A Different Beat

margo gale

Ashton just stood in the doorway for a long time after Michael’s outburst. His head was reeling, still talking in what he had just seen. Michael had finally had the nerve to do with Jasey what Ashton had been dreaming about doing to Margo since the first instant they met. But as much as Ashton wanted to run out to the pool, grab the stunning brunette, and follow his friend’s lead, he knew the producers were already going to completely lose it.

“Michael.” He said simply, plopping down beside his friend where Jasey had been only seconds before. He felt his friend stiffen, but when Ashton set one of his hands on the younger boy’s shoulder, he relaxed.

“The producers are going to air that and ruin her fucking life.” Michael mumbled. “They wanted drama, I don’t know how much more they can get.”

“Look, maybe just um… no more snogging her face off until after the show. Then they really can’t stop you.” Ashton tried, but Michael just shook his head.

“They’re going to make me kick her off, I just know it.” He sighed. There was a long, tense silence before Michael turned to the older boy. “How do you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Well, it’s obvious to anyone with eyes that you’ve got it bad for Margo, you can’t hide it. So, how do not just jump her and do the naughty?” Ashton’s eyes flew open, his cheeks turning a dark shade of red. Michael learned forward, waiting as Ashton pressed his lips together into a thin line, knowing he was going to have to choose his next words very, very carefully.

“Has anyone seen Ashton?” Margo asked, looking around from her spot at the edge of the pool. She didn’t receive an immediate answer, so with a sigh, she sat up. “He was supposed to bring me some water.” She pouted, fanning herself dramatically.

“Talking to yourself again Margo?” Damien laughed from the lounge chair behind her.

“Well since I’m the only one who’ll listen.” She chuckled, her cheeks tinting pink at the thought of how crazy she must look, on top of everything else. She swung her legs out of the water, walking over to Damien. “But since I’m not my only audience anymore, have you seen Ashton? I want to practice my song with him again.” She had been terrified ever since Ashton had announced the theme, and just couldn’t seem to become sex personified.

“Ah, the passions of young love.” He cooed, sitting up and pinching her cheek. “But I would suggest if you’re going Ashton hunting, don’t wear something he’s going to want to rip right off of you. I’m sure he can find a closet or something without a camera.” She turned about twelve different shades of red as she stood back up, covering her exposed stomach with her arms.

“You could have told me this looked less than presentable before I played chicken with you on national television!” She whimpered. “Norie almost got my top off.”

“And who do you think was enjoying the view?” He laughed. She rolled her eyes before smacking his arm.

“It’s that kind of attitude that pissed off Ashton in the first place.” She scolded, shaking her head. “And I really don’t want to do another stage dive to save everyone’s behinds.” He laughed loudly at that, his head falling back.

“Don’t act like you meant to do that.” He teased. “But it was a nice touch.” She rolled her eyes, about to head out into the massive backyard to continue her quest when she heard Damien’s voice. “He’s inside, Juliet.”

“Thanks!” She called, doing a 180 and jogging inside. She was just about to call out Ashton’s name when she heard his voice. She was about to go inside, but when she heard her name she froze.

“Look, there’s nothing I want more than Margo.” Ashton admitted, lacing his fingers together. He knew he shouldn’t be saying this with cameras everywhere, but it felt so good to finally say it. “I want to hold her and kiss her and wake up to that beautiful face every morning for the rest of my life. When I thought she was with Damien I just… I couldn’t take it. I felt like shit for yelling at her, but I had been dreaming about her since the first second I saw her.”

Margo’s hands flew to her mouth, her legs shaking as she took a step back. Ashton cared about her too, no matter how cold and professional he’d been trying to act, he wanted to be with her. She smiled widely, stepping back and making sure they heard her coming this time around.

“Ashton?” She called, sticking her head in the door. He turned, looking at her with that soft smile before he cleared his throat, his face becoming serious.

“What’s up?” He asked plainly. But now that Margo knew it was an act, it didn’t hurt, it just widened her smile. She stepped fully into the doorway, smiling as Ashton’s eyes blew to the size of dinner plates at her coral bikini.

“I was hoping I could talk to you about my song choice? I’m still not too sure about it.”

“Of course.” He blurted out much too quickly, leaping to his feet. He then turned back to Michael, patting him on the back. “Remember what I said ok?” Michael nodded, watching as Ashton walked up to Margo with that huge grin. “Now come on, we might want to put some clothes on you first.”

“So.” Ashton said once they were in the practice room, Margo fully clothed. “What’s wrong with your song?”

“It’s just tough trying to sing something so heavily auto-tuned it’s supposed to be another person.” She said, leaning back. “I mean, I do like Daydream in Blue but I just don’t think it’s for me.” Ashton sighed, looking at her and running a hand through his hair.

“It’s just hard to find a sex song that someone as innocent as you can pull off.” He admitted. She scooted her chair closer to his, making his heart speed up as she leaned in.

“That’s why I don’t want to do a song about sex, at least not that kind.”

“Then what were you thinking?” He asked, leaning closer to her. She bit her lip, looking at the ground before her eyes met his again.

“What about a song about making love?” He swallowed nervously as she looked at him, smiling softly. “I was thinking of Moments.”

“Alright.” He murmured, licking his lips nervously. “But you’ve got a serious time crunch, so let’s get started.” She nodded, standing and walking over to the lights, which she dimmed. She saw the concerned look on his face and giggled.

“Just setting the mood.” She promised. She then walked over to the small microphone, taking a deep breath.

Shut the door
Turn the light off
I want to be with you
I want to feel your love
I want to lay beside you
I cannot hide this
Even though I try


She walked over to him, looking into his eyes lust like her last performance, only this time there wasn’t a stage lip to stop her.

“Heart beats harder
Time escapes me
Trembling hands
Touch skin
It makes this harder
And the tears stream down my face

Ashton couldn’t stop his body as he stood, setting his hand on her arm. He wanted nothing more than to kiss her, his lips were throbbing and his hands were shaking with his need for her. And he couldn’t hide it anymore.

If we could only have this life
For one more day
If we could only turn back time
You know I’ll be
Your life, your voice
Your reason to be
My love, my heart
Is breathing for this
Moment, in time
I’ll find the words to say
Before you leave me today


Margo couldn’t fight it anymore as she leaned towards him, her heart pounding. But just before her lips finally touched his, she felt his fingers instead. Her eyes flew open to see the pain in his perfect hazel eyes. He swallowed, taking a step back from her.

“We can’t do this.” He whispered. He felt his heart shatter as he eyes began watering, her head shaking.

“No.” She whimpered.

“Margo, both of our contracts say we can’t. We have to be professional with each other. Otherwise when you win, no one will think it was because of your talent, just because you were sleeping with me.” He winced as her anguish turned into fury.

“You think that’s all this is?” She demanded. “That I just want to sleep with you?”

“That’s not what I meant.” He tried, but she just shook her head.

“I should have just stayed in the Outback.” She whispered. “All you city bastards are exactly the same.” With that she pulled away, storming out the door before Ashton could stop her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long everyone!
But oh my goodness, DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA.
What will happen next?
We'd love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks for reading!

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee