. I watched him. I was beginning to realize that I watched him a lot. He had a presence that was undeniable. He’d built a career off of it and really, he seemed to have no clue the effect he had on people. If he hadn’t been so shy, he probably could have ruled the world. I snorted out loud.

He slanted his eyes at me. “Something funny?”

“Yes. You’re covered in my blood. And you stink.” I smiled at him, grabbed his left hand, and tried wiping the blood off on my shirt. “You need a shower, badly. You should have just stayed and gone home. Called your kid or something. Old men need rest.”

He pulled his hand back, but I could see his face lighten up. “Not very many people can get away with calling me old, kiddo. You best watch it. I already put a good sized hole in your head.” With that, I finally got the full grin I had been waiting for.

*********

The next few weeks were filled with filming, press junkets, and as much sleep as I could find the time for. We were becoming such a tight knit group without all the glitz and glamour of Hollywood following us everywhere we went. We felt like normal people just commuting to work every morning except we returned home bruised, battered, and covered in blood.

The November second season premiere was quickly approaching and the excitement was building. Madison had asked Norman to be her date. Laurie, Lauren, and I had made plans to go together. I was beyond nervous having never walked a red carpet before. They promised to hold my hand during the process and had helped me choose a dress.

The morning of my flight to LA arrived, and I headed to the airport super early. I wore a baseball hat in a meager attempt to hide. Fans were becoming more and more aware of me when I was out, especially in Atlanta. It was the oddest thing I had experienced thus far. Random strangers calling me Grace on the street and acting like I was an alien from outer space. One girl had even wanted a vial of my blood so she could get a vial of Norman’s and mix it together for what I could only imagine was some sort of ritual sacrifice.

I made it through security relatively ignored. The TSA agent asked for an autograph and a picture which I was more than happy to comply with. Didn’t want my name on any no-fly lists. I headed to Concourse A to grab a bite. Passing the Starbucks, I heard my name.

Andy and Norman were in line. So much for being the first to arrive. I guess everyone was a little excited.

“Hey, Brodie. Fancy meeting you here.” Hearing Andy’s English accent was a bit jarring after so many weeks of Sheriff Rick.

“You boys just can’t wait to get on that plane and head off to plastic paradise, can you? Sick of the Georgia woods already?”

“A week of mild temperatures, beaches, and no blood sounds like Heaven right about now. But by the end of the week I’ll miss the zombies and the quiet. Not the ticks, though. They can fuck right off.” Andy winked and grabbed his order.

“See y’all at the gate. I’m gonna get some grub.”

I meandered around the airport for a while since there was plenty of time to kill. I headed towards the gate 45 minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart. I found Andy, Norm, and Steven giggling in a corner about only God knows what.

“Do I dare even ask?” They only laughed harder. Andy actually had tears streaming down his face.

“Steven found a tick in a very sensitive area last night. Tell her Steven.” Norman nudged him.

“The damn thing had climbed my magic mountain and set up shop. Little fucker.”

“Jesus. I bet removing that fucker was a bitch. You boys are always getting those guys in the oddest places. I’ve lived in Georgia my whole life and never had a single tick bite.” The gate attendant called for first class passengers to board.

“That’s because boys are more delicious,” Norman joked, pushing me forward in the line. I had the window seat in the front row beside him. Andy was in the back by himself, and Steven was on the right side of the plane next to some old lady.

“Move over.” Norman was very demanding when it came to window seats.

“You want it; you gotta earn it.” I sat down and made myself comfortable, propping my head against the coveted window. He leaned down over me, placing his on my hips, his face an inch away from mine. I could smell his bubble gum breath mixed with his faint smokey scent. I had asked for this so I would have to deal with it. My heartbeat quickened. I willed it to calm the fuck down. At that moment, the girls sitting across the aisle from us starting laughing. We both turned towards the noise and saw that they had been happily snapping pictures of us. They looked like college students.

“Nevermind. I think the view from over here has suddenly improved.” Norman slipped his Ray-Bans in place, flopped down in the aisle seat, and grinned mischievously at the two girls. I closed my eyes and hoped sleep would find me soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bonus update!! Last part for today. Stay tuned for more sometime this weekend!